alright i need a good interface to get whenever i order the pa package i want so i can record on my macbook. i was planning on just using garageband but need a usb interface because there is no line in on my laptop. really dont want to spend too much on the interface but i do want a decent enough setup to record a good demo and start getting my music out there a little bit.

thanks for any help

p.s. i plan on recording vocals and 1-3 guitars for now
dave matthews might.. just.. be.. god..

Quote by gregs1020
yes, pointing it at your head will send the sound towards your head.

it's the same with guns too, before you go testing that one.
Digidesign M-Box 2 is great. I have the M-Box 2 Mini, and it can record 2 guitar inputs and 1 mic. However, the mic input is the same input as one of the guitars, so you can only do one guitar along with vocals (simultaneously). The regular M-Box holds more inputs, but I'm not sure about specifics.

EDIT: Oh and major bonus: If you buy it from guitar center, it comes with ProTools 8 LE!! Well, mine did, at least.
Quote by sadSTATUE
Uhmmm... Well, apparently I was mentioned in a thread called "Japan and Lesbians."

Quote by Unknown_Biskit
Try typing "potatoes" with your dick then submit it.

My cover of Manchester Orchestra's "I Can Feel Your Pain"
http://www.mediafire.com/?jfvt54j4mkiiq99
Last edited by gatechballer at Aug 22, 2010,
If you want to record many things at once, you're going to need a firewire interface. USB has alot of latency problems when recording more than four things simultaneously.

Then again, you can track the guitars separately and then record vocals, so you don't necessarily need it to be simultaneous.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I use a Presonus Inspire 1394. 2 1/4 inch, 2 XLR (can't be used at the same time), RCA in and out, headphone out. Firewire. Sounds great if you can find it, which may be difficult.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
thanks for the advice.. another question.. can i go into the mixer and mix it down to one track and do a live recording only using one input on an interface?

Quote by gregs1020

Motu microbook has the best sound quality of every thing mentioned so far. In fact the 8 pre I got to use last session was fantastic and my pal uses the ultralite so he can upload his songs within an hour after he's written them on ( he plays gtr drums bass )
Quote by uncboy19
thanks for the advice.. another question.. can i go into the mixer and mix it down to one track and do a live recording only using one input on an interface?

hesitantly i say yes, but you may not want to, atleast not unless you're very comfy mixing on your board without needing the capability of going back to edit individual tracks.

Raj is on point concerning firewire, btw.

Apogee makes great stuff for recording with mac. the Duet is great, but just 1 or 2 imputs i think, and the ensemble is amazing. question, will you be using GB or are you upgrading to Logic?

and by PA do you mean monitors? or are you planning on recording in a live environment? oh, i see now, you said it's for live recordings.

forgive me if I missed something else, I'm a little drunk.
Quote by Raijouta
If you want to record many things at once, you're going to need a firewire interface. USB has alot of latency problems when recording more than four things simultaneously.

Then again, you can track the guitars separately and then record vocals, so you don't necessarily need it to be simultaneous.

or for that matter more than one... USB+recording=teh sux, in my experience.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
or for that matter more than one... USB+recording=teh sux, in my experience.

why so?
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Quote by adj209
why so?

Very high latency, which makes it really hard to double track or harmonize anything.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
For a mac apogee one/duet and logic 9 is about the best anyone can do really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WLhv0rId5k
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

Quote by oneblackened
Very high latency, which makes it really hard to double track or harmonize anything.
It's easy to just realign the tracks in a DAW.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Kanthras

+1

Firewire is just easier...but USB isn't useless. And its a lot cheaper. Drums can be tricky without multiple inputs and a firewire interface though. Thats my main reason for my upcoming upgrade
Quote by Kanthras

Except when it's about 2 ms off. It's just a pain to deal with.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
Except when it's about 2 ms off. It's just a pain to deal with.
Ehh, zoom in on the wave forms. It's better to have less latency of course, but it's hardly the deal breaker you make it out to be.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
^yeah, I am making it out to be worse than it is. Not intentionally, I assure you

The sound quality is fine using USB. It's just double tracking is a bit of a pain simply because of the latency issues.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Last edited by oneblackened at Aug 23, 2010,
thanks for the advice. im looking at a relatively cheap PA setup on the friend with a mixer, monitor/speakers, and a cheap mic and cables and everything. its about 300 bucks or so. i want to be able to record my guitar and vocals at the same time most importantly and be able to add multiple guitars/bass/keyboard and maybe drums later. whats my best option for less than 150 bucks or so?

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by gatechballer
Digidesign M-Box 2 is great. I have the M-Box 2 Mini, and it can record 2 guitar inputs and 1 mic. However, the mic input is the same input as one of the guitars, so you can only do one guitar along with vocals (simultaneously). The regular M-Box holds more inputs, but I'm not sure about specifics.

EDIT: Oh and major bonus: If you buy it from guitar center, it comes with ProTools 8 LE!! Well, mine did, at least.

While I agree with you there, I have to also say ProTools is a very complicated program. Not so much as a plug and play thing.
Rigz.
SX Furrian
Eastwood Mandocaster
Bugera v55
DigiTech DL8
Boss BD-2
Dean Markley Tuner
Ebow

Gear Hitlist:
2x12 Cab
the m-box is out of my price range.. anyone know anything that can simply and efficiently get audio from a mixer into my laptop for garageband? for less than 150 bucks?

Quote by gregs1020