I searched, but to no avail.
So Im almost 17 and Im looking at getting a motorcycle for all around cheap price and great gas mileage. What does the pit think?
Im currently interested in this model
http://www.gassavers.org/garage/view/463
Also, what kind of things would I have to pay or go through in order to get a certified liscence?
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
go for it im 20 and ride on a 95 ducati supersport 900

nothing like riding a motorcycle..
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
The only problem I have Is the lack of space for my gear. But what are friends for, anyway?
You should know what kind of licence you need for a motorbike.

In the UK you need to do a Compulsory Basic Training course then take a 125 licence if you're under 21, or if you're over you can do a 500cc licence.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

I live in the US, so Im assuming that It will probably be quite diffrent.
Quote by c3powil
I live in the US, so Im assuming that It will probably be quite diffrent.

in Rhode Island we have to take a class at a community college a few times, learn the bike, take a test, get said license. all motorcycle licenses are the same here.
I'm in California and I took the basic rider course (1 day lecture 2 days driving). At the end of the program, if you pass the exam you get the driving part of the test waived from the DMV.
Then I went to the DMV to take the written test for the permit. I showed them the driving waiver and got my license same day.
Quote by SOADrox429
Dude... I want to date a drum major. I bet they could fuck in time to Tool.
Last edited by chris88kolate at Aug 22, 2010,
Looks like things are a bit diffrent in good ole Georgia.
1.Must be 17 years of age and have parental consent, if under age 18.
2.Under age 18, Certificate of Attendance (Form DS-1) must be presented.
3.Must successfully complete a motorcycle examination which includes special road signs test, a special road rules test and an actual driving test on a motorcycle.
4.You must also pass a vision test. If the vision test was administered and passed during the year in conjunction with another license issuance, the eye test may be waived.
5.If the applicant meets the established requirements for a Class M license, and also possesses a Class C or combination of other classes of permits, that license must be surrendered and a photographic license containing the Class M endorsement will be issued. The applicant will not be given a refund for their remaining period of validity of the other license, but such endorsements would run concurrently with the Class M endorsement.

That vision test would really screw me over. I have to wear glasses on my drivers liscence.
You wish. Once you start looking at your insurance costs you'll change your mind. I feel your pain, but unless you're rich a sportbike (even a 250cc) in your teens is prohibatively expensive.

Unless rates in the States are a lot lower than they are in Canada (ON)
Those ninja 250 are good beginner bikes, so go for it. Take the riding course what you learn there will likely save your life.
I have a 1997 Gilera Storm, and i love it.
Here's my baby, covered in mud after a raid in the nearby mountain ranges:

It has 14-inch wheels, with a racing Michelin tire on the front, and an all-road tire on the back.
Showa racing front shock absorbers with a Piaggio disc brake.
50cc of pure adrenaline!

Next upgrade: a Torsen WD swing arm.

I really love how i can always cut through traffic, always find a parking spot...
I even like to ride it during downpours!

And very often i meet up with friends early on Saturday mornings (like 6 or 7AM) to go and ride more than 120km in the mountains, through narrow passes and goat paths...
I handle it like an ATV, and she takes it like a champ!

Motocycles are great, and i'll buy a BMW GS Adventure (the ones Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman used on Long Way Around/Down) as soon as possible.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
everywhere I've looked, everyone's said the Ninja 250 is the one to start off with so I say go for it
Hi! I'm Andrew, and when I have a bubble in my throat I sound like Alan Rickman!

I have the BEST Jizz Face on UG!

My YouTube Channel (slowmotion stuff!): www.youtube.com/wannabeguitarlegend
Quote by Linkerman

50cc of pure adrenaline!

I drive a 50cc Piagio. And I have used the expression '50cc of adrenaline' myself.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by Linkerman
I have a 1997 Gilera Storm, and i love it.
Here's my baby, covered in mud after a raid in the nearby mountain ranges:

It has 14-inch wheels, with a racing Michelin tire on the front, and an all-road tire on the back.
Showa racing front shock absorbers with a Piaggio disc brake.
50cc of pure adrenaline!

Next upgrade: a Torsen WD swing arm.

I really love how i can always cut through traffic, always find a parking spot...
I even like to ride it during downpours!

And very often i meet up with friends early on Saturday mornings (like 6 or 7AM) to go and ride more than 120km in the mountains, through narrow passes and goat paths...
I handle it like an ATV, and she takes it like a champ!

Motocycles are great, and i'll buy a BMW GS Adventure (the ones Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman used on Long Way Around/Down) as soon as possible.

I feel sorry for you guys overseas in Europe, ya'll have no idea what real power is. 50cc eh.... The edger I use to edge my driveway is 105cc, I can't run the gas out of of it even if I ran it all day.

My dad has a Yamaha V-Star motorcycle, 1100cc, with cobra straight pipes and a hyper-charger, the thing is loud as hell. My pickup truck has a 350 cuin V-8, I can pull a 16 foot trailer loaded with a 40 horse tractor all day long.

Anyway, TS, your gona get yourself killed on that thing, but it is pretty nice. I say get a Harley, has more balls.
You could also go for a Suzuki GS500f, it's got more power to be fun but still gets great gas mileage and if very forgiving.
Gear:
Ibanez RG570 circa 1993
Ibanez S2020XAV
Carvin DC127
EVH 5153 50w
Orange PPC112
AxeFX II
Quote by ethan_hanus

My dad has a Yamaha V-Star motorcycle, 1100cc, with cobra straight pipes and a hyper-charger, the thing is loud as hell. My pickup truck has a 350 cuin V-8, I can pull a 16 foot trailer loaded with

I feel bad for you Americans, who find amusement in pulling heavy shit and making loud noises.

My dad has a 1000cc Honda Hurricane and a BMWS1000RR. My dad would beat your dad in a race.

Scooters are where it's at, though.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by Vornik
I feel bad for you Americans, who find amusement in pulling heavy shit and making loud noises.

My dad has a 1000cc Honda Hurricane and a BMWS1000RR. My dad would beat your dad in a race.

Scooters are where it's at, though.

The reason we find it amusing to pull heavy shit all the time is because over here, this place is huge...and the tractor in this field has to go 50 miles south to this other field so we can make more money, I don't think a scooter is gona pull a 40 horse tractor.

Trucks are necessary, a lot of people depend on them to do their job, cause a smart car is not gona transport lawn mowing gear, or concrete bags, or lumber, or dry wall, or fertilizer, or all the shit people like to bring with them on vacation or when they are moving, etc.

And I wouldn't doubt it, my dad's bike is a cruiser, not a racer. But I bet my friends Chevelle SS would give it a run for it's money.
Quote by zdh
You wish. Once you start looking at your insurance costs you'll change your mind. I feel your pain, but unless you're rich a sportbike (even a 250cc) in your teens is prohibatively expensive.

Unless rates in the States are a lot lower than they are in Canada (ON)

dont know what the hell your talking about its like 20$ a month for me.

oh and TS 450 nighthawk aint that bad for a first bike. can get like 45 miles to the gallon and they are fairly fast too.
Quote by Vornik

I drive a 50cc Piagio. And I have used the expression '50cc of adrenaline' myself.

I don't know if you're aware of the fact that Gilera is a subsidiary of Piaggio & Co. SpA...
Gilera is kinda like Piaggio's high-performance division.

Quote by ethan_hanus
I feel sorry for you guys overseas in Europe, ya'll have no idea what real power is. 50cc eh....

Way to speak gibberish without knowing what you're talking about.

Here in Europe, there are all kinds of bikes.
But for example, here in Portugal we can get a special 50cc license at age 16.
So of course most kids around here have 50cc bikes. It's what we are legally allowed to drive.

Even so, i have plenty of friends who got 125cc and 250cc bikes when they turned 18... Others don't mind the illegality of driving without a license, and have high-powered 4x4 ATVs (with 500cc and more)...

Among older people, in Europe you can find every kind of bike, of every brand, with every kind of engines available.
So don't go spewing nonsense about Europe, because you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

On a personal note, i still can't afford a bigger bike...
But as i said, my objective is to get a BMW GS Adventure as soon as possible. THAT's a bike with real power.
For me, track bikes are just crotch rockets. I want a bike to take me to the end of the world and back, through rough terrain.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Aug 23, 2010,
I'm definitely getting a motorcycle in the near future. Will probably not be the sportier looking kind, but a more retrp cruiser kind of thing.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
That's how I felt until I saw the one I got. The looks drew me in and I though why not, whilst I'm still young enough to have a back that still works and no arthritis in the elbows.
It's not that I thik it's too fast or powerful, I just prefer the styles of cruisers. Visually. I've been looking at yamaha virago 535 and a few other models I can't remember, maybe if I find a sportier one with a very very low mileage I could consider it, but it's not really my style.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by jimmyled
Go for a Harley-Davidson.

I wish I had one...

Just make sure this doesn't happen to you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7hQN4Amaeg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoPybh5G8jE&feature=related
Hi! I'm Andrew, and when I have a bubble in my throat I sound like Alan Rickman!

I have the BEST Jizz Face on UG!

My YouTube Channel (slowmotion stuff!): www.youtube.com/wannabeguitarlegend
Man i want a bike so bad but i'll admit im kinda scared of em. I can always imagine a bad spill on the highway and gettin hit by a car while im in the road.

Anyone have any ideas for simple starter bikes that would fit a shorter (5'9) but stockier (195 lbs) guy? Im fairly athletic and have good upper and lower body strength but id still like to start off with a "mild" bike before i step up to something crazy. Also could i get an explanation of the numbers and the difference between a 800 and a 1200 and how much this truly affects the overall ride? Any pics would be nice too and im looking for a sporty type of crotch rocket im not into cruisers or choppers.
Knowledge is power
Quote by Lt.DustyBanana
You could also go for a Suzuki GS500f, it's got more power to be fun but still gets great gas mileage and if very forgiving.

I agree. Except I would get the GS500E model.
The GS500 series is a good starting choice.
;} KsE
Last edited by BigDwii at Aug 23, 2010,
I'm 17, I have a 1982 suzuki gs400t I bought it for around $800 after the new bat and tires, and it costs me almost 2500 for insurance a year and it runs at $8 a tank getting 100 miles per tank
Arcane Echo

Just call me Ethan
Quote by Arcane_Echo
...costs me almost 2500 for insurance a year ...

My Honda XR650, CB450, and Hobbit cost me a total of $300 per year, with 500 grand worth of coverage on each.

Edit: Ohhh... 17, but that's still a boatload for an old bike.
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Aug 23, 2010,
Quote by Arcane_Echo
I'm 17, I have a 1982 suzuki gs400t I bought it for around $800 after the new bat and tires, and it costs me almost 2500 for insurance a year and it runs at $8 a tank getting 100 miles per tank

2500!!!!
Well, there goes that idea...