I was so happy i got a new guitar until i was told that my guitar is equipped with fake active EMGs.
The guitar is a ESP LTD ec-1000 , i got it brand new form the US ( internet order)
I have to admit that it didnt sound really good when it was plugged to a line 6 amp compared to a seymour duncan pickup plugged to the same amp(not sure which one, but a 300$ amp)

So, would ESP risk its reputation by putting fake emgs ?
Is the problem with the amp ?
The dealer changed the Pickups ?
Or there is no such thing as fake EMGs and i dont have to worry about that ??

Thanks for your help =]
im not sure what you mean. you mean they arent really emg's or they arent active?
picture would help
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
The main problem is emgs to me get their sound by pushing your preamp harder which is awsome when using tube amps but probably makes a line 6 sound like shit. i dont think they will sound good with anything solid state but dunno i dont really use actives ever. Another problem is you bought a 900 dollar or so guitar and are plugging it into a 300 dollar amp imo it should be the other way around if your low on cash. and i think its highly unlikely that they would be any kind of fakes unless you bought used and i still doubt it maybe try replacing the battery cause if it is dead or dying it is going to sound really bad. sorry i couldnt be much help i have very limited experience with active pups
Does it have a battery slot? Did you put a battery in it? Did you go to ESP's website and read the specs on the guitar to see what pickups it comes with? Do the pictures match? There is alot you can do to find the answer but little we can do without a photo front and back

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
Who told you that it's got fake EMGs? Whoever did is most likely an idiot. If you bought a guitar new from anyone with the semblance of a reputable dealer it won't contain fake pickups.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
That model comes with passive or actives. Open the back and look and see if there is a battery.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
i don't know what you mean by fake emg's? obviously, if it is a product that says EMG on it and it is not made by EMG, then that is what i understand as 'fake'. and no, it is not really worth it to 'fake' emg's, though i guess anything is possible.

would ESP risk putting in fake emg's? i don't know why they'd risk a lawsuit from EMG risking their trademark image on their pups.

is the problem the amp? i think you are looking for 'problems' here, i don't think there is a 'problem' with an amp that sounds better with a duncan pup, it just means it sound better with passive pups.

the dealer change pups? sure anything is possible, but i don't see too much monetary motivation in 'ripping off' emg's from custom ESP guitars... so there would have to be another motivation

is there no such thing as fake emgs? i wouldn't count on that, China will copy anything.

but here is the deal. active pups use an onboard preamps (hence the battery), so the output signal of the active pup will be substantially higher than a passive pup (like ~1/3 more than a passive). so the slightly higher signal from the pup tends to drive the first gain stage of the amplifier a bit more (V1a). but digital modeling amps don't really live to be 'driven' as digital devices have a more harsh distortion when overdriven.

that is why i assume the SD sounded better than the EMG

edit: damn i am slow at typing, but it looks like me and bluestratplayer are on the same page
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Aug 22, 2010,
@ Avedas and rickyj : Hey guys, What they meant by fake pickups is that theyre cheaply made pickups (let's say faked in china) but look the same on the outside.

@ JohnnyNash : Hey, yes, there is a battery slot, i checked and compared the pics from many ec-1000 guitars and they look the same, and i checked the ESP website and everything seems normal.

@CrackTheSkye: Hey dude, no they don't look like that, mine has EMG logo written in grey on it.(i'll try to upload a pic asap)

@mmolteratx: Hey ! well i agree with that, whoever made me ask such a stupid question and made me search google for 3 hours to check for fake pickups is surely an idiot, but i wanted to check anyways and see if someone had ever heard of fake pickups.

@bluestratplayer , gumbilicious : Hey guys,
Well it all started when my friend compared his duncan to my active emgs on a line 6 amp, and out of nowhere, he got to the conclusion that i have fake EMGs.
At first ignored him and thought he was stupid, then yesterday he called me and told me that he asked a "professional" guy and the guy told him that i have fake EMGs, so i freaked out and i posted this forum.
Basically what you both said is by far true, and all i have to do is check for another amp.

I want to thank everyone for their help =]
Regards.
go to friends home and punch him in the face...NAO!!!!..real what a mffin idiot

ESP EC1000 come with real EMG's and given that you bought it from a reputable online retailer its even more convincing that they're real EMG's

Quote by saeed
I have to admit that it didnt sound really good when it was plugged to a line 6 amp compared to a seymour duncan pickup plugged to the same amp(not sure which one, but a 300$ amp)

Thats why I always say that actives dont sound good through 200$ SS modelers
Last edited by archenemyfan at Aug 23, 2010,
You have Noo Idea how much i would love to punch that guy in the face =P
Thanks for the help =]
Yeah i mean anybody could put emg covers over any pickup and someone who doesnt check for a battery isnt going to know till after they play it but coming from any dealer who wants to stay in business or have repeat customers would never benefit from ****ing someone like that they would have nothing to really gain for it so kick that dudes ass and try and invest in a tube amp when your able then enjoy what emgs are meant to be used for. by the way i want the ec1000 that has the passive duncans in it. i love that combination and the guitar looks like it would be awsome i may have to check into it
There are 2 models of the Ec-1000 that come with a seymour duncan pickup.
I only picked mine to be active because i wanted the vintage black model that only comes with active EMGs.( I'm not sure if they make the same model with seymour, but i guess not)
I have the guitar it's been 2 weeks and it feels and looks great ( I didnt get to hear its full potential yet, i have to plug it in a tube amp at some store =p)
I might have to get a cheat amp now ( that is a line 6/ used Randall), just to have fun and play some stuff until i save enough money for a tube amp =]
btw, there is an 18V mod for those EMG's, increases output even more. many good comparison clips on youtube. works by including another 9V battery in the power supply.

if you are after an aggressive tone then go that route and get a tube, but modelers and digital devices will be expecting more of a passive pup signal...
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Sounds like your 'friend' is just a bit jealous of your new guitar. Maybe he knows your susceptible to a little suggestion. And this 'professional' well I don't know to many people who can tell a guitar has fake pickups in it simply by what a 3rd party tells them over the phone.
Quote by jkielq91
esp have some emg designed pickups

But not on their deluxe line.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
They are called EMG- HZ and they are passive.
They ARE made by EMG but are NOT active, they are passive.

They aren't fakes they just aren't active pickups.
^Those don't come stock on the LTD Deluxe models -_-;

They just come with active EMGs.

They sound like shit through a Line6 Spider.

To be honest I didn't care for EMGs through my Randall when I tried them. Mind you it wasn't an ideal situation...
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
@ gumbilicious : I will try the 18v mod , it might also help improve the sound =] thanks for the help =]

@AdamG313 : Hey Adam, no no, i know the Difference between active and passive pickups, mine are Active pickups, but i was so paranoid by the idea that i posted this thread.
Thanks for the help anyways =]
you're playing it through a solid state amp thats the problem. active pickups only work well through valve amps, and you wont notice any difference between them and passives through a spider. play it through a high gain valve amp and you'll find that you dont have fake emgs
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by gumbilicious
btw, there is an 18V mod for those EMG's, increases output even more. many good comparison clips on youtube. works by including another 9V battery in the power supply.

if you are after an aggressive tone then go that route and get a tube, but modelers and digital devices will be expecting more of a passive pup signal...

The 18v mod increases headroom, not the output.
no man, the emg's should sound great, at least better through a line6! esp/ltd are made for line6, those 2 come together like carrots and pees. Same as marshall and gibson. W/E.
I highly doubt you got fake emg form esp officials, it would of been just stupid.
And you can pretty much tell it's a fake emg or a duncan when you see one, the plastic finish and looks are horable on the chineese ripoffs.
Sound you know is not all that different, I mean the fakes alos do sound alright!
If you bought that ESP new from a decent shop then the EMG's are real.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Quote by Shinozoku
^Those don't come stock on the LTD Deluxe models -_-;

They just come with active EMGs.

They sound like shit through a Line6 Spider.

To be honest I didn't care for EMGs through my Randall when I tried them. Mind you it wasn't an ideal situation...

Everything sounds like shit through a spider.
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Almost 3 years!!! Seriously all these necrobumps are getting really annoying. Check the date people!
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by zl1288
Wow, whats been going on with all the necrobumps lately?

Oh dear...
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Quote by FlammenMeer
no man, the emg's should sound great, at least better through a line6! esp/ltd are made for line6, those 2 come together like carrots and pees. Same as marshall and gibson. W/E.
I highly doubt you got fake emg form esp officials, it would of been just stupid.
And you can pretty much tell it's a fake emg or a duncan when you see one, the plastic finish and looks are horable on the chineese ripoffs.
Sound you know is not all that different, I mean the fakes alos do sound alright!

I will cut you.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs