I am working on getting a nice guitar rig set up. I play music ranging from metalcore type stuff to punk rock, to "dust in the wind" clean type stuff, so i like having options. I have a marshall hdfx LE white head, cab, and am about to buy another cab (probably the same type, MG412a or MG412b). I know that hdfx's are not the most reliable but i do enjoy the sound i get out of it, when it comes to the harder stuff. I was told before that maybe something like a smaller wattage bass amp or power amp (75-100 watts) i could get a much nicer, crisp clean sound. The cabs are rated at 120 watt, 8 ohms. If this would work, ill probably get like a headbone to run both amps through the same full stack.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Well I was going to come in and talk about Bassmans and the like but given that you like the sound of an MG I think a discussion about tone would be moot.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
playing through a bass amp will get you NO distortion. Like none. so you'll need a pedal for that. also the EQ section isn't really set up for a guitar and it makes fiddlin with your highs kinda hard. a good distortion pedal could fix these problems though.
no sir away a papaya war is on
just to say, before people start talking sound, effects, etc, i use about 15 pedals and a multi effects pedal, so whatever an amp has built in does not really matter to me one bit. If I was using built in effects i wouldnt be using an hdfx.

So really im just trying to figure out if i can get something that can give me just nice clean sounds. Id really prefer to just get a crate powerblock or something simple (calibur 22?) but i dont know if the calibur 22 would be loud enough and getting my hands on a powerblock has become a challenge.
Last edited by ginpa at Aug 23, 2010,
Quote by Cathbard
Well I was going to come in and talk about Bassmans and the like but given that you like the sound of an MG I think a discussion about tone would be moot.

wasn't the MG a direct descendant of the 5F6-A... ... it says marshall...

kurt cobain used power amps for guitar amps at time (but mind you, you'll need more of a dedicated preamp when using power amps). josh holmes used bass heads in kyuss (common cath we're on the same page with kyuss right, ROCK ON!)

but the reason most people use guitar amps is cuz it's easier to get a good tone out of gear designed for guitar
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Sure Gumbi, a bass amp can sound great (SRV, Kyuss) but how does one talk about great tone when the reference point is an MG? That's like discussing the nuances of different wines with somebody that is happy to drink possum piss.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Sure Gumbi, a bass amp can sound great (SRV, Kyuss) but how does one talk about great tone when the reference point is an MG? That's like discussing the nuances of different wines with somebody that is happy to drink possum piss.

lets talk wine, i like Thunderbird. what are the defining characteristics in grapes pertinent to a vintner in selection?

what do you think we can do for him then? i say let him use a radio shack bass amp, he'll learn something by going back to the basics
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Eh I changed my mind ill probably just go buy a night train.