So, I've been playing mostly improv stuff trying to come up with riffs and solos for the past few months. I dont know too many scales and modes or whatnot, so alot of my playing sounds really generic. From listening to arists like Buckethead, Steve Vai, Paul Waggoner, ect. I realised how basic my improved playing sounds. How do I make my playing sound sad, like in Padmasana, or the end part of Mordecai? Are there certain things that can help make me sound sadder? Or certain scales I should use?
Well "sad" sounds are generally associated with songs in a minor key, but in the end it's about you and note choice.

It's not the scale itself which sounds sad, it's the melody which you create with it.

Edit: And if that fails, draw a sad face on it.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
minor scales intervals and chords
also playing slower sounds sad
i never really had a problem playing sad ive even been voted as most depressing musician amongst my musician freinds
Quote by #1 guitar dude
Rape....thats all im going to say

Warning...that's all I'm going to say.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Harmonic minor scales. I made my explorer cry plenty of times with that.

Try avoiding a few major scales. Those tend to sound happy and full of joy. At least from what I've played.
Gear for the moment:
Epiphone Goth Explorer (w/stock pickups)
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt Amp
Boss PW-10 V-Wah Pedal
Last edited by Shredderman8160 at Aug 23, 2010,
Think about anything that makes you sad while you play

Im 100% serious. Youll amaze yourself with what you can do with just 3 or 4 notes and a lot of purpose
Think sad, and use minor scales. Also, try letting your notes ring out for longer than usual, and make your slides/hammer-ons slow. Adding small bursts of speed (not shredding) can help. Use a good bit of reverb.
Start listening to a couple of blues artists and take a listen to what they do. Lots of minor scales, slower playing, an emotional bend here and there. A lot goes into it, but some of the old blues guys... you could tell just how they felt when they were playing.
"Here I sit, beneath a lonely line."

~iband48's signature
Songs like Padamansa have the sad feel because of the chords. Very mellow, and with a slow clean melody on top. Of course halfway through the song you can do what buckethead does and put a bit of drive on for some variation. Just work on making those bands squeal and practise your vibrato.

And learn some of the songs you mentioned.
the ol' hangin on a bent note which carries across several chord - i.e. a chord tone common with say 2 or 3 chords
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
1. Get drunk
2. play pentatonic scales fast
3. throw in some divebombs and pinch harmonics
4. Get killed onstage
5. become legendary guitarist instantaneously

Quote by Holy Katana

How dare you attack the greatness of the augmented sixth?
Quote by iband48
Start listening to a couple of blues artists and take a listen to what they do. Lots of minor scales, slower playing, an emotional bend here and there. A lot goes into it, but some of the old blues guys... you could tell just how they felt when they were playing.

I actually do not find blues sad at all.
Quote by griffRG7321

Listen to Lenny by srv and repeat the sentence to me.

In fairness to you, a lot of blues is major, but asides form jazz its the only genre where its acceptable to solo in Em over an Emaj 12 bar. Gives so much more option for soloing lol.

but even so, sad blues is saaaaddddddd, its either really jolly or really depressing lol.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by griffRG7321

yeah i find blues fun to listen to, the saddest songs for ME are the 20 minute metal epics for some reason
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
1. Get drunk
4. Get killed onstage

Quote by Holy Katana

i find hirajoshi pentatonic is sad for me, usually exotic scales are easy to depress-iate i believe
Quote by Banjocal
Listen to Lenny by srv and repeat the sentence to me.

In fairness to you, a lot of blues is major, but asides form jazz its the only genre where its acceptable to solo in Em over an Emaj 12 bar. Gives so much more option for soloing lol.

but even so, sad blues is saaaaddddddd, its either really jolly or really depressing lol.

Listened, it's nice, i don't find it sad at all though. When i think of sad i think of something like Adagio for strings (everyone knows that piece) or this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTFagmCBPMc.

Quote by Livingtime
hirajoshi pentatonic

Last edited by griffRG7321 at Aug 23, 2010,
Quote by griffRG7321
Listened, it's nice, i don't find it sad at all though. When i think of sad i think of something like Adagio for strings (everyone knows that piece) or this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTFagmCBPMc.

When I hear that song in movies and shows and stuff, I laugh. Its just so cliche. Although, I do always love hearing it performed.

If you like samuel barber, check out his brass choir stuff.
The Aeolian (a.k.a. minor) scale is your best bet.

Also, using the right phrasing can make songs seem much sadder.
In my opinion, C minor is the saddest key. Ok, now let all the rabid Paul Gilbert fans post and say, "nuh uh Paul says D minor is the saddest key." Nope, I associate D minor with too many Rage Against the Machine songs for it to be sad to me anymore.

Anyhow, concentrate on trying to speak with your instrument. Try to make your licks and phrasing say something.

Really good examples of this in Since I've Been Loving You and Tea For One, both Led Zeppelin tunes. Jimmy wails in both.
Quote by STONESHAKER
In my opinion, C minor is the saddest key. Ok, now let all the rabid Paul Gilbert fans post and say, "nuh uh Paul says D minor is the saddest key." Nope, I associate D minor with too many Rage Against the Machine songs for it to be sad to me anymore.

Anyhow, concentrate on trying to speak with your instrument. Try to make your licks and phrasing say something.

Really good examples of this in Since I've Been Loving You and Tea For One, both Led Zeppelin tunes. Jimmy wails in both.

KILLING IN THE NAME OF!!!!

DUH DUHDUH DA DUHDUHDUH DA DUHDUHDUH

BULLS ON PARADE!!!!

DA DUH DA DA DUH DA DA DUH

repeat as necessary

(see what I did with the d's there)
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
1. Get drunk
4. Get killed onstage

Quote by Holy Katana

Lmao.

Yeah =P

I find that for minor soloing, arpeggios are a must (or for that matter, all soloing); always handy, and the minor shape are rooted on the D sounds depressing. =P also, add in the flat 5 to the minor scale. sounds blusier. my standard minor pent (E) is E G A A# B D D#

but use the whole minor, not pents if you want it sounding really prett, or, use a pent and use the 4 and 6 as passing notes

And yeah, there is a difference in keys. Dminor is the saddest as it's open chord shape, but in terms of key, I would say its C#minor
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Aug 24, 2010,
you want to make your guitar sound sad, eh? well, slow minor scales, double notes and semitone hammering and pulling should do something for you.
on the other hand, if you want to make it scream it's heart out, it's pinch harmonics with a nice wah pedal in a minor key all the way.
actually, a good half-sad easy solo to learn is "I Could Have Lied - Red Hot Chili Peppers"
try listening t maggot brain by funkadelic...now that is sad
Quote by '93
try listening t maggot brain by funkadelic...now that is sad

I heard that to get one of their songs to sound really sad, they lied and told their guitarist in the studio that his mom just died right before he played. Is it that song?
This has probably already been said (never read the whole thread), but just use Minor keys
Whenever I think "sad" I think of slow ballads with a strong voice and long, slow, drawn out solos. Keep it clean with delay during verse and then go into something gainy with a lot of bends.

Oh, and I wouldn't rate blues as predominantly sad either. Bonamassa's "Sloe Gin" is one of the only examples I can remember.
Gear:
- Ibanez RGR465M
- Ibanez S770FM
- PRS SE Custom
- Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
sorry, should of said this before... listen to death cube k/buckethead

saddest stuff you'll ever hear
The first part is practicing so much that when you've got a guitar in your lap, you feel more comfortable than you do naked in the shower.

The second part is going through so damn pain. Hemingway said something like "a man has to take a lot of pain to write a really funny book". Well, if you wanna have soul in your tone and your tunes, you gotta go down that route for at least a few tries.
Quote by jimisatchsrv
The first part is practicing so much that when you've got a guitar in your lap, you feel more comfortable than you do naked in the shower.

The second part is going through so damn pain. Hemingway said something like "a man has to take a lot of pain to write a really funny book". Well, if you wanna have soul in your tone and your tunes, you gotta go down that route for at least a few tries.

hmmm....

*stabs mother*
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
1. Get drunk
4. Get killed onstage

Quote by Holy Katana

Maybe try some finger picking, I think the tone and dynamic you get with that could help. Also try a tremolo effect if you have that, and more obviously a slower tempo and minor key. Really though, I fell like it's the whole package and how you put it together that's most important. I'm sure you can make a fast, distorted guitar part in a major key sound sad if you did it right.
Quote by tubatom868686
I heard that to get one of their songs to sound really sad, they lied and told their guitarist in the studio that his mom just died right before he played. Is it that song?

George Clinton told him to imagine his mother died but it wasnt true.

but yeah thats the song...and imo it a song that really brings that idea into effect