Ha so not my normal recording but I just wanted to see how it would turn out.
Havent posted anything on UG in quite a while but I will definitely C4C.
Track is titled 'Break It Down' www.myspace.com/mattrichardsonn
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
That's actually pretty cool!I really liked the harmony part around :35.. I usually don't listen to much of this kind of music but this was good. Your voice sounds nice, too. Everything fits together well and flows smoothly. I have a feeling it will be stuck in my head for a while haha.

If you could check out my piece that would be great
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1352214
Check out my music on my profile
Pretty cool song, I like the vocals and melodies the most. It feels like the drums and other instruments go out of time a lot during the verses and intro. The kick sounds slightly off beat every few measures which kinda makes it hard to get into the beat. I'd definitely make sure to quantize everything so the beat stays consistent and pounding. If you were intentionally going for a slightly off sound, I think it sounds awkward. Anyway, great work overall!

I've got a song up at https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1353256 if you wouldn't mind having a listen. Very different genre, but any input is appreciated!
It kinda sounds like Psych Furs...nice job. The drums sound a bit out of time as stated before - post productiuon can fix that. Original, good stuff.
Pain is temporary. Stupid is forever. - Some really friggin' smart dead dude
that was catchy, kinda like an Elvis COstello tune
Pain is temporary. Stupid is forever. - Some really friggin' smart dead dude
Very nice, I wouldn´t mind having this on the radio from time to time! Nice vocal harmonies at the start, and nice panning effects throughout the song! the drums are somewhat unfitting, maybe you could use a bit more electronic oriented kit for this song, and use some kind of master channel EQ and compression, to give the drums a bit more of a boost. You will be surprised of how much this makes a song sound fuller. Try to controll the synth sounds and piano sounds a bit more, they seem a bit loud at times, not fitting together from the loudness. Some little filter sweeps wouldn´t hurt it, too! Also, I missed the bass, the song is really lacking in the lower frequencies! Work on these little aspects, and you got yourself a great tune, since your songwriting is really nice!

You could take a look at some of my tunes of my CD, you can find it here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=25163800

Greets
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Banned for being the coolest April 08'er on UG.

please check out my own album:
almilano.bandcamp.com
Nice song!

The melody and the lyrics definitely have a lot of pop appeal, I could hear something like that on the radio. Soundwise, it works. Not very original synth sounds, but they serve their purpose well. The effect you had on the vocal was pretty cool, especially combined with the harmonies in the verses, and worked well with the feel of the song. I would consider having the vocals all clean in the chorus, though, I think it could create a cool dynamic.

One thing that bothered me was that it felt like it lacked a driving beat. Feels like there should be a bass playing 8th notes in the verses or something similar in that vein.

All in all, I'd say the song is good. The arrangement works, but could be better, IMO. Keep it up!
Thanks Nashag, constructive criticism is my favorite
I would give constructive criticism if I felt like it needed it but it just doesn't sound like an average UG'er song that needs improvement.
Like if some famous band came on here asking people to critique their songs.
That's kind of how I feel when people post stuff like this so I normally wouldn't even post.

But I guess I'll go ahead and say what I think.
Well it's totally something I would listen to. I love the way it starts out. Just has a sound that kind of makes me feel cheerful. The piano part sounds great over the rest and I <3 the synth work, even if it is the kind of sound that's used alot. It's a sound I like. The part in the chorus is neat.

I really like the vocal harmonies and how you mix two parts together. like at 30 seconds into it, how one of the vocal tracks stays as the same note and the other changes.
Very neat.

I can't say I heard any flaws with the mixing. It sounds professional to me.

The only thing I wouldn't mind hearing is a neat synth solo.. although those aren't exactly common. I just think it'd be cool.

Overall I liked it much and would totally listen to an album of this style by you.

edit: I just realized you were the one who PMed me. Well that's a coincidence.
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Nov 5, 2010,
Matt,
The intro synth reminds me of the Stranglers' "All Roads Lead to Rome" (good, what is that?). Sometimes the timing of some of the synth parts are a bit odd for me. Not sure if you were purposely going for the noticeable Auto-Tune effect vocals (I have mixed feelings on that). If not, I would slow down the pitch correction speed. Otherwise, I think everything sounds quite good! Please review my music at this link:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1376165
Last edited by aaron aardvark at Nov 5, 2010,
Technicolor, Not too much of a coincidence since you happened to critique two of my songs
and once again thanks for the praise, makes it that much more worth it.

Yea the auto-tune was pretty intentional, seeing how I made this song in kind of a joke like fashion just to show how easy it was. I don't think there was a single track in which I didn't just play with one finger on the keyboard, but layering and editing does miracles amiright? though I am somewhat proud of my real-time keyboard drumming haha
Interesting, different from the usual stuff here. Great job on the vocals too. It's very catchy and the sounds you chose work well for that kind of thing. Except for the drums. I found the drums sounding kinda cheap and out of place. Maybe you could try some different sets of drum sounds or see if you can give some life to the drums with some effects. There also seemed to be some timing issues throughout the song, I'd work on fixing those to make it sound tighter and more professional. And where was the bass? Like someone else already mentioned, the song is seriously lacking in the low end.

Anyways, with those things fixed it would be easy to imagine that song being played on the radio a lot. Good job!

And if you don't mind, please check this out https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1378108
Quote by MattsRichardson
Technicolor, Not too much of a coincidence since you happened to critique two of my songs
and once again thanks for the praise, makes it that much more worth it.

I guess what I meant by that, is at first I didn't realize you were also the creator of that other song I liked.. so it was sort of ironic that I liked both of the things you posted before realizing they were both yours.
If you get what I'm saying. lol.
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Nov 5, 2010,