This might seem like a stupid question but is it possible to practice improv
without a backing track?
I know i can make my own backing track if i wanted to but i dont have the "tools"
to do so and None of my friends want to try and learn because they have the attention span of a goldfish...lol.
Put on an album of your choice and improvise over it.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by ZomgAC130
This might seem like a stupid question but is it possible to practice improv
without a backing track?
I know i can make my own backing track if i wanted to but i dont have the "tools"
to do so and None of my friends want to try and learn because they have the attention span of a goldfish...lol.

By definition improv is just anytime youre playing and you dont know what youre going to play next, so ya in theory you could. Although it is much more beneficial to do so over a fixed set of chord changes/riff patterns/whatever
Its already been said; you can but its better if you play over an album or just go on youtube and search for some backing tracks.
Gear

EastWood Sidejack DLX
Epiphone Blues Custom 30
S.U.F VRH FUZZ
MXR Mirco Amp
BOSS BD-1 (Blues Driver)
Dunlop CryBaby
Yeah, of course it's possible. Best thing to do is what sleaze suggested, though, as it gives you some sense of steady rythm and musical understanding, and you will actually benefit some from it musically.
Quote by ziggymidget
Yeah, of course it's possible. Best thing to do is what sleaze suggested, though, as it gives you some sense of steady rythm and musical understanding, and you will actually benefit some from it musically.

Its its actually good aural training, too. You'll have to find out what key each song is in.
Gear

EastWood Sidejack DLX
Epiphone Blues Custom 30
S.U.F VRH FUZZ
MXR Mirco Amp
BOSS BD-1 (Blues Driver)
Dunlop CryBaby
In keeping with what everyone else is saying: Try improvising a solo for a song that doesn't already have one.
I tried improvising over The Trooper and did pretty ok lol
you guys know any medium paced songs or instrumentals
that should have a solo in it?
I improv over everything I listen to for the most part. Soundtracks, post rock... that kind of cool stuff.
Martin Taylor solo guitar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USgds2Ruc8U

Joe Pass solo guitar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn0lNQD2Bhg

Also youtube has tons of backing tracks
http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/

and you can buy packs of tracks at
www.bluesjamtracks.com

or if you have guitar pro you can turn off the solo guitar and improv.

Playing a bunch of notes over no chord changes will not make you a better guitar player or soloist because you'll never hear how notes sound over top chords, you'll never learn how to make music flow that way.
Yeah guitarbackingtracks.com is killer.download something like soothsayer by buckethead or parisenne walkways by gary moore their both long and have a lot of space for flying through scales....my 2 fav backing tracks,sometimes I'll play them back to back for an hour or so without stopping,by then your fingers should be warmed up enough to do exactually what u want them to and your amp should be sounding amazing lol
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Quote by 1mmpick

Playing a bunch of notes over no chord changes will not make you a better guitar player or soloist because you'll never hear how notes sound over top chords, you'll never learn how to make music flow that way.

I agree to an extent on how it helps but what about when practicing an unaccompained solo for your live show or something?...

You still should have melody and having a progression in your head will help with that. Take like paul gilberts live solo from viking kong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dNxshHlp4w

yeah it's fast and a lot of notes but it's melodic, you won't get that if you just shred by yourself with nothing else in mind. You'll play mindless notes with little emotion other than showing off lol
I like how yngwie used to use a floor moog to step on different keys to solo on...I wish I could afford something like that lolk