i have been playing for 2.5 years now and i love hendrix the stone the who people like that. i hear that their music is based off the blues...should i learn the blues to be able to play more like them? and will it help me play their songs better
Who's your daddy... well not me cuz ur momas ugly

These things are sex transport vehichles woot

This man just got a station wagon.
It wouldn't hurt to learn some of their progressions or just basic blues progressions
if your playing rock n roll, your eventually gunna hit the blues. Basically the same thing just sped up. People like Hendrix and the stones are heavily blues based. For example satisfaction by the stones is an E blues based lick. So yes learning the blues would greatly improve your ability to play music like there's. Start with delta blues. Learn stuff by Robert Johnson, son house, rev Gary Davis, etc. Blues is easily one of the most rewarding styles to learn.
Hendrix pretty much is still blues. Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan were the first to cross the line from blues over into rock territory. Definitely learn some blues. I would not recommend starting with Stevie Ray Vaughan though, I've been playing for at least 5 years and he still kicks my a**, haha. It'll make you a better player in general if you know some blues.
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Definitely, besides the fact that the blues is an amazing genre, you get to hear what inspired your favorite artist, kind of putting you in their shoes.
Gear

EastWood Sidejack DLX
Epiphone Blues Custom 30
S.U.F VRH FUZZ
MXR Mirco Amp
BOSS BD-1 (Blues Driver)
Dunlop CryBaby
Quote by Danjo's Guitar
Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan were the first to cross the line from blues over into rock territory.

Eeeeeeh... I'd say it was Chuck Berry.

Anyways, knowing blues is pretty much vital to understanding some basic concepts of rock. Twelve-bar progressions, different licks, constructing licks, etc.
Gotta finish my work, then play some grooves, so I can turn my room into a house of blues...
Uh, yeah. and about a hundred "rockabilly" artists who were playing speeded-up blues progressions.
I say this everytime someone posts a question like gtosteve's ... Check out the roots guys.

Go on YouTube and you will find dozens of videos of the great classic blues players. There are some blues playlists that have over a hundred entries.
Check out Skip James and Albert King and Muddy Waters and Robert Johnson and all the related cats.
That's where it's all coming from. Those guys came up out of the Delta and started recording in Memphis and Chicago when they got tired of starving on the "Chitlin'" circuit.
Saw Albert King at the big "Fair St. Louis" just a few months before he died. They had him set up on one of the smaller stages South of the arch. He was supposed to stop playing when the fireworks started, but the audience wouldn't let him quit.
One of the park rangers came by and saw how much the crowd was into the music and just waved "play on!"
Hot blues and fireworks.....Doesn't get much better.
Albert king was amazing...if you wanna play stevies licks learn your albert! Lol....blues will teach you good phrasing too bro
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
If you want to hear who influenced SRV listen to Buddy Guy, Stevie himself said if it weren't for Buddy Guy there would be no SRV. Hendrix showmanship and playing was influenced by Buddy Guy also.

I missed Buddy Guy in April but I have my BB King Tickets for November.
Quote by gtosteve65
i have been playing for 2.5 years now and i love hendrix the stone the who people like that. i hear that their music is based off the blues...should i learn the blues to be able to play more like them? and will it help me play their songs better

Here's some advice. If you want to play more like your heroes you should listen to what they used to listen to when they were still new at learning the ropes. Everyone is influenced by a handful of players and to get inside of the mind of your hero, in my opinion it really pays off to listen to what influenced them as players.

So, I'm not saying go play the blues. I'm saying, start off listening to it more.

Hope this helps,
Willem
Please visit http://www.theloneguitaristblog.com