Hello folks,

I have a peavey classic 30 which I play thru using my american strat with a nailbomb humbucker in the bridge. I am looking for a heavier, more metal tone so the obvious choice would be an overdrive pedal before the amp to boost the gain. Which pedal do you think would really beef up this amp's overdrive channel to get it into the metal ballpark?

Thanks
A ten-band EQ pedal would be good. It can be used to boost the amp for more gain and can also be used to shape your tone more effectively than the amp's EQ.

On the cheap, an OD pedal like a Digitech Bad Monkey or Boss SD-1 should do.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Strat + C30 is not really a combination I'd advise for metal. An overdrive won't be sufficient, get a distortion like a Barber Dirty Bomb.

I was thinking using the overdrive to boost the amps gain channel, i mean if ive got valves sitting there i wouldnt want to put the amp on clean and have SS pedal distortion
Quote by TheQuailman
^Strat with a 'bucker should be fine I think?

Don't think a strat will deliver the same deep tones associated with metal and heavier music as a guitar with a thick mahogany body, even if that strat has a humbucker. I'm not saying it won't work, it's just not ideal.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Strat + C30 is not really a combination I'd advise for metal. An overdrive won't be sufficient, get a distortion like a Barber Dirty Bomb.

A Strat with a Nailbomb in the bridge will be as good as any alder-body guitar with a nailbomb in the bridge. Have to agree on the amp though, not the best choice.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
if you strat has a nailbomb pup in the bridge your classic 30 should be able to due metal fine with a od boost. a digitech bad monkey would do. i used to have a classic 30 running a ibanez ts9 with my rg and it did get pretty gain-y enough for metal

EDIT: while i agree with the rest that there are better more suitable amps for metal the classic 30 should hold its on if you add a OD pedal on top of you strat with the nailbomb pup
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Last edited by SomebodySomeone at Aug 22, 2010,
Quote by flashmdg
I was thinking using the overdrive to boost the amps gain channel, i mean if ive got valves sitting there i wouldnt want to put the amp on clean and have SS pedal distortion

A boost would get you closer to what you want. A good cheap option is the LPB-1. Keep in mind though a Classic 30 boosted will still only go so far. Think 80's Megadeth or Metallica tone.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Don't think a strat will deliver the same deep tones associated with metal and heavier music as a guitar with a thick mahogany body, even if that strat has a humbucker. I'm not saying it won't work, it's just not ideal.

Not necessarily. Filter play all sorts of Fenders with humbuckers and they get a really deep sound out of them.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Quote by SomebodySomeone
if you strat has a nailbomb pup in the bridge your classic 30 should be able to due metal fine with a od boost. a digitech bad monkey would do. i used to have a classic 30 running a ibanez ts9 with my rg and it did get pretty gain-y enough for metal

nice one cheers

and its made of ash btw
A good boost should get you into metal territory though not extreme high gain modern metal. IIRC MatrixClaw has some clips of a C30 or C50 boosted doing metal.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by WtrPlyr

We can talk about 'ideal' when he's got a multi-thousand-dollar rig. A C30 with a boost and anything resembling a guitar with a humbucker in the bridge is just fine.
why do so many say the c30's no good for metal? maybe not death, sure, but hair is still a form of metal.

just sayin', it's like a poor man's JCM800. OD that SOB and let'r rip.
Quote by justinb904
A good boost should get you into metal territory though not extreme high gain modern metal. IIRC MatrixClaw has some clips of a C30 or C50 boosted doing metal.

Nice one, so you reckon a cleaner boost like the fulltone fat boost would be better than an overdrive? Or maybe use an overdrive set to low gain and high volume?
Quote by TheQuailman
OD with low gain and high level is the usual way to go about it.

I'm still thinking an EQ-pedal would do you a lot of good.

Cool would you reckon boost the overall volume on the eq and maybe scoop the mids a little? But maybe an overdrive would be better as it could add the slightest bit of "edge" which may sound phatter?
Dunno what you mean by 'edge'.

An OD will work just fine, yes. But an EQ pedal would let you boost the low end a bit, for example, which helps with teh br00tz.
Quote by TheQuailman
Dunno what you mean by 'edge'.

An OD will work just fine, yes. But an EQ pedal would let you boost the low end a bit, for example, which helps with teh br00tz.

Ah yes good point there by "edge" i meant a slight bit of crunch that would add to teh hUge METUL tonezz
Quote by flashmdg
Cool would you reckon boost the overall volume on the eq and maybe scoop the mids a little? But maybe an overdrive would be better as it could add the slightest bit of "edge" which may sound phatter?

The idea of boosting is to hit the preamp with more voltage so it the tubes clip more adding more distortion. Most people who use an od pedal to boost set the gain on the pedal all the way down so the signal doesn't clip in the pedal rather it gets boosted and the tone is chanced slightly.

Personally I'd use an eq, boost the mids and curve off some of the bass to tighten it up and prevent mud then eq the amp after that as necessary. I'd be careful about boosting the bass before the amp because that has a tendency to get muddy if you're not careful. Imo it's better to turn up the bass on the amp's eq after the distortion.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Aug 22, 2010,
Quote by flashmdg
Ah yes good point there by "edge" i meant a slight bit of crunch that would add to teh hUge METUL tonezz

Either pedal will do that. Gain isn't really a problem. You probably won't need to dial in any drive on the OD, should you go for that option. It's all about a tight and defined sound. OD pedals happen to give you just that. EQ pedals allow for more fine-tuning.

As an example, I use a Laney GH50 amp, with the gain at 5/10. Your C30 can reach those levels of gain and more, easily. Then I use my OD with 0 drive and level on max to boost it for metal. Gets very very brootl. Add to that that you use a pickup that is a lot hotter than anything I use and you'll see why you don't need to worry about gain, at all.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Aug 22, 2010,
Ah nice thanks for the help do you reckon a tubescreamer would do the trick nicely? or maybe an OCD? which one do you use?
Quote by justinb904

that's the one i sold him!
that proof right there that c30 can handle metal
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
I use a home made tubescreamer-clone. Any OD should work - I don't see a point in getting the OCD unless you need something that can also function as a distortion pedal.

SD-1 or Bad Monkey for cheap, Maxon OD808 if you want something of higher quality.

EDIT: The Maxon is pretty much the same thing as the original tubescreamers.
Quote by SomebodySomeone
that's the one i sold him!
that proof right there that c30 can handle metal

I listened to those, I knew deep down that it was possible
Quote by TheQuailman
I use a home made tubescreamer-clone. Any OD should work - I don't see a point in getting the OCD unless you need something that can also function as a distortion pedal.

SD-1 or Bad Monkey for cheap, Maxon OD808 if you want something of higher quality.

EDIT: The Maxon is pretty much the same thing as the original tubescreamers.

Awesome, I reckon its time to get the iron out and build a nice tubescreamer