Ok so after having to put up with a cheap solid state amp for a while, not by choice, (not even gonna name it) . I finally got a decent amount of money (no job). Ok, so im in a band, and to start off it would have to be loud enough to get over a drummer for practices, however most likely would be mic'd for gigs. The other guitar player in the band uses a vox vt 30 watt, and it surprisingly sounds great. Much better than any other modeling amp ive seen. Im going to try out some amps. my budget is about 350 $ and id really like to not go used even though it is a good idea its just hard at the moment to get around and try things out.

We play a lot of punk, ( sex pistols, clash, circle jerks, etc) and the heaviest we get is grunge.

Im pretty pleased with messing around with his vt but maybe its just compared to my shitty sterile amp. for now id just like to get something to hold me over till i getta job and get money to get the amp of my dreams, but i defintly need something i'd be comfortable gigging with and i just dont have that at the moment.

Really what I've found so far in my price range is the vox vt, or an all tube bugera v22. Ive seen a few reviews on the bugera however im just wondering what you guys think. Im assuming the bugera would handle pedals much better than the vox but im not sure how heavy it can get without them as oposed to the vox.

I mean the vox is more versatile, i just dont wanna regret it after a few months.

Thanks guys
Id go with a 50 watt vt if i was you, unless you want to use pedals because your right the vox wont handle them well.
But for what your playing a vt should handle that about perfectly.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Don't go with the Bugera. It's from Beringher. Enough said. I'm in the same spot as you and I've chosen the Laney VC15 110. All tube, 15W amp. Getting it next Friday and I promise you it's worth checking out. Youtube it and you'll see.
Quote by Sinister Waffle
Who pirates Winrar? that has to be the most passive aggressive program I've ever seen.

"hey you should really buy me, the 40 days is up"
* hits X button*
" Oh okay, maybe next time?"

You sir have just won a thousand internets.
Yeah i mean im really considering the vt. It really surprised me for only having one tube. Where is the tube? Pre amp? Yeah i hear bad things about bugera's reliability. Im defintly gonna try the laney too if i can. Just not sure if it can get as loud as i need and remain relatively clean.
The VT WILL take pedals well, you just have to use the right channels for them. On the boutique clean channel pedals sound great, and even on the AC15 and AC30 channels too.

The onboard attenuator is really helpful for bedroom practice too.

For the bands you listed, the AC15 through to Boutique OD models will sound really good. Make sure you use manual mode to EQ them, the preset EQ settings don't always give the best tone.

The tube is in the Preamp, but it really doesn't do much for the amp as a whole, its more of a gimmick.

Get the VT50 if you can, the speaker out is quite useful for gigging with. It's a very loud amp however, so the 30 would be adequate aswell if its cranked.
The tubes a preamp tube but its in the power section check it out vts do sound very good for there price. It really bothers me that everyone says the tubes in the preamp lol.
http://www.voxamps.com/us/valvetronix/valvereactor/
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Last edited by slipknot_420 at Aug 22, 2010,
Oh ha thanks for clearing up the tube thing. And thats great that they take pedals well. Another thing i saw was like an AD model or something and just the regular but the AD was 10 dollars more if i remember right. Whats the difference?
The ad models the old model should be cheaper i have an ad100vt-xl which they dont even make anymore. They have 11 channels vs 22 and less savable presets the newer vts have more options basically. Just to add ive never had luck with any pedals with my vt even my wah is almost unusable with it. The only pedals that worked with it was my equalizer and bbe both in the effects loop, everything in the front of my vt sounded horrible, but i have an older model ive never got a chance to run pedals with any of the new vts.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
And some pedals

PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Last edited by slipknot_420 at Aug 22, 2010,
They do take pedals very well (the new ones at least) provided you use them on the right channels. Wah will work in front of everything I've found, but don't use distortiony effects on anything other than clean.

The built in reverb and effects are also quite good.
Last edited by Dan_5893 at Aug 22, 2010,
Sorry to dig up this thread. But im getting cold feet haha. I was thinking i might as well go all in and get the 50w to comfotably get over a drummer, but i just feel wierd putting this much money into a modeling amp with one tube. I really am in need of it quickly and like i said sadly used isnt good for me right now. I just wanna make sure its gonna be able to suffice untill i can save enough money for a great tube amp. Untill then though there will be gigs to play and i know most audiances won't care i just really don't wanna sound like a spider which is really the only other modeler i've messed around with. Another thing is i was looking around and for the price i can pretty much get any of these, would i be better off?

Fender pro junior- might be loud enough and can probably handle pedals well but lack of controls and volume worry me

bugerra v22- don't know much about it really other than what i've heard and it seems meh

b52 60w combo- not really familiar with these either other than theyre like a cheap american high gain copy. Not into metal at all and nothing really heavier than grunge, however im not sure if they do moderate and lower gain. And cleans too well.

And an epiphone valve senior- I know the Jr's are quite decent, however i've never played a Sr and don't know much about them

Thanks again guys i really just wanna make the right choice as i don't often come across money.
If you play grunge then I would give the B52 AT60 a good look. They are not the greatest as far as build quality but $360 is a good price in my book for a new one. They have a nice clean channel and can do low gain stuff moderately well. I like it better than the other ones you just listed. Vypyr 60 might be worth a look to but I'm frankly getting tired of bringing it up. Go play some amps.
Quote by slipknot_420
The tubes a preamp tube but its in the power section check it out vts do sound very good for there price. It really bothers me that everyone says the tubes in the preamp lol.
http://www.voxamps.com/us/valvetronix/valvereactor/

I'm sorry but that's like arguing that the Phase Inverter is in the power amp or the preamp. It's just as valid to call it the backend of the preamp as the front end of the power amp. Strictly speaking, it is the power amp because the preamp doesn't need it to be a standalone preamp but the power amp needs to it be a stand alone power amp, but in practice it's just the interface that allows the connection.
Vox are using the valve in a similar way, it's a driver. It's not in the actual power circuit per se, it's tagged on the front as a driver. It is attempting to shape the sound before it hits the output transistors so it is quite acceptable to call that a preamp stage, even more so than a PI. Functionally, when describing it's function to a noob, saying it's in the preamp is less confusing I'd say. You are splitting hairs.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification