I've always been aware of how tube amps sound better at louder volumes or when you saturate the tubes to make them hotter to get more "tubeness" out of it. In my band I use a Hot Rod Deluxe>podxt(compression/delay/etc)>boss EQ>ts9dx. I don't know why I never thought of this before but...usually I have the amp on 2, podxt at around 10 o'clock, EQ pedal output just on 0db, and ts9dx level set to be a tad bit louder when I switch from clean to "distortion."

SO my question is, maybe to have my tubes run a little bit hotter, should I turn down the output of the podxt and EQ pedal, which would allow me to run the amp at a higher volume? Would that achieve the saturation or not?
So wait, you get your drive from the TS9? Or from the amp?
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Why not try it and see if you like it. I'm sure your ears can determine if you like better than our opinions can.
Last edited by Matt420740 at Aug 22, 2010,
It's not going to work.

The EQ, depending on where you place it, can only effect the volume of your guitar or your preamp, not your power amp. Same with the POD.

If you really want to get 'cranked tone' at low volumes, you're going to have to look into a reamping rig.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I might be wrong, but I thought that a tube screamer overloads the tubes at lower volumes to get that "tubeness" at lower volumes.

Do you have a preamp volume and a master? Crank the preamp and use the master accordingly. (I'm not familiar with Hot Rods or Fender amps so I apologize if you don't)

Also, just do what you gotta do to find a tone you love...that's the most important thing.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
So wait, you get your drive from the TS9? Or from the amp?

From the TS9......my tone is a basic blues/fender tone so its not anything super gainy or anything

Quote by Matt420740
Why not try it and see if you like it. I'm sure your ears can determine if you like better than our opinions can.

haha well yeah, I'm going to try it tomorrow at practice, I just wanted to make sure that's how its achieved so I don't waste my time trying different things.
Quote by anthsband
haha well yeah, I'm going to try it tomorrow at practice, I just wanted to make sure that's how its achieved so I don't waste my time trying different things.

No thats not how its achieved, but you can try it and see what it sounds like. Basically you are talking about cutting down the level of signal that is sent through your amp input, by lowering your pods output. Its essentially the same as being plugged straight into your amp, and lowering your guitars volume. If you could get great tone out of a tube amp by lowering your input volume, and cranking the amp, there would be no such things as attenuators, because people would simply turn down the volume knob on their guitars.

Quote by anthsband
From the TS9......my tone is a basic blues/fender tone so its not anything super gainy or anything

Not to be a dick or anything, but why are you using a TS9 for your "blues/Fender" type gain, when you have a Hot Rod Deluxe setting in front of you?
Last edited by Matt420740 at Aug 22, 2010,
^ because the drive on the HRD sucks, would be my guess.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
^ because the drive on the HRD sucks, would be my guess.

bingo haha
c'mon, the HRD's driven tone isn't bad, just... different. besides, he's going for a bluesy thing.

anths, try using your tubescreamer the way it was meant to be used, infront of the amp. that'll let you push your master a little harder (and thus, your powertubes). as it is, your TS is coloring your tone (which you may or may not like) and essentially defeating your master volume pot (it still works, but not much need for you to use it ). if this doesn't work, you can kick me in the balls next time you see me... unless you actually plan on seeing me.

I'M DRUNK BITCH!