So, my band's original drummer gave us notice mid-summer that he wanted out, and that his last show with us would have to be our one last friday. In that time, we were able to find a new drummer and start teaching him some of our songs. We have a gig in 4 weeks, and i just called him asking when during the week he can practice, and he didnt answer. just now he texted me saying 'hey call me tomorrow, idk if i can swing being in the band."

so, this most likely means, to me, hes going to **** us and blow us off, leaving us with no drummer. our old drummer cant help us out because hes going away to school. and theres no way we can find and teach a new drummer all of our songs, (we do 2 hour sets)

so right now im basically just starting to realize how ****ed i just may be. any advice? hah
plmokn12 wrote:
Yes! You deserve a high five in the spirit of Jim Henson.

Gretsch G5129
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Stratocaster HSS
Yamaha FG-336SB
tell that asshole to at least play that one show. otherwise youll have to cancel.
thats what i was planning on doin, but we have 5 shows in september, so it is kind of a big commitment
plmokn12 wrote:
Yes! You deserve a high five in the spirit of Jim Henson.

Gretsch G5129
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Stratocaster HSS
Yamaha FG-336SB
You'll have to find a new drummer, or cancel the show. It's disappointing that the new guy pulled out - that's his bad.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Doesn't look like you have much of a choice here... you try to convince the drummer to stay; if that doesn't work you cancel. Kinda sucks either way though :\
So, you're playing 2 one-hour sets. I *have* to assume you're being paid for this, right?

What working bands do when faced with "cancel and look bad" scenarios is they hire someone. Yes, call one of those "jobbers" - guys who will play anywhere, anytime and with anyone... so long as he's being paid.

Now, it might hurt a little. I dunno... you might have to pay him $300 to show up and play. That means, out of the $400 you would get for the show, the rest of the band, as a whole, makes only $100. But that's $100 more than you would have made if you cancelled, and you still keep your good name by following through on your commitments.

Maybe if you can get this "jobber" to commit to these five shows you have lined up, he'll cut you a deal? Then, don't book anything else until you have someone on board who won't force you to bleed money.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
^^ What axemanchris said, hire a session drummer. If not you could always use a drum machine
Wow! I'm now in this situation as we speak, although the gig is in 2 days instead of 4 weeks. I'm calling around now with a monetary offer and 6 pack of beer on the table.

I'll also add that I had a gig once (different band), and the drummer accidentally shredded his hand with a carving knife 3 days before it. We were playing with a couple of other bands, and as the band before us ended and was about to pack up, I asked their drummer if he could play with us. He said "sure, as long as I can have some beer!" Done! Gig went fine.
Soundcloud
Quote by Zycho
4 weeks is plenty of notice to cancel a gig.

It's also plenty of time to find a new drummer. Never underestimate the adverse effects on your reputation of booking a gig and canceling.
Soundcloud
You definitely have enough time to find someone and learn the material, but you certainly won't have time to find someone who you get along with well and someone who shares your tastes, the usual stuff you look for in band members.

In all honesty you will probably have to pay someone, as stated above, but to be honest if you can find someone good enough who is willing to put in the effort, then go for that, you'll still get paid, you won't look bad for cancelling and you'll gain valuable experience playing with a skilled musician.

Also, as much as musicians like to think, "It's all about the music," don't underestimate the power of money, I'm pretty sure I would drum for pretty much any kind of band for a decent wage, as would most people, even though most wouldn't admit it
Quote by Zycho
4 weeks is plenty of notice to cancel a gig.

I agree with this, axemanchris raised an interesting point, which would be an ideal solution, but it isn't always easy to even find a session drummer. It depends on who's available, and depending on where the TS lives, there may not even be any in his immediate area.

I think the thing is not to risk to much on it. Realisticaly weigh up your chances of having a drummer gig-ready by then. Personaly, I wouldn't have a problem because I'm lucky enough to know 2 or 3 damn good drummers who could probably jam most of the set and who are always up for a change of scenery, but you may not be in such a position. So if you're not, and you doubt in any way that you can pull it off, then the decent thing to do is to cancel as early as you possibly can, which gives the promoter a better chance of finding someone else for the gig.