I've been playing for about two years, and Master of Puppets is a really simple song to me but I just can't downpick it. Everytime I attempt to play I'm too slow and I start messing up because my arm gets too tired starts shaking too much. So how do I increase my downpicking speed so I can play this song easily? Does it require certain muscle training or something?
You could alternate pick...
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
i downpick
when learning the song i just played it slow and sped up until i got to the speed im so glad i didnt know i could strum up when i learned that song
alternate pick, but i agree, by the end of 8 and a half minutes my arm starts getting tired lol
I don't suggest trying to learn the song with alternate picking, rather strengthen your downpicking.

To do this, just do regular exercises, but only use downpicking. slowly increase your speed, your picking hand will be much stronger.

Downpicking sounds a lot more aggressive and it's a good thing to have speed at, especially if you play rhythm.
I've never tried to play that particular song but I'm sure its just a technique issue man the old thrash stuff requires a lot of stamina just keep working at it bro you will get it,its the only way practice,practice,practice
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
everybody knows that james hetfield down picks everything and kirk alternate picks. So for metallica its sorta your choice but alot of people would agree the sound of downstroking is better. So yes just train your muscle alot. Learn alot of different songs and downstroke the riffs and you will get better.
Downpicking is the right way to do it. No one's forcing you to do it right, so you can alternate pick if that makes you feel comfortable, but downpicking is the correct way. Just keep doing it and you'll get better. You can also exercise your arms outside of guitar like lifting weights. I do that occasionally.
Gear for the moment:
Epiphone Goth Explorer (w/stock pickups)
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt Amp
Boss PW-10 V-Wah Pedal
I'd love to see kirk hammet lift some 5 pound dumbells hahaha
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
I still think that you should always learn a song right the first time, even if it's harder.
i downpick it all. but as mentioned before by the end of the song my arm is pretty dead lol
just start out slow and build it up eventually, same as any other guitar technique really. practice practice practice!
MD5K
IBANEZ
Quote by blankoff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSWolb3wO9o

i noticed a big difference in my downpicking after using this.

this!!

and do not rush it, make sure you warm up and go up 10 bpm a day.

also, in the video he says he started at 70, i recomend starting at 60.

what i did was:
first day - 60
second day- 63
third day- 67

and then went on from 70 like he says in the video, move up a little bit each day. even do it more than ones a day to keep up your stamina.
i used to be the same. couldn't play the riffs down picking and when i alternate picked it sounded like shit. so i just got really pissed and started down picking the e string as fast as i could as long as i could (sounds boring). eventually your stamina builds up and you can play faster/longer. it benefits you in the end.
When you're downpicking, only use your wrist and not your whole arm, your arm should remain in the same position and your wrist and hand chugging at the low E string.

Also thicker picks tend to work better for me for downpicking.
Schecter Omen 6FR
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Line 6 spider IV15
Yamaha F325
Start off VERY slow. Using only your wrist for the picking.
Stay relaxed and don't tense up.
Wait, I'm confused.

First you say this:

Quote by Jpboy1994
Master of Puppets is a really simple song to me

But then you say this:

Quote by Jpboy1994
Everytime I attempt to play I'm too slow and I start messing up because my arm gets too tired starts shaking too much.

Clearly the song isn't really simple to you, or else you wouldn't play it slowly, get tired, and mess up.

The way to do it is to practice your downpicking with a metronome.
The video that was posted is a great exercise.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
it's important to note that BOTH james and kirk down pick all their riffs whenever possible! save for the riffs that are alternate picked, like "fight fire with fire", songs like master of puppets are down picked throughout.

kirk hammett once described an exercise he does before shows to warm up his right hand. it goes like this: pick EACH open string one at a time using ALL down picks as fast as you can for as long as possible!

i learned to down pick fast by playing along to records like master and justice all the way through every day for about a year...GOOD LUCK!
Just practice, try to keep your hand & arm relaxed, do NOT tense up or your stamina goes down the drain.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
I've been slowly building up my downpicking speed, but in the meantime when I want to play MOP with the recording I use down-down-up, for the first section anyway. Other than that I play downpick as much as possible and alternate the rest.

getting there though.
Ibanez AF105VB
Ibanez RG2550Z
MIM '92 Fender Strat
Peavey Triumph 60
MXR-108.
and that's it. done buying stuff. probably.
Can some tell me why you would want to down pick? You can acheive the same sound using alternate picking, and it's much easier and you can be much faster.
A year from today, if you've taken the patience to make yr wrist relax and downpick it, you will also be able to alternate pick it that same day anyways so give yrself both options, the eventual new technique will open doors to other songs. But if you don't down pick it in time, it will be noticable, more than if u alternate picked so learn right, extra right. It's tough.
Quote by SirMajorMusic
Can some tell me why you would want to down pick? You can acheive the same sound using alternate picking, and it's much easier and you can be much faster.

down pick once, then pick upwards.. if you dont notice the difference keep doing it till you do. Its the same as bending a string, bending upwards has a slight difference to bending down..
Quote by rockgodman
everybody knows that james hetfield down picks everything and kirk alternate picks. So for metallica its sorta your choice but alot of people would agree the sound of downstroking is better. So yes just train your muscle alot. Learn alot of different songs and downstroke the riffs and you will get better.

Kirk downpicks every song just like James n00b. TS, learn the song with downstrokes, it will take time, yes, but your downpicking will be immensly better once you do.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
The only parts I down pick only are the intro and the "Spider riff". Everything else I'll alternate pick.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by UnseenBucket
down pick once, then pick upwards.. if you dont notice the difference keep doing it till you do. Its the same as bending a string, bending upwards has a slight difference to bending down..

You can only hear a difference when you are listening for a difference. Master of Puppets is far too fast to even begin to hear a difference like that. When I bend the low E string down, it sounds the same as if I were to bend the G string up.
Quote by SirMajorMusic
You can only hear a difference when you are listening for a difference. Master of Puppets is far too fast to even begin to hear a difference like that. When I bend the low E string down, it sounds the same as if I were to bend the G string up.

But if you down pick it all the way through then there's a consistency.