I have an Ibanez gio with 2 humbuckers, its my first electric guitar and it was a good starter guitar but it doesn't suit what I play at all so I was wondering what I would have to do to: Take out the pickups and put a single coil in the bridge, cut a middle position into the guitar (my dad has a woodshop so i can make it happen capn) and put a single coil into the middle position, and put a more vintage sounding humbucker in the bridge position, get rid of the polyurethane paint job or w/e and paint it with a cooler color other than black?
yeah that should work. and u would have to get new wires and pots. and a 5 way switch probably
What's your current amp? For the most part, (Now I am assuming, please correct me if I'm wrong, I only judge based on your guitar right now as no other information was given) you probably don't have a quality amp.. And a pickup change won't change your tone at all. If you want to improve your tone, you're going to have to look at the basics first, that being your amp.
I'm all for you painting it and whatnot though, it would give you a good place to start with modifying equipment (I've never done so myself and don't really ever plan to). Also even if you don't have a quality amp, you can STILL cut that middle position into the guitar so you can have a middle pickup, that would be fun and pretty neat.

Now here's the closer, is any of this going to cost you money? If so, it's honestly not worth it whatsoever because the guitar itself is made of such low quality wood and whatnot, to make the thing even passable you'd have to replace the bridge, the tuners, the nut, most likely would need better frets, etc..

I'm not bashing you, I promise I started out with an Ibanez GIO (And I still own one that was my brothers.. The GRG from the Metal Jumpstart pack and I must say my god that thing is terrible in all aspects to be honest)
well if youve got a massive hole from the neck humbucker in the way i think the best way to get the HSS setup is to route out some room for the middle pickup and then get a scratch plate with the HSS setup to cover up the missing wood.

thats what i would do.
Quote by rickyj
well if youve got a massive hole from the neck humbucker in the way i think the best way to get the HSS setup is to route out some room for the middle pickup and then get a scratch plate with the HSS setup to cover up the missing wood.

thats what i would do.

I agree. Trying to fill the area would take away from the character of it. And a guard does add protection. You can buy a blank sheet and cut it to your specs
CAPITALISM
Quote by diofan88
Naked with a bowl of cereal with headphones.
Quote by TheAbsentOne
What's your current amp? For the most part, (Now I am assuming, please correct me if I'm wrong, I only judge based on your guitar right now as no other information was given) you probably don't have a quality amp.. And a pickup change won't change your tone at all. If you want to improve your tone, you're going to have to look at the basics first, that being your amp.
I'm all for you painting it and whatnot though, it would give you a good place to start with modifying equipment (I've never done so myself and don't really ever plan to). Also even if you don't have a quality amp, you can STILL cut that middle position into the guitar so you can have a middle pickup, that would be fun and pretty neat.

Now here's the closer, is any of this going to cost you money? If so, it's honestly not worth it whatsoever because the guitar itself is made of such low quality wood and whatnot, to make the thing even passable you'd have to replace the bridge, the tuners, the nut, most likely would need better frets, etc..

I'm not bashing you, I promise I started out with an Ibanez GIO (And I still own one that was my brothers.. The GRG from the Metal Jumpstart pack and I must say my god that thing is terrible in all aspects to be honest)
I think we must have different guitars because mine is actually a very good guitar for how cheap it was. It stays in tune for ages and plays very easily and there is literally nothing bad about it that I can think of. I have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and I play mostly blues and classic rock. I am planning on putting a pickguard over it to cover the ugly holes. EDIT: and this isnt my only guitar thats why im taking a risk of messing it up
Last edited by bobbymcgee69 at Aug 23, 2010,
If you click the GB&C link in my thread there is,
Invader Jim's spraypainting tutorial
A pickup routing tutorial

You can go to the ultimate pickup thread to see which pickups you decide to buy.

Ultimate wiring thread to learn how to install them/get a diagram.

projectguitar.com has tutorials about removing paint, painting, and others i can't remember.

GOOD LUCK