Page 1 of 2
Right. So for the longest time, I've grown very tired of purchasing meals for say 15 dollars at a decent restaurant of something that I really want. Like a good steak or some good fish, but I never ever ever ever finish the entire meal because I get obscenely large portions.

And it's not just at certain restaurants or in certain areas of this country, but literally at almost every restaurant in this country, give or take an exception here or there.

So for about 2 years now, an idea keeps popping into my head every time I go out to eat: have congress pass a bill that mandates all sit down restaurants to offer an accordingly priced "half-price" or "lunch portion" that takes the portion and reduces it between a third and a half depending on how much is offered.

Now I'm not one for government intervention in a bunch of stuff, but this is seriously what's wrong with the US.

In other countries that I've been to, I can pay less for food that I'll actually eat all of. I don't like to waste food and it's not always practice to get a to-go box.

So would this be a legitimate complaint to my Representative?
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Complaint? No.

Idea?

Maybe.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

DOGGY BAG MOTHERFUCKER

DO YOU USE IT?
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
What? No. Just take your leftovers in a box like everyone else in the world
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
No. You want the government to regulate how much food a restaurant serves. That's ridiculous.
I'm sick of humongous serving portions too, but you can't really ask the government to regulate restaurant serving sizes. On one hand, you'll have the idealists who say "NO GOVERNMENT REGULATION", but more importantly, there are more pressing issues to focus on.

Until then, you and I are stuck with the doggie bags.
Battling FC: 0259 8373 3725
just dont screw things up for the rest of us who enjoy eating everything on the plate and think the portions have been shrinking too much...

i think it would hurt a lot of restaurants. they're already stretching themselves these days offering cheaper meals just to get enough people to eat there.

maybe order something smaller? not every plate is huge.
Quote by guitaristren
Why not just save the leftovers for your next meal?

This
Quote by guitaristren
Why not just save the leftovers for your next meal?

Because some things don't taste well being reheated or sometimes I don't feel like carrying something if I'm walking around the rest of the night.

On top of that, do you not think that the reason we serve 16oz steaks and massive chicken breasts for dinner are the reasons that so many people in our nation are disproportionately fat?
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

a law that would make it mandatory for restaurants to sell smaller portions for less money? I don't think you could get anywhere by talking to a representative about this.
F' IT
(whats the worst that could happen)
You'd get laughed at if you tried to seriously pursue this.

I hate to be a troll on your parade, but it's just no br00t3z man
How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?

Twelve. One to change the bulb and eleven to say they could do it better.

Should be a law that they give you a healthy portion if wanted, not enough to give you heart disease or something.
Arms Of Empire
^ ^ ^ Band I am involved in ^ ^ ^
Please check it out? ;D

Axe FX II + EBMM JP6 + Jackson DK2S
Quote by sandyman323
just dont screw things up for the rest of us who enjoy eating everything on the plate and think the portions have been shrinking too much...

i think it would hurt a lot of restaurants. they're already stretching themselves these days offering cheaper meals just to get enough people to eat there.

maybe order something smaller? not every plate is huge.

No, it'd just be an option. Like on the menu would be 2 prices, one for full portion and one for half.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Quote by Weeping_Demon7
Because some things don't taste well being reheated or sometimes I don't feel like carrying something if I'm walking around the rest of the night.

On top of that, do you not think that the reason we serve 16oz steaks and massive chicken breasts for dinner are the reasons that so many people in our nation are disproportionately fat?

No, that's because your unhealthy food is cheaper than the healthy food.

An idea to maybe pitch to your local Boston Pizza? Perhaps.

Demanding to your local politician that the government create a national policy on serving sizes? No.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7

since when are 16 ounce steaks huge? im 14 and ive eaten those b4, and no im not fat. in fact, im kinda skinny for my age. maybe you have an eating disorder.
Originally Posted by strat0blaster
No matter what you like, you will like Meshuggah.

FREE GUITAR STRINGS!
Quote by Weeping_Demon7

No. I blame the people continually stuffing themselves, not the restaurants. Even then, I've heard of some fat people with only genetics to point at.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7

Actually, it's because most of don't know how to put down the damn knife and fork when we're not hungry. Most of us, when we go out to eat, see it as a treat. So when we go out to eat, we keep on ordering everything on the menu regardless of even if we're hungry or not. I should know, I just did it last night

Also mix that in with the lack of exercising, and that's why we're fat, more or less. But I digress. Back to the point...no, you're idea is ludicrous.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
That is some pretty ridiculous government intervention, even for communists.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
The mexican and chinese joints around here usually have half-servings for lower prices. I stuff myself, so I've never really had a problem like that. Probably nothing to write to congress about, unless you just really feel the need to.
if you can't find a good meal for under $15 anywhere in the country than you are either
1) too picky
2) not looking hard enough
3) not really in this country
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Most places serve decently small meals of some kind. I've never been to a restaurant that serves steak, that didn't serve a more moderate portion than 16 oz. How does this list as a priority in your life? When I read this thread, I thought it was gonna be about contacting your rep about gay marriage, net neutrality, getting marijuana legalized or something at least slightly important. You and this thread are ridiculous.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7

No. I think it's cuz no one gets off their ass and sits at the computer all day...
Have you ever tried asking the restaurants for less food for less money ? It may not work, but I'm sure some restaurants would rather sell you a small amount of food and make some money rather than none. And while i think it would be a great idea for restaurants to serve smaller portions at a more reasonable price, it's doubtful any actual laws would get created for this.
So what, you want to be able to call the cops if a restaurant gives you too much food? Why don't you just ask if they can charge less for half a meal.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by rgrockr
So what, you want to be able to call the cops if a restaurant gives you too much food? Why don't you just ask if they can charge less for half a meal.

For arguments sake, you could put it under the ATF or something of that nature.

I dunno, my last couple of posts are a bit out there, I'm kinda tired.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

While you're contacting the government about that, perhaps you should demand that they make at least fifty ridiculous regulations a day. That way we can have all of the laws that we're missing put in place much faster. I wish there was a cop over my shoulder right now, citing me for everything that I'm doing.
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Quote by NickGiovanni
You'd get laughed at if you tried to seriously pursue this.

I hate to be a troll on your parade, but it's just no br00t3z man

Change that avatar bro, I was all ready for some actual insight on the his proposition () then I read this.
all I ever wanted was to pick apart the day
put the pieces back together my way
Quote by (sic)duckmaggot
since when are 16 ounce steaks huge? im 14 and ive eaten those b4, and no im not fat. in fact, im kinda skinny for my age. maybe you have an eating disorder.

Or, maybe you're like every other 14 year old who hits puberty and eats a lot and metabolizes it quickly
boohooohoohooohoooo. The last thing we need is more government regulation. So either eat it, take it home, or throw it out. I get your point, but you'll just have to grin and bear it.
Nine planets surround the sun
Only one does the sun embrace
Upon this watered one
So much we take for granted

So let us sleep outside tonight
Lay down in our mother's arms
For here we can rest safely
Last edited by JakeTheDuck at Aug 23, 2010,
That's absolutely ridiculous. Restaurants are allowed to serve food in whatever portions they decide they want to serve them in. You're not being forced to buy their food. If you don't like the portions, don't eat at that restaurant. If you feel THAT strongly about it, open your own restaurant and incorporate your half-price idea into the menu. Don't expect the government to pass a law forcing restaurants to serve their food in a certain way just because it slightly annoys you.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
So funny I forgot to laugh
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Uhm, no. What are you, like 80? It's not their fault you can't finish their meals. Get fat like the rest of us.
This is something I could see someone like Larry David from Curb Your Enthusiasm doing.

Anyways, I think you shouldn't contact the govt. Maybe suggest it to restaurants though. E-mails and shit.
Quote by lordofthefood1
if you can't find a good meal for under $15 anywhere in the country than you are either
1) too picky
2) not looking hard enough
3) not really in this country

+1

Seriously, what are you expecting from ordering a steak or some fish at a nice restaurant? Most steakhouses I know have smaller sizes of steaks as well.

Not to mention that there are a ton of great places to eat where you could get a well-portioned meal for half that price.
Page 1 of 2