I'm gonna be traveling to the states in about a month. I know that the TSA does random checks on baggage but I'm trying to figure out how to make my hard case work with a TSA lock.

Has anyone else had experience of bringing guitars to the states?
Cause I heard that if they randomly check your bag and it's not a TSA lock, they'll just bust the lock open to check inside.

EDIT: For my electric.
ESP LTD M-100FM Tone Zone (B)/Breed Neck (N) w/ Coil Splits
Fender Electro-Acoustic
Line6 Studio UX2
BOSS DD-6 Digital Delay/DS-1 Distortion Robert Keeley ULTRA Mod
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Dunlop SW-95 Crybaby Slash Wah
Last edited by Esparko at Aug 22, 2010,
i've carried mine and it worked just fine. i've also checked it without any locks on it and it did just fine.
I'm going from Manila to San Francisco using Cathay Pacific, I have a stop over in Hong Kong.
I checked their site on musical instruments and mine doesn't fit the specifications, it's too long for the cabin.

I was thinking of just wrapping the case with a TSA strap thing, looping it through the handle so it can't wiggle sideways.
ESP LTD M-100FM Tone Zone (B)/Breed Neck (N) w/ Coil Splits
Fender Electro-Acoustic
Line6 Studio UX2
BOSS DD-6 Digital Delay/DS-1 Distortion Robert Keeley ULTRA Mod
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Dunlop SW-95 Crybaby Slash Wah
If you want to check a guitar then buy a flight case. A regular hard case may not be sturdy enough to survive American baggage handlers. Those guys are called “throwers” for a reason—they have a sleazy union that allows them to throw your shit around however they feel like, destroy it for fun, and not be fired for doing so.