Can someone explain to me what should go in the main signal and the order from guitart to amp, and also what types of pedals should go through the effects loop?

Thanks a bunch guys
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
or if you have an FX loop

Guitar - Tuner - Wah - (EQ) - Fuzz - Comp - OD - Dist - Amp - (EQ) - Modulation - Delay - Reverb

or if you're me with a loop:

[guitar] - a/b (tuner out) - wah - signal booster - comp - OD - fuzz/dist - modulation - EQ - [amp] - modulation - noise gate - delay - reverb - EQ - sonic maximizer.
Last edited by GrisKy at Aug 22, 2010,
There's no wrong way man...the wah is generally first after the guitar but everything is else is pretty much personal preference...I go wah,overdrive,octave,delay,phaser,chorus,amp but I switch it alot
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Quote by rdobson2
There's no wrong way man...the wah is generally first after the guitar but everything is else is pretty much personal preference...I go wah,overdrive,octave,delay,phaser,chorus,amp but I switch it alot

true, I guess I'm just conventional

nice gear btw, rdob. are you using the chain you described in your clips? i'm 'bout to go check 'em out.
Sound modulation and time-based effects will normally go into the effects loop. This includes Chorus, Vibrato, Tremolo, Reverb, Delay, and whatever else that is similar to that. If you have a Boss NS2 noise suppressor, you can also run that through the loop.
Quote by GrisKy
true, I guess I'm just conventional

nice gear btw, rdob. are you using the chain you described in your clips? i'm 'bout to go check 'em out.

Yeah most of my clips are with the rig described in my sig...I add the octave to more board when I play with my band BWDM cause we do a lot of covers like hendrix and trower lol...but yeah its mostly that stuff .I use a les paul custom with emgs on home for halloween...before I sold it lol

I'm in the process of creating my pedal board and was planning on running the whole thing through my amp's FX Loop. Anything wrong with that?

Guitar -> Amp -> (FX Loop Send) Tuner -> Chorus -> Phaser -> OD -> (FX Loop Return)

I'll also be adding a compresser, delay and eq in there eventually.
And, yes, I like the sound of the modulators before the OD (which will be primarily a boost).

Basically, is it ok to have an OD/Boost in the FX Loop?
Call me Michael...

Mixing
Need something mixed? Send me a PM with the details! Cheap rates, fast turnaround, satisfaction guaranteed!

Certifications:
Pro Tools HD9
Logic Pro 9 Master Pro
I've never used an effects loop before but I've heard they help take some of the noise away?

Quote by rdobson2
I've never used an effects loop before but I've heard they help take some of the noise away?

Not necessarily, it's just that some pedals sound better after the preamp, and some sound better before it.

Also to the TS, there is no "order", it's just whatever works for you, and sounds better to your ears. Right now, mine is (FX loop included)

Guitar -> Noise Suppressor -> Tuner -> Amp -> EQ -> Compressor -> Noise Suppressor -> Amp

Some people might want their tuner before their noise suppressor, but mine is true bypass, so it doesn't make much difference where I put it, and it works where it is because of the space I have to work with on my board.

Just try different combinations. You'll find that certain pedals sound better in certain spots, but it's really dependent on your rig and your preferences.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by TasianSensation
I'm in the process of creating my pedal board and was planning on running the whole thing through my amp's FX Loop. Anything wrong with that?

Guitar -> Amp -> (FX Loop Send) Tuner -> Chorus -> Phaser -> OD -> (FX Loop Return)

I'll also be adding a compresser, delay and eq in there eventually.
And, yes, I like the sound of the modulators before the OD (which will be primarily a boost).

Basically, is it ok to have an OD/Boost in the FX Loop?

no, there's nothing "wrong" with that, but an OD's job is mainly to push the preamp harder. since you're bypassing that stage, you're going to be seriously coloring your tone and hitting the poweramp with your OD.

to clarify, that's an amplified signal being further pushed by your OD pedal... that's some serious signal strength hitting your power tubes, and you'll find yourself using the bare minimum settings, in a sense defeating your master volume control.
I use:
Guitar -> Wah -> OD -> Amp
If I had never sold any of my gear:
Guitar -> Wah -> Octave -> OD -> Amp
The way I usually see it done:
Guitar -> Wah -> Pitch (octave, harmonizer, pitch shifter) -> Comp -> OD/Dist -> Suppressor -> Amp (loop) ->Modulation (Chorus, tremolo, phase, flange) -> Time (Delay, Loop, reverb) -> Suppressor -> Amp
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Guitar -> Line 6 M13 -> Amp on clean channel.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by salgala2000

Gtfo and stfu. It's a forum, it's allowed to ask questions.
Steam ID
XFire profile

Quote by Delboyuk_01
I don't think you can go wrong with a Black guitar, white ones are almost as good but black ones are better, white ones just don't sound quite as good.
isnt a noise gate supposed to be last always, like just before the pre amp or/and just before the power amp? or idk power amp or rectifier but last in the loop.

Also, where is the volume pedal? no-one of yall had one...