Ok.So i've read a lot of different opinions on moding cheap guitars. I have a Epiphone Les Paul Standard.And while this is a cheaper guitar I thought it was still descent enough to mod into relatively good guitar. I like the way it feels but it sounds kinda muddy to me.I was thinking of changing the pots and pickups. I'm looking for a Joe Bonamassa kind of sound. Any suggestions on what to use.Or is it even worth it.

Thanks for any help.

P.S

I play through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and use Mogami cables.
Quote by The Writ
Ok.So i've read a lot of different opinions on moding cheap guitars. I have a Epiphone Les Paul Standard.And while this is a cheaper guitar I thought it was still descent enough to mod into relatively good guitar. I like the way it feels but it sounds kinda muddy to me.I was thinking of changing the pots and pickups. I'm looking for a Joe Bonamassa kind of sound. Any suggestions on what to use.Or is it even worth it.

Thanks for any help.

P.S

I play through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and use Mogami cables.

I would'nt change the pots unless there messed up, but you can get very subtle tone differences between 250k being(warmer), 500k(brighter), 1meg(even brighter), but they dont make that much of a difference IMO. If anything change the capacitor, but other than that the only thing I would change about electronics is the pickups. I would also look into better hardware. Like tuning keys, bridges etc...as for selecting a pickup I would suggest doing some reading on EQ and frequencys. Then you will know what you want. Most pickup companys have tone charts, and sound samples to compare pickups. That knowledge will be very usful there, and it is worth it. I always suggest modding. You really get to know your intrument that way, and since you've never modding anything I'm guessing, a lower end guitar is a great place to start.

www.seymourduncan.com
www.dimarzio.com
www.stewmac.com
Last edited by kmw91 at Aug 23, 2010,
If you are going to replace the pickups, just go ahead and replace all the electronics: pots, switch, everything. The electronics on your Epi are probably cheaptastic. It's not much more work to replace everything, and better pots do make a noticeable difference, especially in how smooth the taper is. The Epi style switch is not a very robust design and it is likely to break on you anyway, so just replace it now.

While you are at it, I recommend putting hi-pass caps on the volume controls (keeps the guitar from getting muddy when you turn down the volume.
If you get 4-conductor humbuckers, you can do all kinds of neat wiring mods too.
Quote by cedricsmods
If you are going to replace the pickups, just go ahead and replace all the electronics: pots, switch, everything. The electronics on your Epi are probably cheaptastic. It's not much more work to replace everything, and better pots do make a noticeable difference, especially in how smooth the taper is. The Epi style switch is not a very robust design and it is likely to break on you anyway, so just replace it now.

While you are at it, I recommend putting hi-pass caps on the volume controls (keeps the guitar from getting muddy when you turn down the volume.
If you get 4-conductor humbuckers, you can do all kinds of neat wiring mods too.

Perhaps taper and durability, but tone wise they is'nt that much difference other than the different ohms ratings to me, and I've had an epiphone SG for years, and never had problems with the electronics...but yeah if you wanna redo all the electronics go for it. It really isnt that difficult.
Thank you all for the help.Does anybody have an opinion on the Burstbucker Pro's ?
Quote by salgala2000
Ultimate pickup thread should have a review of it. I've never played them

and +1 for cedric, change all the electronics.

Thank you again.It's alot of info to take in and the truth is i'm still not 100% sure what pickups to use or what to replace the rest of the stuff with.So I think i'm gonna roll the dice a little bit and go with the burstbucker pro's and have the electronics replace with every thing out of a Gibson LP Standard.
First thing, an Epiphone Les Paul Standard is an almost $500 guitar. That's not exactly a cheap guitar. When people say don't mod a cheap guitar they are usually talking about really cheap beginner guitars ($200 or less). I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, too. Right now I have a set of Gibson pickups (500T & 496R) in it, but I have a different Gibson set coming for it, 498T & 490R. I didn't change any of the other electronics. I have changed all the electronics in other guitars I've owned and it didn't change the tone enough to justify the cost. So now I wait until a part needs to be replaced before I upgrade it. I know people say that Epi pickup selector switches suck but my 2002 Epi Goth Explorer still has the stock switch in it and it still works perfectly.

And for the record, modding cheap guitars is a great way to learn how work on a guitar. I think every guitarist should learn to swap pickups, set-up their guitar and just do whatever needs to be done to one. Most stuff is actually easy to do.
Last edited by zakkwyldefan79 at Aug 25, 2010,
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
First thing, an Epiphone Les Paul Standard is an almost $500 guitar. That's not exactly a cheap guitar. When people say don't mod a cheap guitar they are usually talking about really cheap beginner guitars ($200 or less). I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, too. Right now I have a set of Gibson pickups (500T & 496R) in it, but I have a different Gibson set coming for it, 498T & 490R. I didn't change any of the other electronics. I have changed all the electronics in other guitars I've owned and it didn't change the tone enough to justify the cost. So now I wait until a part needs to be replaced before I upgrade it. I know people say that Epi pickup selector switches suck but my 2002 Epi Goth Explorer still has the stock switch in it and it still works perfectly.

And for the record, modding cheap guitars is a great way to learn how work on a guitar. I think every guitarist should learn you to swap pickups, set-up their guitar and just do whatever needs to be done to one. Most stuff is actually easy to do.

Agreed. Epiphone Standards are good to modify, especially if you get it used for a good deal. I was lucky enough to find my Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP for $150 with tons of extras like Seymour duncans, Grover tuners, locking strap, and hardshell case. I didn't mod it, but it sound really good compared to most stock Epiphone guitars.

Usually, modifications on guitars are always a good thing, IMO.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Last edited by the1967mustang at Aug 25, 2010,
I really don't understand why everyone always says replace the electronics. The only difference changing pots will do is change the taper (and of course the value if you do decide to change that). Switches are fine if they aren't broke. Hell the switch went bad in my yamaha, did I change it? No I'm way to cheap for that, so I just took it apart cleaned the contacts and bent the wipers so they contact harder. Works great now. The biggest changes in sound are going to be in the actual wiring, the pickups or a placebo effect.
If you want a Joe Bonamassa tone you'd do better to get a Marshall-in-a-box pedal of some kind, like a Wampler Pinnacle, or even a whole new amp.

That said changing pickups will definitely help too, look into WCR Fillmores or Lollars.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
If you want a Joe Bonamassa tone you'd do better to get a Marshall-in-a-box pedal of some kind, like a Wampler Pinnacle, or even a whole new amp.

That said changing pickups will definitely help too, look into WCR Fillmores or Lollars.

I have a Marshall AVT 150 1/2 stack but really dont like it as it is for sale.I play Metal/Rock/Blues and really dont care for it. As for buying a new amp......the hot rod is new and so is my Gibson SG Standard.As much as I would love to upgrad to another better amp it's not going to happen.Atleast not this year. I have to pay for a lot in 12 months or GC will charg me intrest. So I have to make do with what I have at the moment.Paying about 150 for new pups vs 2000+ for an amp is a little more feasible for me right now. But the pedals you mention i'm definitely going to look into.Hopefully GC or samash has them for me to try out.I'm also going to look into those pickups aswell.Is there a guitar that comes with them in it so I could test them out?

Thank you for your input.You guys here at UG are great and full of knowledge. Rock on!