Hello all, I have a question concerning replacing the bridge pickup in my Ibanez RG4EX1. I apologize in advance if someone has asked a similar question already.

I play mostly heavy metal, mainly power metal bands like Hammerfall, Kamelot, Dark Moor, etc. with some other influences like Children of Bodom, Nightwish, Symphony X, and bands like those.

I wanted to get rid of my Ibanez Infinity 4 bridge pickup, and have looked at pickups such at the Dimarzio X2N and the Seymour Duncan Invader. I'm looking for something with good clarity, but something high-output that's built to handle the modern metal sound.

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions/recommendations!
Gear:

Ibanez RG4EX1
Peavey 6505+ head
Marshall mc212 2x12 cab
Boss TU2 pedal tuner
If you want clarity, I'd look at something like a Tone Zone. I like X2N's, but they might be a little too much for the prog/power metal type of tone you're going for.
Okay, thanks! I'll keep that in mind.
Gear:

Ibanez RG4EX1
Peavey 6505+ head
Marshall mc212 2x12 cab
Boss TU2 pedal tuner
I like Seymour Duncans...I have them in my Dean and Jackson Kelly.

Other pickups 'might' be fine but I KNOW the Seymours are great.

I have EMGs in a couple of guitars but they are a lot pricier and are more for sheer power.
Budget?
Location?
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Nail Bombs, amazing blooming harmonics, great clarity, high output.

avoid invaders at all costs.
If you want active pickups, look at the Duncan Blackouts. If you want passive pickups, look at Duncan Distortions, DiMarzio X2N or Crunch Lab/LiquiFire pair (John Petrucci's setup).
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
You need high output ceramic or neodymium pickups. You don't want alnico pickups because they simply won't have the definition that you are after. I'd stay away from the Invader and the X2N for different reasons but lets just say that neither are really going to give you the tone you are after. Their are a lot of pickup that could work for you, depending on your amp, so to know which specific pickups to recommend, I need to know what amp you are using. If there are any pedals you use, all the time, then knowing those will help too.
Quote by littlephil
If you want clarity, the D-Sonic will absolutely slay the Tone Zone.

+1

The D-Sonic is one of my personal favorite pickups.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I have found that a good EQ (at least a 10 band) can have the exact same effect as a pickup change. For this reason, I ALWAYS recommend a good EQ prior to any pickup changes.

While there IS a different between the different types of pickups (Single coil, humbucker, P90 ETC) different brand pickups usually only equate to a different EQing and different output. All of this you can do with an EQ. Just make sure you plug your guitar into the EQ before the amp (As you're EQing the tone going IN the amp and not coming out).
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
^It's important to remember that although a good EQ can do a great job getting rid of the sounds you don't want, it can't add sounds that were never their to begin with so it's not simply a matter of running through an EQ pedal. Sometimes they can get you close but other times they can't and it's very rare that they will get you spot on.
Quote by R.D
Budget?
Location?

I live in Kent, Washington in the US. There are several guitar centers near my house (though I know they're hardly the go-to place for something like this)

My budget is about $80 for the new pickup, which I'm installing in the bridge of my guitar.
Gear:

Ibanez RG4EX1
Peavey 6505+ head
Marshall mc212 2x12 cab
Boss TU2 pedal tuner
Quote by CorduroyEW
Their are a lot of pickup that could work for you, depending on your amp, so to know which specific pickups to recommend, I need to know what amp you are using. If there are any pedals you use, all the time, then knowing those will help too.

Okay, I play through a Peavey 6505+ head with a Marshall 2x12 cab, and the only pedal I use currently is a BOSS TU-2 tuner, but I just plug my guitar into it whenever I need to tune.
Gear:

Ibanez RG4EX1
Peavey 6505+ head
Marshall mc212 2x12 cab
Boss TU2 pedal tuner
Quote by Legend_of_Zelda
I live in Kent, Washington in the US. There are several guitar centers near my house (though I know they're hardly the go-to place for something like this)

My budget is about $80 for the new pickup, which I'm installing in the bridge of my guitar.

weeellllll... so much for BK.

Rockfield maybe?
I have a Dimarzio Mo' Joe which is pretty awesome with some good distorion, but if you want something heavy really heavyl I'd go for something like the seymour duncan Invader

application
Ultra high output humbucker built for aggressive playing styles. Recommended for punk, garage, thrash, metal and other heavy rock styles.

description
Designed for the heaviest tones a passive pickup can produce. The combination of three ceramic magnets, over-wound coils and twelve black oxide cap screws make the Invader an electrifying force of energy. The wide magnetic field pumps power into your amp with a totally heavy sound. Comes with four-conductor hookup cable.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/produc...ve/sh8_invader/
- THIS IS MY SIG -
BEHOLD ITS AWESOMENESS
Quote by Jackooh
SD invader is cancer

Never actually used it, thought it looked pretty awesome though xD
- THIS IS MY SIG -
BEHOLD ITS AWESOMENESS
Quote by Samhaynes
Never actually used it, thought it looked pretty awesome though xD

Okay, so I've done more research/thinking/comparing and I think I'm down to the D Sonic or the Crunch Lab.

I feel like the Tone Zone and Super Distortion and such are a little too vintage feeling for my tastes, and I really like the tight, clear and powerful sounds of the two mentioned above. I ruled out the X2N just because of the sound quality and the general tone of the pickup. I did take a look at the Rockfield line, and the Fat Ass seemed closest to what I was looking for, but just didn't sound different enough from the Ibanez Infinity I already have.

I also agree with the numerous comments on the Invader being crap. It is.

Thanks to all for the help, I should be just about good to go! Maybe I'll post an mp3 or a pic or something once I get it installed.
Gear:

Ibanez RG4EX1
Peavey 6505+ head
Marshall mc212 2x12 cab
Boss TU2 pedal tuner
Quote by Legend_of_Zelda
Okay, so I've done more research/thinking/comparing and I think I'm down to the D Sonic or the Crunch Lab.

I feel like the Tone Zone and Super Distortion and such are a little too vintage feeling for my tastes, and I really like the tight, clear and powerful sounds of the two mentioned above. I ruled out the X2N just because of the sound quality and the general tone of the pickup. I did take a look at the Rockfield line, and the Fat Ass seemed closest to what I was looking for, but just didn't sound different enough from the Ibanez Infinity I already have.

I also agree with the numerous comments on the Invader being crap. It is.

Thanks to all for the help, I should be just about good to go! Maybe I'll post an mp3 or a pic or something once I get it installed.

Never tried one, but it might be worth looking at the D-Activator X (combo of the D-Activator and the X2N), but the D Sonic and the Crunch Lab also look pretty good. I've never been a fan of the D Sonic, but that's just me.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Hello again! I know it's been a LONG time, but I did indeed choose a pickup.

I got the D Sonic, which I was EXTREMELY pleased with, and self-installed into my ibanez, turning my $500 axe into something that sounds far more expensive :P

So I posted an mp3 of the pickup sound to my profile, all of which is played in the bridge position, except for one lead bit that I used the Infinity 3 neck pickup for.

Anyway, enjoy and thanks to all for the input on buying the pickup!
Gear:

Ibanez RG4EX1
Peavey 6505+ head
Marshall mc212 2x12 cab
Boss TU2 pedal tuner
Awesome!!

(gasses for D-Sonic now)

I got a Moe Joe and PAF Joe and they are really good together, I now need a D-Sonic in my RG or a future Super-Strat style guitar, with a Liquifire, Then awesomer tone!
Quote by LolCatGuitar
Awesome!!

(gasses for D-Sonic now)

I got a Moe Joe and PAF Joe and they are really good together, I now need a D-Sonic in my RG or a future Super-Strat style guitar, with a Liquifire, Then awesomer tone!

Thanks!

Yeah, I've heard the Liquifire's a great one, especially with the D Sonic combo
Gear:

Ibanez RG4EX1
Peavey 6505+ head
Marshall mc212 2x12 cab
Boss TU2 pedal tuner