Hey guys. My first guitar is ( was? ) a First Act that I got from Kmart for a hundred bucks. I remember it being really shitty and hating it. Then I got my MIM Strat and I fell in love with it. Earlier today I went back to the First Act and I realized that it wasn't so bad at all. I just couldn't play very well. I can't feel that much difference in the neck or the sound to warrant that much more money (MIM was 450 at the time ), I mean the strat is better, but not THAT much better. I can make the First Act work

I'm starting to wonder what the point is of even paying a ton of money for a guitar. I'm becoming Jack White, guys.

Anyway, have you all had similar moments when going back to earlier guitars? Did you think they were a lot worse than they were at the time because of your playing? Also, do you all ( objectively ) see a point in paying a ton of cash for a guitar?
The same exact thing happened to me with my First Act, they really aren't that bad. I think a lot of people strive to move up initially because of the "big name" thing, and you don't really feel like you're playing a good guitar unless you own a good brand.

I couldn't play the First Act if I wanted to though. 3 frets short of what I need, vintage tremolo instead of double locking, ugly looks and too vintage design... but if I was into that, I would probably still play it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
the first guitar i played (i didnt really own it)wasa hanna montana first act i hated it it really did suck bout 40 bucks
then i got my ael which i still love to this day
then a few months later i play the first act and it falls apart so i took the chance to bust a jimmy on a bonfire
I have my Ibanez Gio and I still love my Gio. With a bit of work, it could probably be a decent guitar.
I'm a musician/composer before I'm a guitar player.

foREVer

R.I.P Jimmy "The Reverend Tholomew Plague" Sullivan.
haha. i'm the opposite. i started with a schecter pt vintage (tele standard copy) thought it sucked because i wanted humbuckers. now, it's my main guitar over a dual humbucker guitar
I have since become more of a bass guy, so I still own my first guitar. a Peavey raptor plus EXP. I love the thing. Ill probably just change the pickups one day.
no sir away a papaya war is on
i was kind of the opposite, i got an LTD F-50 as my first one then someone in town had a real crappy guitar so i traded them a couple of video games for it and really the only difference between the two to me is the styles pups and the tricks needed to play the crappy one.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
Well I started on an acoustic, which I still play today. My first electric however, was a Laguna LE222. I kind of liked it at the time and I was always told is was an awesome guitar for the $300 that I payed for it. Then I got my LTD H-1000 Deluxe for $700 and I love it to death. Now I actually hate playing my Laguna. The difference in playability is huge.

Now I have been played a few $1200 and up guitars and im not able to find $500 worth of differences so I dont necessarily think that the more money equals a better guitar.
Because deep down, I know you want to:

My Youtube Channel

Constructive criticism is always welcomed.
My first guitar was a Jay Turser acoustic and it's still my only acoustic. It's a great guitar. My first electric was a Saga Tele build-it-yourself kit. It's gone between being a butterscotch blonde, to being a totally punked out sticker'd up ratrod, to sitting in pieces in closet, and recently I turned it into an Esquire that impregnates unsuspecting people with my children whenever I play it. It's freaking awesome.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
i still play my first guitar. i leave it at my parents house so i have something to play when i head back for a visit. its a squire strat, and the neck is suprisingly good. not the greatest sounding thing, but it sounds ok. of course i can then walk into the next room and pick up my sister's squire strat and laugh at how bad it is. neck feels horrid, wont stay in tune for more than 5 minutes and doesnt sound good.

so yeah, some starter guitars are good and have a great place as that old beater guitar. or even as a regular use guitar. others are crap and should be abandoned.
My first was some bottom end epiphone. I can't recall which model, I couldn't have paid more than $100 for it. It had a decent feel to it but the frets were terrible and the pickups were abysmal. I ended up giving it to a friend because he wanted to get started playing electric.
Every once and awhile when I'm at his place I'll pick it up and plug it in. Usually I put it back in the corner thinking something like I don't remember it being that bad.
Quote by MortifiedLizard
recently I turned it into an Esquire that impregnates unsuspecting people with my children whenever I play it.

I think I may have to put that statement in my sig.
I actually make a conscious effort to try and use my first guitar. Mainly because it's a tiny little thing and I have giant hands so need something to practice on for mandolins. My first electric though isn't that good; Doesn't stay in tune, barely sustains, and sounds rather muddy. It's a no-name Chinese strat copy.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Aug 22, 2010,
My first guitar was sweet it was an ibanez gsa60 gio and an ibanez rg7321, I wish i had both of them now.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
I hated my first guitar from the day I got it, and I hated it up until the day I smashed the headstock into the ground.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
In hindsight, the neck doesn't feel as good as the strat, and I don't think it stays in tune as well as the strat. So it's still not a "good" guitar, I guess I kind of overrated. But it's not ultra-shitty.

Anyways, as a subtopic, I remember reading some article about Gibson's guitar quality and the guy said that most of them sucked, and sfter playing all of them the best in the store was some 300 dollar lower tier Gibson ( possibility an epiphone ). How much does price actually affect guitar quality? Was this guy just being a douche?
Quote by Megdidar
I think I may have to put that statement in my sig.

haha, I'd be honored if you decided to.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
My first guitar was a BC Rich Warlock Bronze series. I was putting on a sweater and then it snagged it off the stand. It fell to the ground and the headstock broke right off.
My first guitar was an Ibanez Cimar. It was a strat clone and a piece of junk. About 8 months later I traded it in for a Yamaha Pacifica 112M, which I actually kept with for 7 years, and put some Seymour Duncan pickups in. That guitar is awesome! I actually deny the Cimar was ever part of my collection, it's actually the only guitar that I've ever sold.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I got my first guitar for my 13th birthday. It was a Hondo II acoustic. This was already 25 years old when I got it. The neck was so messed up on. The Action was like looking at one of those monitors that show your heartbeat. Something about the neck made it hurt to fret the strings. Back in the day when I would practice 5 to 6 hours on it I had some of the thickest clauses I have ever had. But for some strange reason I loved that guitar. I recently gave it away to a friend of mine who wanted to learn how to play guitar. The guitar was falling apart. It had more dents in it than a guys car fender after he breaks up with his girlfriend. The tunning pegs where all breaking off one by one so I had to have pliers to tune it. I am actually happy the PoS is gone. Then on to my first electric guitar. I still have it. its a Hondo Flying V. This thing has the ugliest color combo ever. When I first got it from my uncle it was actually a nice guitar. But years of me thinking I knew how to set up a guitar and me not taking care of it screwed it up. So heres whats wrong..... The nut is broke so I put a Capo on it to keep the string from popping out. The frets buzz. The pickup fell in so I took it out and put some paper underneath it to keep it up HAHHAAH. But you plug it in and it still plays, I played it yesterday. It has a amazing neck though. Thats one thing I did like about that guitar. Here is a pic. This pic is out dated. I only have two of those guitars left. I only have the Ibanez and the V left. The rest I sold. I outlined the guitars I was talking about in black.
My Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 75w
- Epiphone SG G-310(Added Seymour Duncan's)
- Epiphone Black Beauty III
- Ibanez RG200
- Squier Telecaster Retrovibe
- John
My SG was my first guitar and I was always bitching about how it sucked and i wanted a new one. I had just made a new friend at the time and we were hanging out and he was like oh you play guitar, let me see that. He played so well on it I just about shit my pants. I realized that my guitar didn't suck, i just sucked. I guess a bad workman always blames his tools right lol.
Ibanez RG with SDBlackouts
Epiphone SG with SD SH1 59/SH4 JB

Fender Blues Jr.
Fender G-DEC 30

Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez TS9DX
Well I can't do anything about playing my original.

It's in pieces in my room at the moment.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I used a Spencer SE200 till I got a ESP LTD M-53. It held up pretty well for it being $120 guitar I bought from a local pawn shop.
my first guitar is sitting behind my 2nd guitar without strings right now.. might have to do it up a bit again as it aint terrible tbh... yeah the pup's are shitty and it doesnt stay in tune very well.. but with a pup change for some better single coils and new tuners it might become good.. only other changes tbh would be a new pickguard and backplate thing and it'd be as good as new.. well better tahn ti was when new
a strat copy i got for $75, i still have it, it is actually a decent decent guitar
GENERIC SIGNATURE
LUXURY no one here so far has anything to complain about or even feel bad.

my first guitar back in 1978 was a no name total piece of crap with a baseball bat sized neck and one pickup smack in the middle of the guitar. slide players would say "damn dude your action is high". i plugged this wonder into a piece of crap lafeyette stereo (they were like radio shack but have been gone for a long time now). oh and i'm left handed so i had to pop off the nut and flip that around (i gave up after a year or so and started to play rightie). i moved up to a Kappa, then a sears Silvertone and then a Supro Dualtone (wish i still had that one) finally i graduated to an ibanez strat copy.
My first guitar was a cheap BC Rich Wartribe (the Kerry King signature), which I basicly chose because of its looks and because it was so cheap that I talked my parents into buying it for me as a christmas present! ^^
Anyway, I LOVED that guitar! I spent hours and hours tweaking and adjusting it and the result was a cheap little guitar that outperformed most other guitars. I ended up selling it though, because I needed money to buy new gear. Kind of regret it now, but that's life. I've been tempted to buy one again since, and even thought about buying the expensive Kerry King model, but I think my next guitar will have to be an 8 string, so I don't think I'll ever get a Wartribe again!

Had a great time with that little Wartribe!

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Schecter C7 Jeff Loomis FR (18volt mod)
Epiphone Gothic Explorer (with SD Blackouts)
Ibanez RG350M Yellow
Peavey C5 Tigerwood 5string bass
Randall RH150G3
My first (and so far only) guitar is an Epiphone LP-100. Decent, but yesterday at our band's practiced I borrowed our drummer's old Crate guitar that his dad got 15 years ago in a starter kit for $100 and it seemed to blow my LP out of the water.
My first guitar was an Epiphone Les Paul Special II, which I really didn't like. It never stayed in tune, pickups sucked, frets and neck were uncomfortable, etc. As soon as I started getting into guitar and taking lessons, I decided I had to get a new guitar and amp. So I got a job, and bought a Jackson DKMG. It was a pretty good guitar, just I wasn't fond of the bolt on neck and I never used the Floyd. So about a year later, I was once again in the market for a new guitar. I had been eying the ESP LTD MH-1000 NT in the Desert Brown Sunburst on the ESP website for a while, but I could never find anywhere actually selling that finish, just blue and green. I could get it on an ESP Horizon NT-II, but they were way over my budget at that point. So eventually, I bought an EC-1000 instead, which arrived in early December of 2009.

Then about a week after I got my Eclipse, all of a sudden a friend who owns a local guitar business sends me a link to MusiciansFriend. He told me they have an end of year clearance sale and he's thinking of buying some gear to resell here. I open the link, and on the first page it's the MH I had been looking for all year, at $500 instead of the normal price of I think somewhere between $700-1000. Shat bricks, and ordered that guitar immediately. It's not as good as an actual ESP or a custom handmade guitar, but for $500 it's definitely a great deal. I've never played anything better that was less than $1300.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, my first guitar was pretty bad, but you can also find relatively inexpensive guitars that are great. Just have too look around I guess.
Last edited by Pat_s1t at Aug 23, 2010,
Quote by Toniofalcon
Hey guys. My first guitar is ( was? ) a First Act that I got from Kmart for a hundred bucks. I remember it being really shitty and hating it. Then I got my MIM Strat and I fell in love with it. Earlier today I went back to the First Act and I realized that it wasn't so bad at all. I just couldn't play very well. I can't feel that much difference in the neck or the sound to warrant that much more money (MIM was 450 at the time ), I mean the strat is better, but not THAT much better. I can make the First Act work

I'm starting to wonder what the point is of even paying a ton of money for a guitar. I'm becoming Jack White, guys.

Anyway, have you all had similar moments when going back to earlier guitars? Did you think they were a lot worse than they were at the time because of your playing? Also, do you all ( objectively ) see a point in paying a ton of cash for a guitar?

My first guitar was a no-name acoustic my dad picked up in Japan in the '70's. It was not terrible, nor did I think it was. The tone is rather tinny though. I still have it.
My first guitar gets played live on a regular basis. It's a Fernandes Decade, which is kinda like a Jaguar, but with no chrome, and over the years it's gone from black and white with Strat-style electronics to HSH where the S isn't even functional, and red with black PG. I've never payed more than $100 for a guitar, and I'd A-B my guitars with their brand-name counterparts any day. A lot of that has to do with me, though. I do all my work on guitars myself, and I'm one of those people who'll spend hours tweaking to perfection.
"We are, each of us, angels with but one wing, and only by embracing one another may we fly."- Luciano de Crescenzo

Makes you feel good inside, don't it?
my first guitar was and still is my favorite guitar of all time... its a Yamaha FG700s... my father bought it of his mate because it never ever ever got used. and i learn t everything i know on it. everything prefect on it I've never had a problem with it and my mates prefer it to their own acoustics.
my first electric is a squier strat HSS, its preety good always had good low action and id still play it if i had strings on it, nowdays i only use it when i need the trem because my LP don't have a trem.
I still like my first electric guitar - it's an epiphone G-400 which i've had modded with out of phase wiring, and a custom built tremolo unit which is huge and heavy and adds a lot to the sound of the guitar even though i don't use it that much. The trouble with the trem however is that the stock bridge is a piece of crap that falls apart easily so the trem pulls the saddles out of place and causes tuning problems, so i need a new bridge (probably a roller) and probably a new nut too. I'm also considering getting some new pickups and push-pull tone pots for series/parallel coil switching within the humbuckers. It's severely outclassed in every way possible by my gibson LP studio though, hence why i've been feeling the need to mod it constantly.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.