Ok, so i have a budget of 80 at the moment, and the main thing I'm looking at are the ROS and the Rasps, just want to know what is a nice affordable ROS that won't fall apart with uses that will be heavy duty such as eating away a decent amount of wood?

I've looked on lowes and found a DEWALT 3-Amp 5" Heavy Duty ROS for 59.97 on lowes, but wondering if there are any quality cheaper alternatives that will hold together? I've also seen a 35 dollar skil ROS but it's reviews say the plate that holds the sandpaper falls off super easy, just wondering if there is a decent reliable middle ground on the Random Orbital Sander.

Also, what kind of handheld rasps would work well and what brand and where should i buy them as well as a price estimate?

Guitarist for 11+ years
Bassist for 6+ years
Drummer for 5+ months

PSN account - DeadAimHeadshot
cool deal, i think theres a harbor freight store just in the next city over from me so i'll have to check it out.

their website only lists on ROS though and it looks like it doesnt even have a brand name, so if anyone else can give brand and pricing suggestions please do, same for the rasps as i don't know what size or anything of the rasp i should use, also if a filing kit could be suggested along with the rasps

Guitarist for 11+ years
Bassist for 6+ years
Drummer for 5+ months

i use a ton of tools from there, including there orbital sander, and rasp.
There's more to tools then just a brand name man.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
yeah i plan on getting the sander can't beat that price, I'm loading up my wishlist and gonna try to go to the store nearby tomorrow

oh also, what would be the heavy duty version of a dremel type rotary tool? could you just get accessories for a drill or is there a specific tool?

Guitarist for 11+ years
Bassist for 6+ years
Drummer for 5+ months

Depends, what are you using it for? A heavy duty dremel would = a router.
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
well I'm basically mainly using the sanding rotary bits, sculpting the body pretty much

Guitarist for 11+ years
Bassist for 6+ years
Drummer for 5+ months

want something heavy duty but can still get in tight places like around the horns, other than that i think the ROS will be great for most the body work i have in mind.

edit: still browsing the harbor freight site and maybe the tool I'm looking for wouldn't necessarily be rotary, looks like theres some small hand held belt sanders that could do the job

Guitarist for 11+ years
Bassist for 6+ years
Drummer for 5+ months

Last edited by Diminishedfaith at Aug 22, 2010,
For sanding contours and such, i use a rasp/file/angle grinder, plus a orbital sander. I also use a sanding drum attached to a hand held drill.
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
If there's a Menards close those are good for cheap tools, I have plenty of hours on my sander and it works like a champ. I was at Rockler the other day, who really shells out for their top brand shit? I think even the sanders were like $200, who really pays for those?
Chain:
Fingers -> Schecter Damien FR -> Fulltone OCD -> ABY Box -> Bugera V22 / Peavey 6505+
yeah, no menards in my area, looked online and the only orbit sander they have is about 30 bucks more expensive than harbor freights and looks like the same quality so i think i'll go with HF,

but yeah, if i can get the sander for 20 bucks and even if it breaks after a few months of constant use, its worth it to get another cause of the price, and who knows, it may last for a long time!

Guitarist for 11+ years
Bassist for 6+ years
Drummer for 5+ months

I buy tools from harbor freight all the time. Most of the stuff is not top quality, but if you're not a tradesman using the tools on a daily basis then they'll do just fine. Cant' beat the price for sure. You can find coupons here (including 20% off single item):

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1276399
[thread="1285220"]First Build - Zebrawood Tele[/thread]
[thread="1288529"]Second Build[/thread]
[thread="1334385"]Curbside Build[/thread]
Do the coupons work in store as well or just online?

I went there today and spent 50 bucks and just wanted to buy everything lol.

I got a random orbital sander, 3 3" C clamps, a set of files, a small rasp(wish I got a bigger one now), 2 sets of sandpaper for the ROS, a hand sanding block, 500 grit wet or dry sandpaper, and 250 grit sandpaper.

Next time I'm gonna get a rotary tool and the 250pc accessory kit for 40 bucks.

Guitarist for 11+ years
Bassist for 6+ years
Drummer for 5+ months