I have recently acquired an epiphone 1967 reissue flying V (there wasnt a NGD thread and there probably isnt going to be) and although the pick-ups that are in it at the moment sound nice i am looking to swap them out.

now i only have experience swapping the pups out of an LTD explorer so im wondering if the hollow under the scratch plate effects the sound of the pups much???

EG: all pups (in general) sound brighter/muddier when fitted into V's as apposed to other guitars with more wood housing the pups.

i would like to know because it determines whether i go for some active EMG's again or go down the un-known road of seymour duncans.

did any of that make sense to anybody that took the time to read the whole thing????
am I posting in the right part of the forum?
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band
well the way i see it is, you already have a couple guitars with EMG's, which means your set for metal, why don't you put pickups in that contribute to another genre of music? I guess it really depends on your music tastes but i just bought the LTD EC-1000 with emg's and figured since i have a metal guitar I want a good rock n roll guitar so i'm putting bareknuckle nail bombs in my epi sg. I say you try out other pups
Yeah, why not instal some kick-ass passives instead of having another guitar with EMGs?

For the record my Gibby V has a Seymour Duncan Phat Cat single coil in the neck position, it sounds like a hotted strat. Mix that with the Gibson 500T in the bridge (or a similar pickup from SD or Dimarzio) and you have a very versatile combination with tonal variations you could only dream of getting from EMGs.
I wouldn't drop EMG's in your Flying V, it would be really pointless to have yet another guitar in your arsenal with the same generic pickups. I would set that guitar up to play rock/clean tones and would suggest a set of Lace Alumitones or a Bill Lawrence L500 in the bridge with a SD Pearly Gates in the neck. Or just a pair of Pearly Gates

EDIT: My 2003 Gibson has a SD '59 in the neck with the stock 500T in the bridge, that 500T is one gnarly beast but it's perfect for rock
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Aug 22, 2010,
thanks for the advice, i think ill go with your opinions and set it up for rock n roll/clean tones ill do some research and get back to this thread at a later date =)
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band