So I modded this squire p bass I got from somebody who owed me money(don`t worry I have questions at the bottom). I reshaped it, stripped the finish and had someone locally put the new finish on. I also got an emg select P-pickup from a friend.
Pics(done on the floor because my walls are red, camera was not happy):

Attempt to show the green in the finish, which is much more pronounced in person:

Artsy shot:

Cost(just in case anyone is interested )
Body/neck/some hardware - $40 (debt)
Paint - $50
Pickup - $10 (friend)
Rest of hardware - $0 (had)
Total - $100

So:
1 - I want to know if anyone has any ideas for interesting wiring stuff for a one pickup bass.(for technique I`ll go to the appropriate thread)
2 - The milkyness in the below picture was recommended by the guy who did the paint to be buffed out(he has not seen it, only described over the phone). It is only in the clear, and the clear is automotive grade. Does that sound right?

I don`t know how well you can tell, but the circle and arrow might help

Thanks,
Jake
Luna Phoenix, Kustom II bass amp, generic 15" PA speaker
"Magic Man", unknown old bass, mid 70`s Jap import

It`s my guitar, and if you don`t like it, well I don`t care if you like it now do I?
Last edited by Valkyrie_Design at Aug 22, 2010,
same guitar strap as me
GEAR:
Fender Classic Player Jaguar Special HH
Ibanez RGA-32
Peavey Vypyr 15
Line 6 Pod Studio GX + Pod Farm
Man that thing looks sweet. Did it used to be a 5 string?
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
I got the strap for free,I actually got two for free.....

@Koshman - No, why???

Jake

PS - Anyone have any idea on the clear coat issue? It`s more urgent to me than the wiring.

It`s my guitar, and if you don`t like it, well I don`t care if you like it now do I?
Last edited by Valkyrie_Design at Aug 22, 2010,
The finish looks so cool in the first shot but then you can see it's poorly done. I just don't like it because of that.
Quote by Sinister Waffle
Who pirates Winrar? that has to be the most passive aggressive program I've ever seen.

"hey you should really buy me, the 40 days is up"
* hits X button*
" Oh okay, maybe next time?"

You sir have just won a thousand internets.
The bass is not done yet, I was posting to ask about the milky area, but you know everyone would have wanted more pics anyway.

Besides, its a backup bass, and most people aren`t going to see it up close.

Quote by paquiquinho
The finish looks so cool in the first shot but then you can see it's poorly done. I just don't like it because of that.

+1

I think you should be more concerned about those runs between the bridge & pickup than the "milkyness" ... because other than that it looks nice.
Quote by Steve46
thanks alot ice condition!! your the breast!

The best bosom in all of UG.
I know when i clear coated one of my guitars at the beach the humidity make the clear coat milky for a few weeks but went away, it was an automotive clear coat too.

I'd recomend sanding down the clear coat, and getting the gloss clear coat you brush on that usually goes over stain and slap it on there, it looks beautiful and is fairly cheap i believe and it doesnt take much (you can get a can thats like the size of a cup or less and it will last you like 5 guitars id estimate)

ps: i see waht you mean by cutting the slot, you should've said cut off the section lol, i was picturing a vertical cut rather than horizontal, dunno why, lol

Guitarist for 11+ years
Bassist for 6+ years
Drummer for 5+ months

PSN account - DeadAimHeadshot
Last edited by Diminishedfaith at Aug 23, 2010,
Don`t be fooled by the pics, it in no way has a smooth feel. This doesn`t bother me a bit. Without the glare that the camera picks up, you barely notice those against the finish. I am going to attempt to smooth it out some, but I wanted a second opinion on the buffing thing.

Now that the finish has been criticized, anything interesting in the way of wiring options? I am leaning towards a killswitch, but then what? Doesn`t seem to be much out there for one pickup guitars/basses. Oh, and any wiring mods must be passive. That is half of the point with this bass.

@Diminishedfaith - So do you think that will go away? I`d really like to not put much effort into this bass. I will keep the clear you mentioned in mind for when I paint the next guitar I`m working on.

Last edited by Valkyrie_Design at Aug 23, 2010,
I like what you did to the headstock. For wiring, you can try doing something like the esquire tone control switch with all different capacitors and resistors to differently trim the frequencies.
Thanks. Any sort of a link, as I am unfamiliar with that sort of control?

Honestly, wait it out, if it doesnt go away after a month or so then youre not really set back too much, you can have it buffed or refinish it then.

btw, how long has this clear coat been on there?

in my expierience i would never use a clear coat that is meant for cars again, it did go away but took forever, and if i remember correctly sometimes a slight cloudiness would reappear but never as bad as the first month.

i think my problem was the paint job i did was overall crap as i did it back when i was a tween lol.

I plan on staying away from spray paint in general, i really want to get an airbrush to do my guitars from now on, and use that gloss stuff for clear coat, it shines great, but DO NOT follow the directions for sand paper, It scratched my stain up, it suggested 250 but i'm gonna re do it with something MUCH finer, like 400 or 600. honestly i may just try to get away without sanding in between coats at all if possible.

It shines like crazy but if you look close you can see the little grooves from that stupid sand paper suggestion

Guitarist for 11+ years
Bassist for 6+ years
Drummer for 5+ months

oh and a killswitch is a good idea, i have a single humbucker custom guitar with a 3 way switch and the middle position is the only one thats set as on, works great for a pulsating effect while hammering or tapping and sounds pretty wicked, never thought of putting one on a bass, may do that when my fretless mod is done

Guitarist for 11+ years
Bassist for 6+ years
Drummer for 5+ months

The clear coat has not been on there very long. I think the guy did the paint like a week/week and a half ago, so less than that.

I assume the three way is so that you can "strum" the switch to pulse it while still having it able to "click" into an off? How did you do the wiring exactly? On/off/on switch?

its been so long since i've messed with the wiring i honestly don't remember, but its more like off/on/off.

really only a 2 switch is needed, but this way i can pull it either way, and usually when killswitching i never let it click fully into either setting i hold it in the middle and let it slip back and forth into on and off.

works best with distortion to give you more sustain and easier hammers and taps, i'd assume especially on a bass.

but if you have low action you shouldnt worry too much.

as for the paint, yeah, let it sit for a while since its so fresh, make sure you keep it in controlled enviroment as it most likely happened cause he had it outside when spraying it and it was probably humid, or was kept in a humid shop or something while drying.

just wait it out and see where to go from there.

oh and i need to fix my switch too cause i put the pot in where it flicks up toward the neck and down toward the bottom of the guitar when in reality it would be more natural i think to have it angled switching up toward the pickups and down toward the jack plug

Guitarist for 11+ years
Bassist for 6+ years
Drummer for 5+ months

Last edited by Diminishedfaith at Aug 23, 2010,
Oh and out of curiosity do you know what method he used to get the paintjob to look like that? Asides from the clear coat eff up lol :p

Guitarist for 11+ years
Bassist for 6+ years
Drummer for 5+ months

I was referring to the type of switch as an on/off/on would technically, as a killswitch anyway, function as an off/on/off. It connects the poles on the "on"s, in this case sending signal to ground, killing the output. The "off" would be the signal without any other connections.

I`ll wait out the clear, hopefully it goes away. But in the meantime I`ll start on my wiring. I still need to look into that varitone thing. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

EDIT: The paint was a solution of Borax and something in the water, with oil based paints and a dipping method. I am sure I have seen this method over on PG in a tutorial somewhere.......

I have been up since the first post of this thread, and looking into wiring for about five hours

I want this bass to be a "look at all the crazy halfway useless wiring shit I can do" bass. So to that end:

I think this is everything I could find for a one pickup bass, with one volume & one tone. I will gather supplies tomorrow, and then the carnage may comence

So if you think I am a genius, crazy, or need to go to bed, you may be right. Though I am about to do the third one.

Jake

Is it a humbucking pickup with 2 wires, or single coil? If its humbucker, you could try converting it to 4-conductor, which would give you the following different options:
Coil cut
Wilkinson roll control (effectively coil cut, but done with a pot, so you have humbucker, coil cut and everything in between)
Out of phase
Parallel
Parallel and out of phase
And probably more. If its SC, then none of these can be done
You've cut a far chunk off that head, have you strung/tuned it up yet? Keep an eye on it, you don't want that thing to snap and whip across the side of your head.
I strung it up before paint, so it should be fine.

I do not want anything active on this bass, I have enough batteries to change already. My take on the ultimate wiring thread is that there are lots of multi-pickup and coil split/in-out of phase switching mods. I can`t do any of those, as far as I know it is a single coil. Besides, the pickup is potted from the back. With epoxy. Solid epoxy.

I already have a killswitch in my diagram.

Jake

What would that really benefit me? I already have a switch for different tone caps, and a switch to cut out the tone pot entirely. You have reached where I was last night - the "What now?" point.

I don`t expect to use the bass cut much, on a bass guitar.......my EQ normally looks like this -> \ OK, not quite, but it`s close.

I want it as an effect, sort of a massive cut all at once. I have no idea when or if I`d use it, but I never will if I don`t build one, now will I?

Jake

So you mean you want a like a switch for a bass cut? or a treble?
I guess that would mean keeping a pot on 0 inside your control cavity and then having a switch to bypass/use it?? You could always put a knob on it and have another pot showing but if it was to stay on 0 what's the point?
There should be another way to do it but i'm not sure.
Quote by salgala2000
So you mean you want a like a switch for a bass cut? or a treble?
I guess that would mean keeping a pot on 0 inside your control cavity and then having a switch to bypass/use it?? You could always put a knob on it and have another pot showing but if it was to stay on 0 what's the point?
There should be another way to do it but i'm not sure.

No, he has an extra capacitor inside that filters out high frequencies.
It would be cool if you could build like a mini distortion processor inside the guitar and put it on a switch. Wonder if I should buy a cheap distortion pedal and try to fit the components inside my bass. Or any effect for that matter.

Guitarist for 11+ years
Bassist for 6+ years
Drummer for 5+ months

The switch will function like a bass cut pot that is set to max cut, all the time. This is where I got the idea, values, etc.: http://www.metalguitarist.org/forum/guitar-tech-articles/773-tight-control-simple-passive-bass-cut.html
I just took it one step further and used a switch for an on-off operation, instead of a pot for a gradual change. What it actually is, is a cap that only lets the higher frequencies through. This is what a normal tone pot does, mine is just in the signal path versus between signal and ground. It therefore lets only the higher frequencies through, instead of bleeding them off.

As for onboard effects pedals:
1 - no room, I`ll be squeezing what I have into there.....
2 - it requires a battery, one of my no-nos of this bass

Plus I don`t actually have any of this yet, as a friend of mine STILL has my soldering iron. I do however have all the bits and pieces eagerly awaiting.

I may however use something like a black ice control down the road(brought up in the ultimate wiring thread). Or maybe a mid cut control. (also from the ultimate thread).

Thanks,
Jake

Haven't heard anything on this in a while, figured out your wiring? How has the paintjob come to look?

Guitarist for 11+ years
Bassist for 6+ years
Drummer for 5+ months

Sorry I`ve been really busy lately, getting ready for college and all.

Wiring is done. I only managed to physically fit four of the five switches, and that was an incredibly tight fit. I am used to modding strats with room for a small mini-fridge under the pickguard. Lesson learned, MEASURE. Anyway, I ended up leaving out the bass cut switch(may go on a push-pull pot later), and the rest work perfectly. I can now do those decaying echoes at the beginning of Rush - 2112(killswitch), WOOT.

As for the paint, it has mostly cleared up. Though the guy that did the paint said that if I`m still unhappy he will redo the clearcoat at no cost to me. We`ll see how it goes.

The actual tone of the bass is interesting, and not quite what you`d expect from a (former) P-bass. With the smaller body mass and the EMG select pickup it is alot less muddy at high volumes, with a brighter treble side and a clearer, but still boomy bass side. I love it. I did end up using the .1 cap value as my default, instead of the .047(stock) it was supposed to be switchable to/from. So I`ll probably get a larger value cap to replace the .047. Also, the resistors that are used to keep the killswitch from clicking also do a good job of keeping the tone cap selector from clicking.

I need to get pictures of it strung up and with the switches mounted, there are two between each knob and two between the tone knob and the jack. I also need to figure out how to get a sound clip of my semi-mediocre playing to demonstrate the tone through my old Kustom head. Oh, and to whoever was worried about the headstock, it hasn`t bent at all, and it`s been strung up for a couple of weeks.

Wow, long post....
Jake

Cool deal man. Makes me want to get my bass back together quick and see how it sounds as I've reahaped the body much more dramatically on my p bass. Got a new job so haven't had much time to mess with mine either. Also have been having trouble with getting the wood smooth enough to paint.

I guess you could have routed out a lol bit more under the pickguard to fit it all in there but I think what you have set up us great already. Can't wait to hear it.

Guitarist for 11+ years
Bassist for 6+ years
Drummer for 5+ months

I think the change in sound was more the pickup then anything, in theory removing wood = less sustain + some other stuff I can`t remember at the moment.

Well, actually I couldn`t have routed anymore out. Where I trimmed the pickguard around the cavity it was almost showing the cavity already, so no more routing space for me.

What have you tried so far to smooth yours out?

Well I sanded it up to 200 and the grain still shone through the spray paint pretty bad so I'm putting a thick layer of primer on it with alot of coats and then will try sanding it smooth again. Just gotta find time to sand it now as I've put plenty of primer on. I'm not too worried as the metallic paint I had was showing alot of flaws real bad but I've got black that I'm gonna attempt now so I think it will hide some flaws. It's my first mod so I know it's not gonna be perfect. I just can't wait to finally play it again lol.

Guitarist for 11+ years
Bassist for 6+ years
Drummer for 5+ months