I just sanded a few necks and was wondering a few things. First off how many coats of Tung Oil is sufficient? I've heard people use 5-6 coats and I've also heard people just use lemon oil to clean it and never bother. With that in mind would 1-2 coats be ok?

This whole 24 hour cure time between coats is crazy. Which brings me to my next question, is it ok to just re-apply another thin layer after maybe 6 hours or less? I also heard it's ok to go again after 2 hours as long as you're not sanding. Any help is appreciated.
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
I use Tung-Oil finish quite a bit. I always wait at least 24hrs between coats. I have tried waiting only a short period between coats as I saw on a tutorial once, but the piece stayed sticky for 2 weeks. When I wait 24 hours between coats the stickiness is gone about 24hrs after the last coat dries.

As far as coats is concerned, I do at least 3, and the more you do the more shine you get. Once you get a look you are happy with I'd stop there.

Edit: Here is a body I tung-oiled. This piece has 3 coats.
Last edited by Matt420740 at Aug 22, 2010,
Awesome, so maybe 3 coats is where I'll stop. That looks about where I wanted it but results may vary too. Only reason I'd want to go shorter than 24 hours is because I'm doing this to 3 guitars at once but the end results will be very much worth it.

Rosewood is ok with just lemon oil though right?
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
Last edited by CM_X5 at Aug 22, 2010,
Half the problem with stickyness is you should be wiping back the oil with a rag after it's had about half an hour to absorb into the wood. Then you wait and apply another coat.
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Better than my plan, look at those perfect little dick suckin' lips!
Kid's a natural I tell yah!Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
Marshall JCM 900 SL-X
Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded
Fender Mexican Standard Telecaster
Hey I built a guitar
Quote by Steve Holt
Half the problem with stickyness is you should be wiping back the oil with a rag after it's had about half an hour to absorb into the wood. Then you wait and apply another coat.

I always wipe down my pieces. Tung oil gets hard to wipe after about 5 min. I don't recommend letting it set for half an hour. Its going to be sticky until it cures, thats just the way tung-oil is, no matter how much wiping you do. And if you don't wait long enough between coats, then it will take much longer to cure.
When I do tung oil, I put it on a rag, give the neck a good wipe down, and then let it sit for about a minute. Then I rub it with the same rag to remove excess and just even everything out. The first coat I let soak in for 12 hours, and then I'd buff it with steel wool. After that, I'd apply every 6 hours (you can wait longer or whatever) until it's nice and smooth and shiny after being steel wooled. It worked great on my neck, and it only took a couple days.
EDIT: I think there are different tung oil formulas though. If it matters, I used formby's high gloss tung oil.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Last edited by salsawords at Aug 22, 2010,