Have a few questions on reading chords and tablature on this website, thank you

I have read on how to read tablature but I am unsure on a few things, please help me out as I have done my research but I am still confused. I am trying to learn to play althea by grateful dead, I have learned a couple other songs but the tablature for this song is confusing.

1. If you follow this link http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/g/grateful_dead/althea_crd.htm and look at the chords to play the intro, the first chord is Bm (B minor). I am confused because when I think I have my fingeres in the correct spot and strum, not only does it sound wrong but the people playing it on youtube have there fingures in a different spot. I read it like this, first finger on second fret-5th string, second finger on second fret-6th string, and third finger on 4th fret-4th string and I then strum from 5th string down. Is this correct? How am I reading it wrong?

2. There is a variation button below it, if you click either one it gives a B minor but fingers in completely different spots, does this mean it gives the same sound but with your fingers in different spots?

3. When reading a tab, how do you know how far down your guitar the chord is if it only shows the first 5?

THANKS
Can only answer 1 at the moment: the '6th string' is the thickest one, closest to your head. The '1st string' is the thinnest one, closest to the floor.
You have the fingering right. I don't have my guitar with me so I don't know how that would sound, you have to listen to the song for a strumming pattern.

The variation is just changing the notes in the chord around but retaining the same notes, so it is still a Bm chord. Just played differently for a slightly different sound. Use whichever sounds most like the song, whichever sounds nicest to you, or whichever is easiest to play.

It doesn't always show the first 5. If a chord is lower down, it will label what fret the 'first fret' in the diagram represents. For example, if next to the first fret on the diagram it said 'fret 6', that would be fret 6, and you would count upwards from there.

Hope I helped.
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Good grammar is like sex. It feels good.
Quote by Mr.Feather
You have the fingering right. I don't have my guitar with me so I don't know how that would sound, you have to listen to the song for a strumming pattern.

The variation is just changing the notes in the chord around but retaining the same notes, so it is still a Bm chord. Just played differently for a slightly different sound. Use whichever sounds most like the song, whichever sounds nicest to you, or whichever is easiest to play.

It doesn't always show the first 5. If a chord is lower down, it will label what fret the 'first fret' in the diagram represents. For example, if next to the first fret on the diagram it said 'fret 6', that would be fret 6, and you would count upwards from there.

Hope I helped.

It did a lot thank you! You say that the variation changes the sound to better fit the song, so the original one that shows is the best sounding one correct? I shouldnt have to do it because thats what the tab is there for, to show me the best fit fingering? Then how come if you follow this link the guy starts his fingers in a totally different spot?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRgIvJDLXPE&feature=related thanks again