I'm looking for something to record guitar with decent quality, after some internet reading, I know I need an audio interface, and the Line 6 Toneport's seem pretty common, but they are no longer made apparently. So can anyone recommend a good alternative? Preferably under $100 CDN, but I could go more than that if I had to I guess. Also, how do I set up the damn thing?

Thanks in advance
check out the low end tascam usb interfaces, they are pretty good quality and pretty cheap.
ive heard theres a Line 6 Pocket-POD Direct Recording Interface around.
price should be under 150, its a REALLY great one from the reviews ive read.

theres also this
Line 6 POD Studio GX Recording Interface
pretty decent ratings as well.
Gear

Ibanez RG350DX Electric Guitar With DiMarzio Tone Zone
Academy Electric Guitar
BeaverCreek Acoustic Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey Sanpera Footswitch I
I recently purchased a http://www.amazon.com/Line-6-POD-Studio-GX/dp/B001EHWD0I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1282554765&sr=8-1 and I couldn't be happier! It comes with a ton of great stock tones and you can purchase additional amps, pedals, etc. There's also a huge user database of custom tones that you can download and use instantly. I'd definitely recommend this or the UX model if you'd like to record vocals at some point (it also comes with stock vocal tones). The song in my profile was recorded with my GX.

As for how to use it: plug it in, install the software, register your hardware with line6 and you're good to go. You run POD Farm where you can pick your tone, tweak your amps, effects, etc, then you just arm it as your input in whatever DAW you use. Have fun with whatever you choose! You'll love the quality upgrade.
Quote by bluntzilla2010
I'm looking for something to record guitar with decent quality, after some internet reading, I know I need an audio interface, and the Line 6 Toneport's seem pretty common, but they are no longer made apparently. So can anyone recommend a good alternative? Preferably under $100 CDN, but I could go more than that if I had to I guess. Also, how do I set up the damn thing?

Thanks in advance

toneports are still they just changed the name to pod studios.
I don't understand audio interfaces at all.

If I use my Shure C606 microphone, connect it to an audio interface, connect this to my laptop and start recording in Audacity, will the microphone signal be loud enough? Or do I need a preamp or something??

Thanks for your help
Quote by CE49
I don't understand audio interfaces at all.

If I use my Shure C606 microphone, connect it to an audio interface, connect this to my laptop and start recording in Audacity, will the microphone signal be loud enough? Or do I need a preamp or something??

Thanks for your help

Most interfaces have built in Preamps already
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
But just future advice, if you ever plan to record drums, i would just spend an extra $100 and get 8 channel interface
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness