Hey guys.

Im getting a little into reggae nowadays and I read about a technique that a lot of reggae artists use called skanking. I know Sublime uses a lot of it. I feel like I almost have it, but it still seems a little off. Any advice?

Here is a link to a song where it is done a lot. Also most Sublime is the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyxjO-Lb8T4&feature=search

It almost seems like its downstroke muted, upstroke muted, then played note.

Any advice?
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
I've personally never heard the term. I usually palm mute downstroke and play upstroke.
I thought skanking was gonna have to do with like, being skanky. I seriously saw the title and was like what the f-bomb.
Quote by supersac
i thought skanking was a dance thing at ska shows

It is.
It sounds like TS is talking about how to play ska stuff. From my experience muting the downstrokes, and letting the upstrokes ring out works pretty well.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
yeah, its called the ska upstroke, its used in almost every ska song ever written. like the guy above me said, its muting the downstroke and letting the upstroke ring out.
"Just because you are a character, does not mean that you have character"
-Pulp Fiction
Haha Ive been poorly informed. My apologies.

EDIT: Another example is this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBxn5FK7Cdg&feature=fvw

Is there a term for it?
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Last edited by diceksox1809 at Aug 23, 2010,
Ive never heard a specific name for it, as its simply a normal chord sequence, excpt for the muting on the way down.

You said you nearly have it so ill give you a few tips: -

1. The muting is done with your fretting hand, not your picking palm.

2. Start slowly and gather speed, making sure you can mute and keep the chord consistency afterwards (play the same notes)

3. AS SOON as you have played a chord on the way up lightly lift your fingers off the fretboard to mute again, this is where the choppy reggae funk feel comes from.

$. reverb is always good I find, but thats about it effects-wise (clean channel)

Not sure how much of this you already know but they are what I would call the need to knows of reggae.

Hope it helps
Quote by MWriff

3. AS SOON as you have played a chord on the way up lightly lift your fingers off the fretboard to mute again, this is where the choppy reggae funk feel comes from.

Hope it helps

And when I say this I mean almost at the same time your playing it. the more staccato the better, youll get the feel mate.
Great, thanks. ^
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!