Lately it seems like for me to get anything done I have to have a set routine planned out to work on daily or a few times a week, has worked great for me in areas of schoolwork (Junior with AP summer work from hell), same for training for sports. I can only assume this carries over to guitar playing. I guess you would label me as a novice player, since I've been self-taught (or at least tried to over the course of a few years) and completley clueless for a majority of the time.

Once school starts I'll have about an hour to spare for guitar practice per day, so if you guys could tell me what I should include in my daily practice regimen, fire away.

Also, I have John Petrucci's Book; Rock Discipline for work on my technique.

Thanks in advance
Thanks! That lick of the day thing is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Would anyone happen to know a database with all the scales I might need to know in it? I suck when it comes to those
Just start with the major, minor and penatonic scales and grow from there.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by dookiedude8
Thanks! That lick of the day thing is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Would anyone happen to know a database with all the scales I might need to know in it? I suck when it comes to those

Here...

Scale Diagrams

I do agree with alan though...... start with more commonly used scales...

Major
minor

+ pentatonics & blues scales

spend some quality time making music with those scales before moving on.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Aug 22, 2010,
If you already have the basics, getting information and teaching yourself wouldn’t be that hard, I must say. In fact, I suggesting you to get some books that is related to what they will teach you if you enrolled in a musical institution or something similar to that. As a matter of fact, getting books will be sufficient as you can track your progress through the process of getting more advanced in the book.