Hi I am a teenager and I have enough money to buy a good guitar ($700) but my dad won't let me because he says I should be happy with what I have. Not only can I not buy a new guitar, but I cannot buy amps or pedals either! It's not like I should waste 700 on videogames or something. How do I convince him to let me buy a guitar with money I worked for?
Well do you have a steady source of income or is it money that took long time to save up?

If you have a steady job then you just need to talk to them...a lot...

if it's just money sitting, it's best not to spend it all at once, and I can totally understand the reasoning behind him.

EDIT: I was looking forward to buying a new amp soon, but now I'm stuck with my Pod Farm. My parents are not guitarists, so they simply look and say "What's wrong with the one you have now? It sounds fine."

You may just have to suck it up. What's your current gear?
Last edited by siverstorm at Aug 22, 2010,
Tell them that you would like to pursue music as a career and quality gear is an investment towards your future. Sounds over zealous, but it's true assuming you would like to continue with music.
whats the issue here? why doesnt he want you to spend the money if its just sitting there?

you could just go buy it and throw away the receipt so he cant take it back.

i dont understand why he wouldnt want you to spend YOUR money.
How did you get $700? Why don't your parents want you to spend it? What other use does money have other than to be spent for pleasure?

Quote by kingofstrings24
It's not like I should waste 700 on videogames or something.

For this, I like you. A lot. I wish you luck, TS.

Quote by rickyj

you could just go buy it and throw away the receipt so he cant take it back.

Not a good idea. At all. I don't know anything about TS's parents, but I've had a lot of experience with crazy and irrational and unbalanced parents, and with those kinds, your shit will be broken or taken if you do that.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Aug 22, 2010,
Quote by kingofstrings24
Hi I am a teenager and I have enough money to buy a good guitar ($700) but my dad won't let me because he says I should be happy with what I have. Not only can I not buy a new guitar, but I cannot buy amps or pedals either! It's not like I should waste 700 on videogames or something. How do I convince him to let me buy a guitar with money I worked for?

A teenager with a good sense of what to spend money on.. This is priceless
All my friends and practically everyone I know spends every cent on video games.. I can't find the point, or a valid enough of a reason for spending HUNDREDS on systems and then paying out the ass for a new game..
That money could be better spend on something productive like a musical instrument
Quote by Offworld92
For this, I like you. A lot. I wish you luck, TS.

Me too
Last edited by TheAbsentOne at Aug 22, 2010,
Just explain to him, that in order to further your Musical potential, you need to upgrade from the Wal-Mart Guitar, because in fact, not all guitars sound the same.

(Idk what guitar you have, just sayin', not attempted flaming)
((just dont get a schecter hellraiser, those are not "teh br00t3z))
How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?

Twelve. One to change the bulb and eleven to say they could do it better.

Exactly,
The two guitars I have right now are a Godin freeway Classic and a Schecter Damien solo elite. I mainly want a guitar with a tremolo because I play death metal and I can never play any solos that Trey from Morbid Angel would play or Cannibal Corpse.
Quote by TheAbsentOne
A teenager with a good sense of what to spend money on.. This is priceless
All my friends and practically everyone I know spends every cent on video games.. I can't find the point, or a valid enough of a reason for spending HUNDREDS on systems and then paying out the ass for a new game..
That money could be better spend on something productive like a musical instrument

Me too

Maybe your friends have different interests and hobbies compared to yourself. Revolutionary thought, I know.
What's your current amp? I understand you want to open up new possibilities by adding a guitar with a tremolo, but it's always an awesome idea to upgrade your amp to get an even better tone (Unless you're 100% happy with it currently) or even pedals to add more beef to your sound, or just stuff that's fun to have (Like Delay, I love it..).
But nontheless if you want a guitar with a tremolo, by all means, GET ONE if you can. You'll only be happy with a purchase if it is absolutely what YOU want.

EDIT: ^
I didn't insult anyone with what I said, I said I don't see (nor can I find) a reason good enough FOR ME to justify it.
But yet you believe I am close-minded.
Last edited by TheAbsentOne at Aug 22, 2010,
"It's not like I should waste 700 on videogames or something" exactly this was my mind set when i got rid of my ps3. everyone hates me for it cuz they wanted to play rock band but i said screw em cuz im in a real band now bitches!
Last edited by aubreywoods at Aug 22, 2010,
Quote by Offworld92

Not a good idea. At all. I don't know anything about TS's parents, but I've had a lot of experience with crazy and irrational and unbalanced parents, and with those kinds, your shit will be broken or taken if you do that.

why would they break it? they would take it away and then what? that would just be a waste of $700, i know they arent jsut going to break something that their son just bought for $700. keep it for a while, maybe, but he would still get the guitar eventually.
IF you are a teenager I do NOT think you should have a $700 guitar, especially if it costs every cent you own. Guitars are soo good and cheap now a days you could get a great guitar for 400 or 500 and still save a couple hundred. You may end up being the next great guitarist for a headlining band.... or you could get a gf next month and spend all your time with her and give up guitar all together. Or take an interest in some kind of sport and not have the time. You already have 2 guitars... why a 3rd? Sell one or both of your old ones if you want money for a new one. I am not trying to be a jerk, it just sounds like you have money burning a hole in your pocket so you want to blow it on something. And most likely it was money you were given to you so you don't appriciate it. Take it however you want, Thats just my take.

And it is not like just because it is a guitar and not video games its a great idea, How many kids waste thousands upon thousands on gear and never do anything with it so it sits there and collects dust??? Thats no better then wasting thousands on video games. Both are just hobbies unless you have a serious plan AND COMMITMENT to take it to the next level.

As a teenager you have a lot of big events and life time memories to come in the near future, I agree with your parents that spending every dime you own on a guitar isn't the best idea
Last edited by jsspang at Aug 22, 2010,
TS If you earned the money (& it's not ear-marked for something else) and can demonstrate to your parents through playing your current guitar that you have some talent to warrant a better one, & it gives you pleasure, they should let you step up to a new guitar. Even as a hobby guitar playing can be very rewarding and provide a release for pressures and stress in today's world.
Moving on.....
Quote by rickyj
why would they break it? they would take it away and then what? that would just be a waste of $700, i know they arent jsut going to break something that their son just bought for $700. keep it for a while, maybe, but he would still get the guitar eventually.

That's all well and good, with rational parents.

This may or may not relate to the TS, as I don't know anything about his parents, and he hasn't said anything about them, so let that be known.

But you have to understand, that there really are genuinely bad parents out there. Parents who are imbalanced. The fact that it cost a lot or that it was bought with the kid's own money aren't even factors in the equation. They just do it, because everything they do is based on spurts of emotion.

I know this is true from secondhand experience. My girlfriend of two years has parents like this. (Thank god she's 18 now though, moved out a few months ago.)
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I just kind of showed up after school with an amp and guitar from the pawn shop when I was 16. They didn't have a say in the matter.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by kingofstrings24
Exactly,
The two guitars I have right now are a Godin freeway Classic and a Schecter Damien solo elite. I mainly want a guitar with a tremolo because I play death metal and I can never play any solos that Trey from Morbid Angel would play or Cannibal Corpse.

Those guitars are pretty decent, and a tremelo won't change your tone as much as a new amp will. I can't see what sort of amp you have, but if it's a little practice one, consider upgrading to a giggable amp.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by kingofstrings24
Exactly,

your parents don`t want you buying another guitar because you have 2 highend guitars there and can`t justify you buying a 3rd, maybe if you sold one of your existing guitars, then maybe they could justify a new guitar, they could also be teaching you a lesson in economics for when you leave home for college........there`s a reason that they don`t want you to spend that money go and ask them why.......just don`t mention guitars......word your question to them carefully.
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Aug 23, 2010,
I can't see what sort of amp you have, but if it's a little practice one, consider upgrading to a giggable amp.

That’s terrible advice! The guy wants to play songs that require a tremolo, not play club shows. If he needs a guitar with a tremolo to play his music then a new amp is a waste.

Anyway KingofStrings, compromise with your dad—sell or trade one of the guitars you have now to upgrade to a good guitar with a Floyd Rose. But before you do, find someone who has one that you can play with so you can realize just how annoying they can be when they don’t work right, which in the case of many trems is about three seconds after you let go of the bar.
Quote by rickyj

sadly not all parents have sense or a well-functioning mind.

but ts, if i were you i would just deal with not having a tremolo for a while, or talk to my parents and see if i could persuade them with the reason being that it's my money, i worked for it, etc.
My parents were the same...Now they have come around because I play live for them haha and they enjoy it, but I had an EPI Les Paul Special II but wanted to buy a new strat.

They don't really pay attention to my guitars so I just went and bought my new Strat in black, the same color as my Les Paul.
They had no idea.
Quote by MacFamousKid
Tell them that you would like to pursue music as a career and quality gear is an investment towards your future. Sounds over zealous, but it's true assuming you would like to continue with music.

Yeah don't do this. For most parents, the LAST thing they want to hear from their kid is "I want to be a musician when I grow up".
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Hold your Breath until you get your way.

As irrational as it may seem, take it from their point of view .

All they see is you already have 2 guitar's . They don't understand your need for an instrument that will allow you to perform the music you want to play. Try to explain it to them in a calm and adult manner. Tell them for you to enjoy your musical hobby and take it to the next level, you need to get a better instrument that will perform better.They may be impressed with your attitude and cave in.

Maybe even play a few John Denver song's to show them how you've progressed. Most parent's don't understand Death Metal and would try to stear you away from it's Foul and Damning influence.

Maybe you can trade one of your Axes for the New one and still have some of your cash stashed for "the Future"
dngrsdave

Heavy Metal Thunder
Lol, what a contrast. I'm 16 and my parents keep telling me I should buy more guitars.

TS, think of it this way- $700 will buy you a sick guitar but not the best one. Keep saving and let yourself progress as a player, by the time you can afford a big-league guitar, you'll probably have earned it in the eyes of your parents. Or if by that time you're ready to move out, then the problem is solved automatically.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden