Page 1 of 2
I thought about going to a store and asking for a test booth for an amp, knowing that IF Id even buy it, it get it used from somewhere else. I already did this to an ESP M-II, tested it in the store, searching for a used one atm.

Would I be a dick?
no
Guitars:
94' Epiphone Les Paul Honeyburst
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
im pretty sure thats what 90% of people that test out equipment do.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Nope.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Not at all. Just tell them when you're done that you'll need to think about buying it first.

I do that all the time. Unless it's something that I can't wait for, or they have a great sale going on at the time, I'll look to buy it on the internet after testing it out.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
no. if it was me, id be more likely to buy strings/picks/etc from them if they let me do it and were nice about it. if they were jerks or something, not only am i not buying the amp from then, but im also not going to buy anything else from them. im looking at you guitar center...
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
No. Think of it as pay pack for all the times those GC employees have swindled kids who were too uneducated about gear to know that buying that Frontman was a stupid idea.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Just do it. You know you want to.
Quote by Sinister Waffle
Who pirates Winrar? that has to be the most passive aggressive program I've ever seen.

"hey you should really buy me, the 40 days is up"
* hits X button*
" Oh okay, maybe next time?"

You sir have just won a thousand internets.
Normally if you have to ask, the answer is yes.

However, in this case - hell no. It's a unanimous no from UG.

Go for it.
um...

yes?

but who cares? we all do it. ****it, we're all dicks, myself included.
Just tell em you didn't like the amp afterwards, seems a good enough reason not to buy it
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
I do it quite a bit, but I tend to make it a point to buy at least something from the store when I do. I mean, picks, strings, maybe a cable, or something else like that. Just to show that I give a crap about them.

This is all assuming, of course, that we're talking about local mom-and-pop stores. In GC, just go in and do whatever the hell you feel like, they don't care.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Not as long as you don’t go so apeshit with the tremolo that the guitar needs new strings and a setup after you leave.
My theory is that GC keeps all of the things out there knowing that people will buy lesser priced things if they stay in there longer, so they don't mind. They also profit off of people who feel the need to make up for inconveniencing them. You're not a dick. I stupidly almost bought a Dimebag Wah just because I felt bad that the guy took a while to set it up, and didn't have the balls to say I'm never buying it. Now I would just be honest and say " no, I'm never buying this but thanks for setting it up".

Anyways, you're not hurting anything because the gear is already there. It'll still be there after you're gone. As long as you don't mess it up it won't matter that you ever used it. I think in most situations music store guys wouldn't care.
Last edited by Toniofalcon at Aug 23, 2010,
When I was getting my guitar built I went around trying out all sorts of guitars to get ideas. I told the shopkeep that I was in the market for a new guitar and was probably going to get one built. They then went about trying to convince me to buy one of theirs instead.
The fact that you are in there trying stuff out gives them the opportunity to sell it to you themselves. How could that be being a dick? It's up to them to convince you why theirs is better than any other. Isn't that what a salesman's job is all about? By being in there at least you are giving them a chance.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 23, 2010,
Certainly not!
One day shops will get a clue and start reducing prices in-store so that you don't go elsewhere; I don't see it happening soon though.
404: Sig not found.
Imagine you were selling a car. Would you like it if loads of people knocked on your door, asking to test drive it, (the car not the door!) even though they had no intention of buying the car?
It makes you a bit of a dick tbh, but as long as you dont abuse the stuff, and maybe buy some strings or something then its fine. Just dont go in there every day playing stuff that you have no intention of buying, coz that really does make you a dick.
Quote by minnis
Imagine you were selling a car. Would you like it if loads of people knocked on your door, asking to test drive it, (the car not the door!) even though they had no intention of buying the car?
It makes you a bit of a dick tbh, but as long as you dont abuse the stuff, and maybe buy some strings or something then its fine. Just dont go in there every day playing stuff that you have no intention of buying, coz that really does make you a dick.

Thats not a very good analogy. A person selling a car is a lot different from a shop selling guitar gear, its more like going to a car dealership for a test drive. It doesn't make you a dick to want to try something out, and if someone was planning to buy a car, chances are they would try the one they were going to buy.
Quote by minnis

I have a mixed view on that. If he's in a big store no matter what his presence will be so small that the only reason they'd want him out is if he constantly wrecks stuff or if they hate his face. Or they don't like the fact that he's in the store and not buying anything, but I always saw GCs as somewhat like a magazine stand. You pick up, read, put it down. You might not buy one and you might. Most likely not. Plus, now that they have you in the store you can buy tons of lesser priced items.

I do see the dickish nature in feeling entitled to try out things that you're never going to buy, though. If they tell you to stop, stop, and don't ask questions.
How are you supposed to form a reasonable opinion of something without trying it? Of course there's nothing wrong with it it's "try before you buy" not "Buy before you try"
Quote by minnis

It's a shop - they want people coming through the door so they can try to sell them stuff. The more you go in there the more chance they have of talking you around. Getting people to actually walk into your store is half the battle.
I would NEVER hire you as a salesman.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
When I was getting my guitar built I went around trying out all sorts of guitars to get ideas. I told the shopkeep that I was in the market for a new guitar and was probably going to get one built. They then went about trying to convince me to buy one of theirs instead.
The fact that you are in there trying stuff out gives them the opportunity to sell it to you themselves. How could that be being a dick? It's up to them to convince you why theirs is better than any other. Isn't that what a salesman's job is all about? By being in there at least you are giving them a chance.

I agree 100% with this, because it is true.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
intresting. I now see your points. Im probably going ni to test a DSL and a JVM one day.

thanks for the input!
people go into music stores all the time to try stuff out without the intention buying.

probably at much as half of the people that walk in.

cathbard is right, just getting you in the store is the biggest battle they face as a store.

i've helped a lot of people that were open and told me they were going to buy it used elsewhere. i appreciated their honesty and didn't spend too much time with them, but made sure they got to test what they wanted to. but most sales people probably aren't how i am. i never cared too much about any particular single sale, no reason to in the grand scheme of things.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Any idiot can sell something to a person that is there to buy; the mark of a good salesman is one that can sell things the person had no intention of buying, even more so to sell them something they don't want.
Test their skills. Go in and tell them you want one but will probably buy a used one somewhere else. If they walk away or bitch about it they aren't a salesman's asshole.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

that's the way i look at it- if i try something, there's about a 5% chance i might buy it even if i had no intention of buying it when i went in. if i don't go in, there's a 0% chance. which would they rather have?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Cathbard
It's a shop - they want people coming through the door so they can try to sell them stuff. The more you go in there the more chance they have of talking you around. Getting people to actually walk into your store is half the battle.
I would NEVER hire you as a salesman.

+1

You may never buy that $1300 amp from them, but one day you WILL buy something. You can't go to a music shop daily and not buy stuff there, its just not possible.

That's why the car salesman reference doesn't work; car dealers don't have smaller, more consumable products to offer their customers as well as major purchases like cars.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
plus if they treat you nicely when you're not buying you're more likely to buy from them when you are.

That's why I don't understand they way most music shops treat kids. Sure, they're 16 now and have no money, but they won't be 16 for ever.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
plus if they treat you nicely when you're not buying you're more likely to buy from them when you are.

That's why I don't understand they way most music shops treat kids. Sure, they're 16 now and have no money, but they won't be 16 for ever.

I guess it's because they hire idiots instead of experienced salesmen to save on wages. Typical short term thinking that is prevalent in today's corporate culture that has permeated throughout all of society. Cutting costs in the short term to make the books look better now instead of planning for the long term. You can see it everywhere you look these days.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I guess it's because they hire idiots instead of experienced salesmen to save on wages..

fact.

it's sad when you sell a $2300 guitar and because it's "discounted" the sales guy made $0.13.

so who made the money? the house? the mfg?

not the sales guy, that i can assure you.

^ happened. to me.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
a test booth i havent seen em in the ny gc's there the amps are just laying everywhere pickup a guitar and try em but if u turn the volume up they bitch
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112
Stores set their own policies regarding potential customers testing gear. The store is voluntarily allowing people to try gear without any obligation to buy it. You, as a consumer, are doing nothing wrong at all.

Now, would the store prefer it if you bought the gear from them if you test it at their store. Of course! However, I don't buy this logic at all. A store would prefer that you walk in and hand them a sack of money for this month rent and ask for nothing in return as opposed to giving them money and wanting X piece of gear in return.

The bottom line: Stores set their own policies regarding in store gear use. As long as you follow them you are not "a dick" simply because you decline to satisfy a preference of theirs.
Quote by Cathbard
I guess it's because they hire idiots instead of experienced salesmen to save on wages. Typical short term thinking that is prevalent in today's corporate culture that has permeated throughout all of society. Cutting costs in the short term to make the books look better now instead of planning for the long term. You can see it everywhere you look these days.

agreed 100%
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by TheGreifer
Stores set their own policies regarding potential customers testing gear. The store is voluntarily allowing people to try gear without any obligation to buy it. You, as a consumer, are doing nothing wrong at all.

Now, would the store prefer it if you bought the gear from them if you test it at their store. Of course! However, I don't buy this logic at all. A store would prefer that you walk in and hand them a sack of money for this month rent and ask for nothing in return as opposed to giving them money and wanting X piece of gear in return.

The bottom line: Stores set their own policies regarding in store gear use. As long as you follow them you are not "a dick" simply because you decline to satisfy a preference of theirs.

Well I'd go one further. If the store has a policy of not letting potential customers try out the gear then it is them that are being dicks.
If their policy was that all customers had to give the salesman a blow job that doesn't mean you should do it, huh? You'd tell them to shove their policy up their arse and walk out even if that did mean they thought you were a dick. They aren't doing you any favors by selling you stuff, you are doing them a favor by merely walking in the store. The customer is king.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 23, 2010,
+1
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
F**K YEAH CAPITALISM. Also really there's no reason you shouldn't test out a product like that before you make a large monetary investment.

Always remember caveat emptor - "let the buyer beware."
Quote by Cathbard
Well I'd go one further. If the store has a policy of not letting potential customers try out the gear then it is them that are being dicks.
If their policy was that all customers had to give the salesman a blow job that doesn't mean you should do it, huh? You'd tell them to shove their policy up their arse and walk out even if that did mean they thought you were a dick. They aren't doing you any favors by selling you stuff, you are doing them a favor by merely walking in the store. The customer is king.

Agreed. The reason stores do have policies which allow potential customers try out gear free from obligation is because the stores make more money doing so. Who would buy a guitar from a store that did not allow you to try it out first? In implementing a policy which allows people to try a piece of gear before purchase, the store accepts the inherent risk (if you can call it a risk) that people will try gear and then not buy it.

Edit: Although I must say, a store with a mandatory fellatio policy isn't so much the store being dicks as it is them being horrifically bad business people and dooming themselves to utter failure
Last edited by TheGreifer at Aug 23, 2010,
Page 1 of 2