Hey guys, not sure if this is in the right place, but im slightly concerned...

Ive got a college interview on Thursday, and theyre wanting a theory test, scales, chords, "rudiments" and for me to play a piece, i think im just gonna do a rockschool thing for that, but im not sure what they'll want for the rest of the sections?
My Band (As Faith Fades)

Quote by steven seagull
Elitist bollocks like this makes me want to vomit. You're so far up your own arse you could lick your own tonsils.
what kind of course is it?

Basic Harmony - chord construction

Melody stuff, major scales in every key etc. etc.

Aural, so being able to recognise intervals, chords

The piece would really hang on what kind of course it is - jazz, classical, contemporary. I'd say, if it was contemporary to do a modern jazz piece or fusion piece
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
1. Get drunk
2. play pentatonic scales fast
3. throw in some divebombs and pinch harmonics
4. Get killed onstage
5. become legendary guitarist instantaneously

Quote by Holy Katana

How dare you attack the greatness of the augmented sixth?
Wow, it's only on thursday and you've left it so late.

As you probably know, you can call the school and ask for details on particulars. I highly encourage you to do so.

Good luck.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
wow i never noticed it was on thursday - i skimmed it

yeah you should probably not sleep and cram that shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
1. Get drunk
4. Get killed onstage

Quote by Holy Katana

yeahhh, the course was kinda a last minute thing, but i'm really worried, because all i know about theory and stuff is what i was taught in guitar lessons, i'm kinda cramming a major, minor, and both pentatonics in, so i can play them in each key, but other than that, i'm kinda lost.
My Band (As Faith Fades)

Quote by steven seagull
Elitist bollocks like this makes me want to vomit. You're so far up your own arse you could lick your own tonsils.
Never mind the fact that your audition piece you have picked out is almost guaranteed to be inappropriate.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
No matter the course, a groovy jazz standard will always go down well

Straight No chaser, Bessies blues, Red Clay, So What, All Blues etc. etc. look up a few
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
1. Get drunk
4. Get killed onstage

Quote by Holy Katana

Never mind the fact that your audition piece you have picked out is almost guaranteed to be inappropriate.

CT

thats not necesarily true, if he's applying to a school with a contemporary program he should be fine. if he's applying to a classical or jazz program, hes screwed (though if hes very very good, a jazz professor may or may not take pity on his soul).

No matter the course, a groovy jazz standard will always go down well

Straight No chaser, Bessies blues, Red Clay, So What, All Blues etc. etc. look up a few

at a jazz audition, most of those tunes would not go over well (the blues's would probably be ok if you used great vocabulary and phrasing, really brought out the sound of the changes and played some other songs in your program that showed technique/skill with more complex changes/longer forms). moreover, if you are not a skilled jazz player but you are a skilled rock player and you are trying out for a program where both are accepted (a place like Berklee, Belmont, ACM, SUNY New Paltz's, USC"s or Miami's contemporary program) it would be to your advantage not to bother playing a jazz tune mediocrily, there are tons of much better jazz players auditioning with better knowledge of the vocabulary.

if the school is ok with you playing your rockschool stuff (meaning it is a non traditional program) then go for it. if your applying to a classical or jazz program, you have as good a chance getting in with that stuff as you do trying to fit the years of practice required into a few weeks (extremely unlikely, but not worth ruling out entirely).
well its a BA in popular music at perth college, so i was assuming a rockschool piece would be appropriate? :/
My Band (As Faith Fades)

Quote by steven seagull
Okay, maybe. Waiting until the week of the audition to find out what you should play for your audition is just a bad sign in general. Asking us before asking them is also a bad sign.

You should contact them directly and find out what their expectations are.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by xGeekers
well its a BA in popular music

Forgive me for being daft, but what's a Bachelor of Arts in Popular Music?
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Forgive me for being daft, but what's a Bachelor of Arts in Popular Music?

a step up from an HND in the same course?

anyways, yeah...i'm hoping i've got enough behind me with my higher music to get in, if not, i know exactly what i need to do for next year...
My Band (As Faith Fades)

Quote by steven seagull
Quote by xGeekers
a step up from an HND in the same course?

Yeah, it's just that there's usually a Bachelor of Arts, or a Bachelor of Music.

Could I see the link to the course please?
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah, it's just that there's usually a Bachelor of Arts, or a Bachelor of Music.

Could I see the link to the course please?

sure thing i'll find it for ya

*pause for searching*

k, the websites being a mahoosive ghey, i'll post the link in the morning
My Band (As Faith Fades)

Quote by steven seagull
The two courses in popular music I've been looking into for next year (or the year after as seems more likely as I need to know a lot more theory) requires a lot more than what you seem to be prepared for (unless they have a lot laxer standards).

One requires theory grade 5 (which is a bitch, my drummer's a theory demon and it raped him apparently) as well as grade 8 in the instrument and all sorts of other stuff, and an audition which would include a test of your knowledge assumably.
The other doesn't require theory 5 but does require grade 8 in performance as the other one does, 2 A-C A-levels (not music related but still, this'll be annoying for me I think v_v), though the audition seems to be the biggest part, it shows your theory, performance, improv and (the scariest thing for me) sight-reading skills.

I dunno how Perth operates, but if it's anything like the ones I've been looking at...you better start heavily practicing!

But to actually help, definitely look over harmonising scales, intervals (assuming you'll have a bit of an ear test in the audition maybe?), building chords, well as much theory as you know/can learn (if you don't know all that much).
And definitely for the piece you play, try to find a fusion piece or something that you'll be able to nail in the next few days which isn't too heavy on your mind (as you need to learn it in the next few days!) but still impressive in the technique department (though obviously keep it tasteful, a Malmsteen piece may make them scoff!), I'm not sure if they're expecting Improv but if they are I suggest keeping it simple yet effective. Practice over some simple progressions and backings (II-V-Is, jazz standards, etc) make sure you can solo over chord changes well.

I apologise if I've thought you're going for a more complicated course than I appear to think and have worried you, if not, I wish you the best of luck as what you're attempting (if it's what I think it is) is very brave!
turns out the fuss was for nothing, cause it's the last batch of auditions, i copped it lucky, basically just told her that i knew next to nothing about theory, played my piece, some chords, couple of scales, and got in, i start on monday, but i should very much like the thank you guys fr giving me a sign of where to start (:
My Band (As Faith Fades)

Quote by steven seagull
Congrats!

CT

Congradulations!
Just wondering TS, what country do you live in? In the USA, after an audition in front of a (usually stone faced) comittee, you are told you can go, and then get to wait anywhere between several weeks and several months of the decision (not to mention any scholarships/aid to help defray the HUGE cost), and then wait much longer to pick a school, and then several more months before you actually attend.