I'll be going off to college soon, I recently learned the hard way that, at the point I'm at in my musical endeavors, based on the gear of everyone I play with, I don't need to have a tube amp at gigs, and even with the added cost of one of the Sanpera pedals, it'd still be cheaper for me to buy a Vypyr and use it's whammy emulation than indulge my suppressed pedal fanaticism with a Digitech whammy, which I'd mainly use for the pitch shifting, which would also take care of my need for a more reliable, decent-sounding amp, as well as my need for something that doesn't need to be cranked for a good sound for college. Plus I like more than a few different amps tonally, so a decent modeler would be handy now and then. I'm not selling my tube amp, but solid-state amp that's not in contest with the MG for worst solid-state amp would be nice.

The above has had me looking into a decent modeling/Solid-state amp for the past few weeks. I hadn't really given the Vypyr's much thought since I'm generally a fairly strong tube guy, so I was leaning fairly strongly out of the gate. However, a local shop celebrated it's 45th anniversary today, and part of the celebration was a bunch of clinics back-to-back. One such clinic was a Peavey clinic, focusing on the Vypyr amps. The clinic impressed me enough to try them, and I rather liked them when I tried them later that day.

Anyway, enough rambling, onto my questions about the Vypyrs.

1. They've been out long enough for this to have been tested some; How are they in terms of longevity?
2. How are the cleans? He used them clean now and then, but mainly the clinician used an OD pedal or the Plexi model. Understandably, as nowadays more people use a dirty sound than a clean sound, so he's going to appeal to the larger market, but if I'm buying, I want quality cleans.
3. Is there anything that may be a better value in the same sort of market?
4. Will a 30W cut through? I figure it will, as when the clinician used an unmic'd 15 watt, it could keep up with the PA, but I just want to be sure.

As always, thanks for reading through my ramblings, and any and all responses are appreciated.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
If you want to hear some of the clean/dist tones from it, check out http://vypyrsettings.tk/ Many people upload their settings and some also add samples. I find the cleans on the Vypyr to sound pretty good for a modeler, but it's High Gain sounds are what it does best.

On the question about reliability, I've heard people who've had a few minor glitches with the amp, but they're usually resolved through firmware updates. I myself have never had any problems with it.
Gear:
Jackson DXMG
Schecter 006 Deluxe
BC Rich Revenge Warlock
Jasmine Acoustic
Peavey Vypyr 30
ok i have a vypyr this will probably help

1. the pitch shifter changes the tone ALOT,it doesnt sound very good, so if your just goin to mess with it for fun its fine but i dont think for much else

2. when using the sanpera's volume pedal you can get a pretty decent low vol sound if you crank the amp up and turn the vol pedal down

3. yeah i think its a pretty decent amp modeler

4. i am very happy with the cleans the dirtys could use work but its not that bad really

5. oh yeah you'll cut through it is loud

6. i dont know of anything at a better value but it wouldnt hurt to look

7. my vyper has held up wonderfully but i have heard of people having problems
why not just use your tube amp? just because no one else has one isn't a reason for you to let it collect dust.
Quote by spacec0wboy
If you want to hear some of the clean/dist tones from it, check out http://vypyrsettings.tk/ Many people upload their settings and some also add samples. I find the cleans on the Vypyr to sound pretty good for a modeler, but it's High Gain sounds are what it does best.

On the question about reliability, I've heard people who've had a few minor glitches with the amp, but they're usually resolved through firmware updates. I myself have never had any problems with it.

Will listen to those soon, thanks for the link, as well as the take on the reliability.

Quote by thelordofdarkch
ok i have a vypyr this will probably help

1. the pitch shifter changes the tone ALOT,it doesnt sound very good, so if your just goin to mess with it for fun its fine but i dont think for much else

2. when using the sanpera's volume pedal you can get a pretty decent low vol sound if you crank the amp up and turn the vol pedal down

3. yeah i think its a pretty decent amp modeler

4. i am very happy with the cleans the dirtys could use work but its not that bad really

5. oh yeah you'll cut through it is loud

6. i dont know of anything at a better value but it wouldnt hurt to look

7. my vyper has held up wonderfully but i have heard of people having problems

1. I'm aware; I'm looking for something to use as a pitch shifter a la Buckethead, I want that octave up. Unless it doesn't track well?

2. Thanks for the hint mate.

3. Excellent.

4. Once more, excellent.

5. See the above two.

6. Alright then.

7. And again, excellent.

Thanks for the firsthand account mate.

Quote by GrisKy
why not just use your tube amp? just because no one else has one isn't a reason for you to let it collect dust.

I'd still use it, but for both of the last two gigs I've had issues with the tubes after the soundcheck, so I'd like a backup that actually sounds good, and I'm not taking a heavy, $600 amplifier that needs tubes changed every now and then to college if a $200 solid-state modeler will do.

The best Vypyr is still the Vypyr Tube. You'll only have to change tubes once a year or so, and that's if you use the amp every day.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I have a V75 (at least for another couple of weeks). Pretty damned good deal for what I got.

Quick hint: Vypyrs get really loud REALLY fast. It goes from not moving any air to blowing my hair back, so they're somewhat...crazy volume wise. That's tempered by the sanpera volume control though. The pitch shifter doesn't sound phenomenal but it works well.

1. Mine has been fine.
2. Good. Surprisingly so for such a cheap amp.
3. Nope, not really.
4. Yes. My friends used a couple in a gig a few months ago and they were fine.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Raijouta
The best Vypyr is still the Vypyr Tube. You'll only have to change tubes once a year or so, and that's if you use the amp every day.

I'd actually love a Vypyr Tube: I can probably afford it, and it'd satisfy my desire for valves. However the lowest wattage they come in is 60W, which is more than I'm looking for(The clinician, again, using a 15W, kept up with a PA loud enough that certain parts of his inflection hurt my ears enough to make me seek a seat farther back. On top of that, the largest venue I'd play right now would be a local club or a smaller venue, nothing I'd need a lot of power for, and this'll probably be my college amp too, so the smaller the better, within reason).

Granted I could use the Sanpera's volume pedal to keep things tolerable, but a big part of why I'm buying the footpedal in the first place is the pitch shifter, and I'd either need a separate volume pedal or I'd have to buy a Sanpera II to have the volume and the shifter, which is still possibly doable, but a bit much that I'd like to avoid. That said though, I'll try to A/B them sometime soon, see if the difference in tone is enough to justify.

Quote by Sadbutrue62
I bought a 15w vypyr awhile ago. Very good for only $100. Cuts through loud drumming fairly well

Excellent, thanks for the reassurance there.

Quote by oneblackened
I have a V75 (at least for another couple of weeks). Pretty damned good deal for what I got.

Quick hint: Vypyrs get really loud REALLY fast. It goes from not moving any air to blowing my hair back, so they're somewhat...crazy volume wise. That's tempered by the sanpera volume control though. The pitch shifter doesn't sound phenomenal but it works well.

1. Mine has been fine.
2. Good. Surprisingly so for such a cheap amp.
3. Nope, not really.
4. Yes. My friends used a couple in a gig a few months ago and they were fine.

Sounds a lot like my Fender; You could replace the volume control with a 3-way "Off, loud, more loud" toggle, and you wouldn't notice a difference. Thanks for the heads-up. As for the pitch shifter, what do you mean by that? As in tonally it sounds off from fretting an octave up, it sounds off from how a pitch shifter should sound, it didn't track well(I doubt this is it since you said it works well), it gets annoyingly sharp when you shift up, etc.?

1. Excellent.
2. Awesome; this has been a part of my primary concern, since the cleans were the thing the clinician and, once I tried it out since I wanted to use it how I would and only had a limited amount of time before the next clinic(Which was a Fender clinic, and I've always loved a good strat or tele, so I wanted to hurry so I could see it), I, showed the least.
3. I'll keep looking, but so far that seems to be the case.
4. Once more, excellent.

Again, thanks mate.

Quote by necrosis1193
I'd actually love a Vypyr Tube: I can probably afford it, and it'd satisfy my desire for valves. However the lowest wattage they come in is 60W, which is more than I'm looking for(The clinician, again, using a 15W, kept up with a PA loud enough that certain parts of his inflection hurt my ears enough to make me seek a seat farther back. On top of that, the largest venue I'd play right now would be a local club or a smaller venue, nothing I'd need a lot of power for, and this'll probably be my college amp too, so the smaller the better, within reason).

Granted I could use the Sanpera's volume pedal to keep things tolerable, but a big part of why I'm buying the footpedal in the first place is the pitch shifter, and I'd either need a separate volume pedal or I'd have to buy a Sanpera II to have the volume and the shifter, which is still possibly doable, but a bit much that I'd like to avoid. That said though, I'll try to A/B them sometime soon, see if the difference in tone is enough to justify.

Excellent, thanks for the reassurance there.

Sounds a lot like my Fender; You could replace the volume control with a 3-way "Off, loud, more loud" toggle, and you wouldn't notice a difference. Thanks for the heads-up. As for the pitch shifter, what do you mean by that? As in tonally it sounds off from fretting an octave up, it sounds off from how a pitch shifter should sound, it didn't track well(I doubt this is it since you said it works well), it gets annoyingly sharp when you shift up, etc.?

1. Excellent.
2. Awesome; this has been a part of my primary concern, since the cleans were the thing the clinician and, once I tried it out since I wanted to use it how I would and only had a limited amount of time before the next clinic(Which was a Fender clinic, and I've always loved a good strat or tele, so I wanted to hurry so I could see it), I, showed the least.
3. I'll keep looking, but so far that seems to be the case.
4. Once more, excellent.

Again, thanks mate.

Good luck with everything. Also, where are you going to college?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened

Good luck with everything. Also, where are you going to college?

Thanks. ^^ And I'm mainly looking at a bunch of local colleges after how much of an asset my brother being within an hour or two's drive from home while he's at college has been, though I have been looking into engineering and business courses at Berklee, but tuition there is terrifying.

I'm thinking about applying to Berklee in a couple of years... provided I even have the ability to get in!
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
i own the vyper 15 as does my girlfriend, and my bestfriend owns a vper 30. My girlfriend uses her strat and her jackson for alot of clean sounds and gets very good results (just have to play around with the eq a bit.) My bestfriend and i both have ltds and the amp can really blast metal tones (hes a shredder while i do mostly rythm)

They have both had theirs for about 2 years and not once have they broken down or caused a problem.

Volume wise on my vyper 15, since i live on a second floor apartment im not allowed to put it all the way up, but when im home alone i put the volume up to 8 out of 15 and i can shake my floor and sometimes windows.

If you wanted to compare its value then compere it to the spider. They are both the same price but i think you get a much better tone from the peavy. (vyper 15 is $95 in store)

Overall for a cheap amp, i really love it and it really does the job.
Last edited by -Kr0n1c- at Aug 23, 2010,