does learning the blues help u play better on guitar because hendrix jimmy page clapton and people like them play it and they are amazing
Who's your daddy... well not me cuz ur momas ugly

These things are sex transport vehichles woot

This man just got a station wagon.
Why yes. Learning anything helps.

Are you looking for instructions? There's a forum section dedicated to that, and video lessons on the front page...
well is there a technique behind the blues or just a saying to when u play a lot of notes

Well. It depends what you're aiming to play, if you want to play blues, then yes, learning blues is obviously useful, as it can be with styles such as classic rock, jazz (to some extent) and others. However if you're going to play metal or something like that, learning blues might not be as useful (:

Quote by gtosteve65
well is there a technique behind the blues or just a saying to when u play a lot of notes

Wait. What?
Last edited by *powerslave* at Aug 22, 2010,
Since blues originated as a folk music, alot of techniques and riffs were passed around between blues artists, so songs like "Hoochie Coochie" man or Bo Diddley's "Road Runner" give you alot to work with.
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Vox Night Train 15W
An ever-morphing BOSS and MXR loaded pedalboard

"I eats more chicken any man ever seen!"
-Howlin' Wolf
Quote by gtosteve65

Try the pentatonic scale. Play some blues in the background and try to improvise over it.
Quote by TheQuailman
Try the pentatonic scale. Play some blues in the background and try to improvise over it.

+1

Or, try the blues scale, which is just the minor pentatonic with a flattened 3rd, 5th and 7th.
ive heard an interview that clapton said and he says he tries to keep the blues in his music so should i learn that classic rock that he plays or the blues he speaks about

Quote by *powerslave*
+1

Or, try the blues scale, which is just the minor pentatonic with a flattened 3rd, 5th and 7th.

No, you're a bit mixed up; the blues scale is the minor pentatonic with an added flattened 5th/augmented 4th.

The third, sixth and seventh of the major scale are flattened to get the minor scale, and the pentatonic simply takes the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 7th intervals from the minor scale.
Quote by gtosteve65

You've mistaken blues for shred.

But seriously go to the lessons section and search around.
Quote by mishax92
No, you're a bit mixed up; the blues scale is the minor pentatonic with an added flattened 5th/augmented 4th.

The third, sixth and seventh of the major scale are flattened to get the minor scale, and the pentatonic simply takes the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 7th intervals from the minor scale.

hahaha yeah I've just realised what an arse I've just made of it, thankyou sir for the correction
haha i have no idea what you are talking about

Then you really need to go to the section devoted to music theory and learn some basics. No offense, but this is some stuff you'll want to know. And I'm not going to explain all of it here, because a) it'd be really a lot of writing and b) it's covered in the theory section already.

It's not hard, I promise. Just look up scales and how they work.
Quote by *powerslave*
Well. It depends what you're aiming to play, if you want to play blues, then yes, learning blues is obviously useful, as it can be with styles such as classic rock, jazz (to some extent) and others. However if you're going to play metal or something like that, learning blues might not be as useful (:

Actually having a firm grasp of the blues will really help if your playing heavy metal. Tony Iommi, the guitarist whom invented the genre was himself a heavily blues influenced player. I think having a firm grasp of the blues makes your riffing and soloing that much more expressive.

The blues are easy to learn, yet hard to master. Can't hurt to incorporate some of that into your own personal style.

Learning shred it may not be very useful but even then I'm sure it'll add a level of expression to your playing you otherwise may not have.