View poll results: Which Pickups?
Klein H-1 set (neck and bridge)
1 50%
Klein H-1 neck, Klein 1958 PAF bridge
1 50%
Other (please specify)
0 0%
Voters: 2.
I let my friend borrow my main amp so lately i have been using my back up amp ( a small 15w orange crush) and i have noticed that when i play on my neck pick up no matter how low i roll down the volume on the guitar, or the bass on the amp it sounds incredibly muddy... i dont even really want to play because i just cant get a good clean sound out of my neck pick up.

I keep the neck volume and gain on about 6-7
I keep the bridge volume on about 8 and the gain on 7

My EQ for the amp is Low - 7 Mid - 5 High 7

I play mostly blues and jazz so having a nice clean tone is important, my first question is, what can i do to clean up the neck pick up? (keep in mind rolling down the guitar volume does absolutely NOTHING to clean it up) very strange i know...

I have also lowered the neck pick up height WAY down, this helped, but just a little.

My second question is, I have been wanting to change out the pickups in my SG for a while now, and what it came down to was this for the neck, and this for the bridge, as i said before i play mostly clean jazz, and some light overdriven blues. would these pick ups seize the deal or do you have any better recommendations? my budget is about 200$ I am almost 100% positive i want that neck pickup, but i have yet to truly decide on the bridge pick up.

Also i apologize if you have trouble understanding this post, i am terrible at communicating and have very bad grammer.

EDIT: also, i wasnt sure to post this in GG&A or here, I will move it if necessary
Last edited by Littleangus44 at Aug 22, 2010,
For pickups go to the ultimate pickup thread. It's in Gear building and customization. IT's a sticky.

As for the muddiness:
Why does it HAVE to be the neck pickup?
By gain on the guitar volume do you mean your tone knob or do you have some mods on your guitar?
Turn the bass down on your EQ?
If there is wood to unscrew in the back then take it out and there will be less bass.
Quote by salgala2000
For pickups go to the ultimate pickup thread. It's in Gear building and customization. IT's a sticky.

As for the muddiness:
Why does it HAVE to be the neck pickup?
By gain on the guitar volume do you mean your tone knob or do you have some mods on your guitar?
Turn the bass down on your EQ?
If there is wood to unscrew in the back then take it out and there will be less bass.

Well i prefer playing on the neck pickup for cleans, and bridge for overdrive.
Yes i meant the tone knob instead of gain, and rolling the bass down on my EQ didnt clean it up, its really hard to explain. its almost like a light distorted sound that im getting, and when i play out of the neck pick up it is about 3 times louder than the bridge pick up, with the neck volume on 5, and bridge volume on 10
for under 200 you could go with the seymour duncan sh-2 jazz for the neck pick up. i have a mahogany ibanez RG prestige with that pick up in the neck position and it is unbelievably good when clean even when the gain is pushed way up for heavier leads. if you roll back the volume on that pickup, with lower gain it really changes the sound. they're pretty cheap too around 80 dollars. they have the covered as well as uncovered. it's got good mids, really good low response. for a bridge pickup i would recommend a sh-1 1959, it says it's for vintage blues, it's moderate output, but with a low gain setting it will be good for blues. I would also try the Duncan APH-1B alnico II, or the sh-15.
Could try lowering the pickups in the meantime, could help out with the muddiness
Hi! I'm Andrew, and when I have a bubble in my throat I sound like Alan Rickman!

I have the BEST Jizz Face on UG!

My YouTube Channel (slowmotion stuff!): www.youtube.com/wannabeguitarlegend