Alright guys. I recently got a job that I've been going full-time on this summer and plan on continuing part-time during school in an effort to create my own...

Home recording studio!

So far my gear is:

MXL770 Condenser Mic
2 Cheap as **** Dynamic Mic's
PRS SE Paul Allender Custom Guitar
Fender Super Champ Amplifier
Line 6 Uber Metal Distortion Pedal

And tomorrow I'm getting a Zoom R-16 Mixer that comes with Cubase LE-4.

My Questions are...

1)Will a drum machine program, such as EzDrummer or Steven Slate, work with Cubase?

2) With my current set-up will I be able to record vocals and guitar with decent sound?

3) What else do I need to really begin the recording process?

Thanks to anyone who can answer my questions
1: It should work fine
2: I personally hate the Uber Metal but if you like it then you may be able to pull something off. My advice: Buy a Shure SM57. That's pretty much the standard for micing amps.

3: Oh boy, where do I even begin...

I worked at a studio this summer and I picked up a few things. IIRC the setup that studio had was:
Mac pro ($2500 minimum)
Yamaha DM2000 48 Channel Digital Mixer (around $25,000)
A whole lot of pro tools stuff (My guess is around $30,000)
A bunch of rack equipment (My guess $2000)
Custom built monitors
Soundproof rooms
Custom built desk

You get the idea. Luckily you don't need most of that, but I'm trying to give you an idea of why it's hard to have a good home studio. Now for my suggestions:

You'll need an SM57 or two, a DI box (do some research on this), and some monitors (I've heard good things about the M-Audio Studiophile series). You'll also need a few XLR cables which I'm assuming you have. Brush up on mic placement and double tracking and you'll be set to record decent sounding tracks.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
I'm about to buy some stuff too and from what I asked, EZ drummer will work with cubase. He said you open it in a seperate window but are then able to create or choose loops that you can then drag and drop into cubase.

Monitors are good to have but depending on how serious you are right now you could wait and just use your regular PC speakers, assuming they are atlest decent.

You might want to consider getting a midi keyboard if you wan't to add some other tracks to your songs. I'm getting the M-audio Oxygen 49, cheap but with some features that will make it easy to work with.

Ah! Depending on your room you might want to do some cheapo "soundproofing" by hanging up some regular bedsheets on the wall and have a comfortable carpet on the floor!
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Last edited by backtothe70s at Aug 23, 2010,
Monitors are the next thing on my list.

The Uber Metal isn't a horrible pedal, it just takes a LOT of time to find a good setting. The "Insane" setting on that thing sounds like shit so I use "Pulverize" and get a sorta thrash metal crunch. I don't mind the sound, it's pretty decent.

As for the Shure's, I'm planning on buying a bunch once I have moniters. For now I believe I'm gonna record direct and use Impulses on my guitar tone.

I have an ACTUAL keyboard in my room and I guess I forgot to ask this...

Will I be able to use my actual keyboard as a Midi keyboard as well? It does have MIDI Out and In plugins on the back.
if the soundcard you get has midi inputs and the cables for it then yes =)
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Here is what I suggest everyone gets to at least start recording and mixing.

- Monitors - don't cheap out on them either...
- Mics, cables, and stands - The Shure SM57 and 58 are good starts but a LD condenser is good to have around as well.
- An audio interface - Choose one that fits your needs both now and in the future.
- Software - There are plenty of choices out there for mixing and recording, I personally like Audition and Sonar.
- VSTs - Superior Drummer and others make great sounds however you won't get that true drummer feel if you don't hook up a set of E-drums and have a drummer actually play/record the timing of those midi notes.

Yes you can use the keyboards MIDI output to trigger software VSTIs...you'll just need a MIDI interface such as the M-Audio Midisport

Edit - you don't need an expensive Mac Pro just to record, I and others have been using PCs for years......they both get the job done. Pick the system you enjoy working with and have worked with the most as you know how it all works and can tweak it to your taste.
Last edited by moody07747 at Aug 23, 2010,