Hello there everyone! My name is Jordan and I am soon going to be getting an electric guitar. I used to play back when I was 13 or so, but now I am 21 so I'm a bit older. I gave up on playing because I thought I sucked and I really didn't know how to play anything. I am trying to decide on what guitar I want to get...I was thinking a Fender Squire Strat or the Fender Squire Fat Strat or one of the Epiphone SG-310 or a Les Paul Special II or something. I also tried out an Ibanez for $200 and a Jackson for the same price, I'm just not sure which one would be best for me to start out on and for the type of music I like and will be playing...can anyone offer some advice? Cheers.
Get a pacifica, very versatile.
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
I can only speak for the Les Paul II. I got one. I think it's an alright guitar for starting. It's my only guitar and I've been playing it and guitar in general for a year now.

The fretboard is a bit small which feels awkward sometimes but not so much anymore for me. Also it could do with more sustain.
well, what kind of music will you be playing? strats and les pauls are great for most stuff, and the jacksons and ibanezs will tend to be aimed more at metal. i think fat strats are a great place to start. its a classic guitar, and the added humbucker gives you a little more versitility.
Quote by jof1029
well, what kind of music will you be playing? strats and les pauls are great for most stuff, and the jacksons and ibanezs will tend to be aimed more at metal. i think fat strats are a great place to start. its a classic guitar, and the added humbucker gives you a little more versitility.

I will be playing punk/rock/hard rock/grunge and metal as well I'm sure, would the strat be able to handle that? I am also planning on getting the Line 6 15 watt amp as it seems to be the best deal for the price.
strat probably isnt the best choice. itll do that stuff, but single coils arent really ideal for hard rock and metal. i personally would look towards the LP for that kind of style. though the ibanez and jackson guitars are worth a look as well.

i would also not get that line 6 amp. try out the peavey vypr. its a better practice amp.
Quote by jof1029
strat probably isnt the best choice. itll do that stuff, but single coils arent really ideal for hard rock and metal. i personally would look towards the LP for that kind of style. though the ibanez and jackson guitars are worth a look as well.

i would also not get that line 6 amp. try out the peavey vypr. its a better practice amp.

Is the Peavey in the same price range as the Line 6? What are the best guitars for Rock/Grunge/etc then?
They cost about the same. And yes, the Vypyr's indeed better.

As for the guitar, you'll want something with a humbucker in the bridge position for what you play. The aforementioned Yamaha Pacifica 112 has one and is a solid guitar all around. Epiphones are worth looking at, too, but their quality control is dodgy sometimes. Ibanez Gio instruments get alot of hate on these forums, but I like their GAX series a lot, for what they cost.

All in all, I'd recommend the Pacifica the most. It'll do what you want it to and it's versatile enough to play other styles should you ever wish to do so (and believe me, you will).
Quote by TheQuailman
They cost about the same. And yes, the Vypyr's indeed better.

As for the guitar, you'll want something with a humbucker in the bridge position for what you play. The aforementioned Yamaha Pacifica 112 has one and is a solid guitar all around. Epiphones are worth looking at, too, but their quality control is dodgy sometimes. Ibanez Gio instruments get alot of hate on these forums, but I like their GAX series a lot, for what they cost.

All in all, I'd recommend the Pacifica the most. It'll do what you want it to and it's versatile enough to play other styles should you ever wish to do so (and believe me, you will).

I've never heard of a Pacifica...any links to where I could look at one of these? I also saw a used Squire Jagmaster with 2 humbuckers...it looked pretty cool.
Quote by TheQuailman
What country do you live in?

U.S. I looked up the Vypyr and I've played on a bigger one at Guitar Center actually so I have heard of it.
What would be the reasons for not getting the Fender Squire Affinity Strat with the single coils or the Fat strat with the HSS?
Quote by TheWoodsofJorda
What would be the reasons for not getting the Fender Squire Affinity Strat with the single coils or the Fat strat with the HSS?

If you decide to get the squier fat strat (you'll definitly want the humbucker) take someone with you who is more experienced. They can be good... or not. Actualy, take that advice regardless. :-p Pacificas have a reputation for being more consistantly good but I've never played one. I own two squiers, so yeah. They can be good but be weary.
Get an Epiphone SG or go to a pawn shop and see what you can get for your price range. You can find some pretty nice guitars at pawn shops.
My Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 75w
- Epiphone SG G-310(Added Seymour Duncan's)
- Epiphone Black Beauty III
- Ibanez RG200
- Squier Telecaster Retrovibe
- John
Quote by BlockFour
If you decide to get the squier fat strat (you'll definitly want the humbucker) take someone with you who is more experienced. They can be good... or not. Actualy, take that advice regardless. :-p Pacificas have a reputation for being more consistantly good but I've never played one. I own two squiers, so yeah. They can be good but be weary.

Do you have the Squier Affinity Strat or the Fat strat?
I think a good option also will be a squier bullet fat strat, they are good guitars out of the box and, if you get the taste of it, they have a lot of modding potential.
Quote by Rice_Pilot
I think a good option also will be a squier bullet fat strat, they are good guitars out of the box and, if you get the taste of it, they have a lot of modding potential.

Can you link me to one of those? I'm not sure what the difference is compared to the other strats?
what is your budget? Also how committed are you to it this time around? If you are sure you won't quit it again, you could go for a mid-range guitar. Seeing that you're now an adult, you could take extra care of it and if you decide to leave guitar again you could sell it for a decent amount
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Don't get distracted by brand names in the pre-$1000 market. I'm backing the Pacifica over the Squier, as many people will.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Hmm, okay Alan...and yes I am more serious about it this time around. I am more dedicated to playing now than I was before. As far my musical tastes and such, the Pacifica would be good?
if you're willing to spend a little more than the pacifica a great guitar for the money would be an Agile AL-3000(around 479), which is a great, but a pretty unknown brand http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDaxIQNkirk&feature=related
or if you want to spend less, get an AL-2000(~250) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_Ru9mPqWZo

found this on ebay, for the price it's a steal http://cgi.ebay.com/Agile-AL-3000-Electric-Guitar-/290467032284?pt=Guitar
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Last edited by megano28 at Aug 23, 2010,
Quote by TheWoodsofJorda
What about a Squier Telecaster? lol

No, unless it has a humbucker in the bridge position. That part is essential for the styles you want to play.

Squiers are fine (except for the bullet series). If you happen to be able to try out both, do so. I'd personally take the Pacifica over a Squier Affinity or Standard. The Squier Vintage Modified series is nice, but also dearer than the other models.
Quote by TheWoodsofJorda
Hmm, okay Alan...and yes I am more serious about it this time around. I am more dedicated to playing now than I was before. As far my musical tastes and such, the Pacifica would be good?

The Pacifica is very versatile, especially if you get an SSH setup. At this point (or any point) is it a good idea to limit yourself to any genre? The guitar (and most others mentioned on this thread) are guitars which can cover many different styles, and accommodate to different tastes in music.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Agile guitars. Just pick one out that suits you. If you wanna play rock and metal, get one with high output humbuckers. Neck and body woods in metal vary, but the most common combo is mahogany neck and body, but maples necks work fine, as well as an alder body. I've heard mixed things about basswood, so I'd avoid it. Also, avoid a licensed floyd rose.

I bought a Douglas from them, and that's one of their cheapest brands, and I was pretty impressed with it. I'd go with agile before i touched squire and epiphone.
I have a Squier Aff. and I don't think I'd recommend it. The neck plays great, looks great but the pickups are just horrid. Plus if you want to sell it later it won't be worth shit as there are 5,000 for sale on craigslist at any given moment. MIM Fat Strat, Pacifica, Agile.. all much better choices.
Yamaha FG700S
LTD EC-1000 MGO
Agile 3k
Laney Cub 15w Head with 2x12 cab
Vox VT 20+
I would say the same as most people in this thread
I think the best low budget guitar you can get is the Yamaha Pacifica
And the best modeling amp is got to be a Peavey Vypyr's

Squires and Epiphones are not bad, but they vary a lot. Some of great, others are not so good.
You can look at the GIO ibanez series. They feel pretty nice and are versatile too.
Gear:
----------------------
Jack and Danny Brothers Ls-5
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
Zoom g9.2tt (for sale (NL))
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant
Quote by TheWoodsofJorda
Can you link me to one of those? I'm not sure what the difference is compared to the other strats?

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Bullet-Stratocaster-HSS-Electric-Guitar-with-Tremolo?sku=584391

Unlike other strats, it has a thinner body, and it's made of basswood. Still sounds pretty stratish, I tried one at a store. Oh, and I have to 2nd the Agile guitars, they are probably the best budget les paul/sg copies.
Last edited by Rice_Pilot at Aug 24, 2010,
Dude, I'd get a Cort starter pack actually. They are fantastic starter guitars.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt