I need to perform a song from a musical for my music class, but am stuck as I don't really know any musicals with a guitar part. There are a number of musicals I've quite enjoyed, but they're not my favourite area so I don't know that many really.

Another possibility would be to convert a strong melody on another instrument to the guitar part and play it like that, but if anyone knows a really great song from a musical with a good guitar part that would be awesome. Thanks.

EDIT: Also, music with a very theatrical quality to it, such as something from a video game could work. One group in the class isw doing a song from Final Fantasy for example.
  • Fender American Standard Stratocaster
  • Ibanez RGD2127z
  • Yamaha Acoustic
  • Cort Bass

• Laney LC30
Last edited by kLinic at Aug 22, 2010,
Time Warp - Rocky Horror Show

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Make an instrumental version of Anthem from Chess.

Doesn't get more epic than that.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Well you could cheat and do something from American Idiot, but that musical sucks
I think some songs from Spring Awakening have guitar, as well as Grease and Harispray, and most of the songs even if there isn't guitar you could easily convert the melody to guitar. I'll leave you to decide which song you want to do.

EDIT:
Quote by Demon Wolf

This. Definitely this.
Quote by Nietsche
Don't drive. Stay in doors in a padded sterilised germ free room with a strait jacket eating vitamin pills at the appropriate intervals

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ipayformusic

Quote by cptcomet
Weird Kid: Do you play by ear?

Me: No, I play by hand.
Does Ayreon count?

If so, I'd recommend the Into the Electric Castle, The Human Equation and 01011001 albums. Bloody awesome stuff

Recommended tracks from each album:

Isis and Osiris
(its split into 2 parts here)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2AgntWBmLY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iSzzOebppY&NR=1

Day Five: Voices
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHJHGdnw9z4

Age of Shadows
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIqRsl8Vm-Q
Last edited by mishax92 at Aug 22, 2010,
Quote by Tom 1.0
Time Warp - Rocky Horror Show

Love to, but that's really mostly piano and vocals as far as I can remember. One of favourite musicals though, it was hilariously insane.

Quote by Demon Wolf

I don't personally know the song, but I'll check it out and see what I can do.

Quote by ironmaiden_98
I think some songs from Spring Awakening have guitar, as well as Grease and Harispray, and most of the songs even if there isn't guitar you could easily convert the melody to guitar. I'll leave you to decide which song you want to do.

That could work I'll look at that too. Grease has some really upbeat songs that could be pretty fun. Hairsprays weren't that appealing from memory. But I'll explore every possibility, thanks.

Quote by mishax92
Does Ayreon count?

If so, I'd recommend the Into the Electric Castle, The Human Equation and 01011001 albums. Bloody awesome stuff

I have NO idea if that counts. =D Never heard it. I'll YouTube all the stuff I don't know about as soon as I get the chance.

Quote by Lt. Shinysides
We Will Rock You. It's a musical based on Queen's music. the whole thing is guitar.

Love to, I ADORE Queen. But their guitar tends to be pretty much just in the background apart from the solos. Generally it's Piano and Voice based. Unless you have any suggestions from the musical itself that have mostly guitar. From what currently comes to mind from Queen, while having awesome guitar parts, it is still mostly voice piano.
  • Ibanez RGD2127z
  • Yamaha Acoustic
  • Cort Bass

• Laney LC30
Last edited by kLinic at Aug 22, 2010,
Ayreon is basically a guy who gets bunches of famous musicians together to make Rock Opera musical albums. All of which are incredible. It sounds to me like it should fit the brief perfectly
Quote by mishax92
Ayreon is basically a guy who gets bunches of famous musicians together to make Rock Opera musical albums. All of which are incredible. It sounds to me like it should fit the brief perfectly

Sounds really cool, I'll check it out. Thanks.
  • Ibanez RGD2127z
  • Yamaha Acoustic
  • Cort Bass

• Laney LC30
Quote by kLinic

Love to, I ADORE Queen. But their guitar tends to be pretty much just in the background apart from the solos. Generally it's Piano and Voice based. Unless you have any suggestions from the musical itself that have mostly guitar. From what currently comes to mind from Queen, while having awesome guitar parts, it is still mostly voice piano.

Headlong, Innuendo, Fat Bottomed Girls.

There wont be any purely instrumental songs in a musical, but those are VERY guitar based.
Here is Kerry Ellis and Brian May performing Anthem live only yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQI4nKKVnMs&feature=player_embedded

That crescendo is just...

EDIT: And Queen has LOADS of stuff that is guitar-based.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Last edited by Demon Wolf at Aug 22, 2010,
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
Headlong, Innuendo, Fat Bottomed Girls.

There wont be any purely instrumental songs in a musical, but those are VERY guitar based.

Fat Bottomed Girls was probably the song I heard the most of throughout every car trip of my childhood. :p One of my favourite songs. I guess thinking back it does have a lot of guitar. I've just been playing so much Instrumental stuff lately that stuff like that doesn't immediatly jump out at me anymore. Probably not a good thing. But thanks for the awesome suggestions.

Quote by Demon Wolf
Here is Kerry Ellis and Brian May performing Anthem live only yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQI4nKKVnMs&feature=player_embedded

That crescendo is just...

EDIT: And Queen has LOADS of stuff that is guitar-based.

Awesome stuff. Thanks for the awesome ideas.

I started out with pretty much nothing and now it's difficult to choose. :p
  • Ibanez RGD2127z
  • Yamaha Acoustic
  • Cort Bass

• Laney LC30
Seussical The Musical has a lot of strong melodies, and I believe it features a decent amount of guitar playing, except it was probably the shittiest anything I have ever seen take place on stage. It was a disgrace to one of the greatest authors of our time.
Star Wars?
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
What about Hedwig and the Angry Inch? Its about a punk band... you should look it up. It's a film, btw.
MATTERHORN