Page 1 of 3
This question is probably asked many times, but are they that bad as people say? I am going to get another amplifier soon and don't know if I should get a tube or solid state amp. My budget is about 500 dollars and I'm thinking of a Marshall MG Half Stack, but with all these negative reviews I am pretty lost. I am looking for an amp for gigging at small venues. If I get solid states I am not going to use the distortion, I have a MI Audio Crunch Box to replace any MG's crappy distortion, because I tried them at Guitar Center. Please help?

Whackaweed
Last edited by Whackaweed at Aug 23, 2010,
i wonder if this thread will be closed by the time i post?

edit: cool, that means i can actually respond.

no, SS amps lend them selves to cheaper manufacturing though. so while all solid state amps are not cheap, most cheap amps are solid state... and there are very few good solid states.

why are there few good SS? cuz they don't quite sound the same as tube amps, and most guitarists prefer the response of tube amps.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Aug 23, 2010,
The bad SS amps are bad, OP. Not all solid state amps are.

The Marshall MG is one of the bad SS amps. For $500 you could get a great tube amp, like the Bugera V55 or a used Fender HRD, and run it with your Crunch Box. The Marshall's clean sucks too, just slightly less than its distortion.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
they aren't that bad in general, however tube amps sound so much better. 4xmpl, Dimebag Darell used solid state head too. Problem aren't solid states themselves, but the crappy MG series.

If you wanna go clean, try get a used Fender or something, they have awesome clean sound (tube amp if you can, but they're pricey). Look around the shop a bit, I'm sure you'll find something good.
Marshall MG15DFX
Line 6 Spider III
Squier Strat Standard
Ibanez RG350EX
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Signature Wah
for example: Acoustic, Roland, and Music Man are just a couple companies that put out high end solid state amps.

-ae
In general yes, they are that bad. There are some exceptions for specific styles but the MG is one of the worst, it displays all the things that people dislike about SS amps in spades. If you have $500 you should be able to pick up a nice used amp instead.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by gumbilicious
for example: Acoustic, Roland, and Music Man are just a couple companies that put out high end solid state amps.

yes as my cube 60 rapes everything

Ibanez S670FM
Ibanez Masa SX60
Roland Cube 60
CryBaby GCB 95
Ibanez GSR180 Bass

♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
Quote by MoshMaster

The Cube 60 isn't the Roland he was talking about.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Roland had a real nice jazz chorus, it was pretty sweet, we got one around somewhere...

-ae
Quote by MoshMaster

So your crappy little Cube rapes an SLO or a Mark V or a Bluesbreaker does it?
He was obviously talking about the JC. I think you need to get your ears checked.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
also, SS doesn't inherently mean bad quality, it is just not an overly popular match for most guitarist because of performances differences.

there are plenty of high quality HiFi, PA, and recording preamps and power amps. you can end up paying a couple thousand just for 1 or 2 preamps in a rack mount, or a real nice power amp.

-ae
maybe im a total n00b, but i get WICKED metal tones from my MG half stack
no distortion pedal, or nothing just straight into the amp and i get (what i think is) a totally crushing tone.
btw i use a esp/ltd m-50 with an EMG 81
Quote by ERICtheBERIC
no distortion pedal, or nothing just straight into the amp and i get (what i think is) a totally crushing tone.

If you are talking literally I'd have to believe you.

wick·ed
adjective, -er, -est, adverb
–adjective
evil or morally bad in principle or practice; sinful; iniquitous: wicked people; wicked habits.
mischievous or playfully malicious: These wicked kittens upset everything.
distressingly severe, as a storm, wound, or cold: a wicked winter.
unjustifiable; dreadful; beastly: wicked prices; a wicked exam.
having a bad disposition; ill-natured; mean: a wicked horse.
spiteful; malevolent; vicious: a wicked tongue.
extremely troublesome or dangerous: wicked roads.
unpleasant; foul: a wicked odor.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by ERICtheBERIC

I get CRUSHING OVERDRIVE from a tincan and a rubber band
Quote by ERICtheBERIC

My issues with Solid State are:
-Doesn't have the same response as a tube amp (personal preference)
-Sounds really nasty when it breaks up (bad)
-Tends to be muddy or shrill (bad)
There are exceptions. They are rare. IIRC the Marshall Mode 4 is solid state and Alex Skolnick uses it.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Eric, give it time and you'll see.

TS, what styles are you looking to play? because pretty much if its distorted you'll want a valve amp, unless its like, crazy metal like pantera for example. The valve amps have a much nicer distortion, but at the sacrifice of their cleans. most don't stay too clean very long. They are totally passable, but if you want ultimate cleans at loud volumes you're better off with an SS. So just weigh it up i guess, but make sure you try out loads first, because thats how your mind really gets opened

TM
Holy crap, that was a lot of replies.

Well, how does the Fender Hot Rod sound? I play hard rock. Think of EVH's sound with more roar than a sizzle. I have lots of mids.
Quote by Whackaweed
Holy crap, that was a lot of replies.

Well, how does the Fender Hot Rod sound? I play hard rock. Think of EVH's sound with more roar than a sizzle. I have lots of mids.

You're not going to sound like EVH with the Fender HRD, really, but you will sound good if you use the Crunch Box for distortion. The HRD's distortion is kinda crappy but it has good cleans.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
No, not all ss amps are bad. The one you are looking at is. A crap amp with a good distortion pedal in front of it still sounds like crap. There hardly are any mid-priced ss amps anymore - only cheapish beginner stuff and very high-end models. With a budget of $500, you should definitely look at tube amps.

Quote by ERICtheBERIC

Jesus shit kid, just...

My God, I don't know what to say. The only thing that could make this funnier would be an MT-2. Or maybe Dimebuckers.

Basically, you are playing through an atrocity of an amp with a pickup that really needs a good, preferably tube amp to sound good. No offense, but if you think that is a good tone, you need to try a lot of different stuff.

Also:

CRUSHING OVAHDRIIIIIIIIIVE!!!
If you're one of those guys who go for a more pedal-oriented fuzz sound, a Roland JC120 (solid state) does absolute wonders.
I love my solid state Whatever you do, try it out first
❒ Taken ❒ Single ✔ Would like a sandwich

Vereor Deus

Quote by dann_blood
Branding!?!? THAT'S TOO PROGRESSIVE! I say bring back settlement payments in weights of lead and impalement upon wooden stakes!

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Oh! Sorry, I thought that was a braille name tag.
Quote by TheQuailman
No, not all ss amps are bad. The one you are looking at is. A crap amp with a good distortion pedal in front of it still sounds like crap. There hardly are any mid-priced ss amps anymore - only cheapish beginner stuff and very high-end models. With a budget of $500, you should definitely look at tube amps.

Jesus shit kid, just...

My God, I don't know what to say. The only thing that could make this funnier would be an MT-2. Or maybe Dimebuckers.

Basically, you are playing through an atrocity of an amp with a pickup that really needs a good, preferably tube amp to sound good. No offense, but if you think that is a good tone, you need to try a lot of different stuff.

Also:

I dunno i've heard some pretty brutal toanz from an MG with one of these bad boys in front

Quote by TheQuailman

Jesus shit kid, just...

Also:

hahahahaha i have one of those too
Quote by ERICtheBERIC
hahahahaha i have one of those too

This thread is awesome.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Of course what he means by crushing overdrive is that you take it home expecting Marshall overdrive only to have those expectations crushed.
Either that or Zak's talking about having his legs crushed by the weight of his wallet for endorsing such a pos.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Of course what he means by crushing overdrive is that you take it home expecting Marshall overdrive only to have those expectations crushed.

Sigged
TS, if you want an EVH like tone look for a 5150/6505. You know what tone you want so get the amp used to get that tone in the first place. Why are you screwing around trying to make inappropriate amps sound like an amp that is easy to obtain cheaply?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
All SS amps sound like thin, harsh, un-resonant, shite. Like they have a big wet blanket over the speaker. I know, because I have a SS amp myself. I am planning to upgrade to a valve amp soon.

I'd suggest waiting till you have more cash and then get a 6505/5150, Engl, or a Marshall half stack. They sound amazing compared to shite MG stack.
Quote by Trve_Satan
All SS amps sound like thin, harsh, un-resonant, shite. Like they have a big wet blanket over the speaker. I know, because I have a SS amp myself. I am planning to upgrade to a valve amp soon.
Holy logical fallacy Batman!

There are shit tube amps too. Are you going to infer from that information that all tube amps are shit?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Trve_Satan

I'd suggest waiting till you have more cash and then get a 6505/5150, Engl, or a Marshall half stack. They sound amazing compared to shite MG stack.

Lol, a line 6 spider IV is hardly the amp to judge the quality of all SS amps from. Not to mention the fact its digital anyway...
I've owned a marshall valvestate 8100(I think) and I looking back on it now it blew.I hated it.I'd go into shops and ask like a retard why every pedal I bought sounded like crap now I know it was just the amp...hahaha
I have a crappy peavy bandit combo amp I keep next to my cpu I use to hook my metronome to and practice my scales and licks but other than that's its a hunk of poop lol
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Quote by Trve_Satan

Trve_Satan has 5 pieces of equipment:

Dean: ML 79

Squier: Affinity Telecaster

Ibanez: RG1570 Prestige

Line 6: Spider IV 75

Squier: Dreadnought Acoustic

I hope to god you're not basing all your facts off that amp..
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Quote by Adam124
I hope to god you're not basing all your facts off that amp..
Well, he obviously is.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by AxSilentxLine
I dunno i've heard some pretty brutal toanz from an MG with one of these bad boys in front

TS, there are plenty of good SS amps. The MG is not one of them.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by ERICtheBERIC

I'll stick up for you. Mg's have such a bad reputation. For there price you'll struggle to find anything that will be as gig worthy as it is. Its well built too, and sure the sound obviously isn't going to be anywhere near as good as a tube amp or other SS amp, but most of these will be 2 or 3 times its price, but hey you get what you pay for and its a pretty good amp just to do some smaller gigs with. The newer Mg models also have much better effects than the original one that alot of people grew to hate and sounds a lot better too.
Quote by oneblackened
TS, there are plenty of good SS amps.

Name five.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Samhaynes
I'll stick up for you. Mg's have such a bad reputation. For there price you'll struggle to find anything that will be as gig worthy as it is. Its well built too, and sure the sound obviously isn't going to be anywhere near as good as a tube amp or other SS amp, but most of these will be 2 or 3 times its price, but hey you get what you pay for and its a pretty good amp just to do some smaller gigs with. The newer Mg models also have much better effects than the original one that alot of people grew to hate and sounds a lot better too.
Which MG are you talking about? If it's the big ones, you can get a much better amp for the same price.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Ampeg VH104 - best of the bunch but not very good dynamics and a bit harsh.
Line 6 Vetta - ok but falls short of a decent valve amp - esp in the dynamics department. Is a modeller too, not just a SS. (I know, I know, it's still SS)
Line 6 HD147 - no experience with that one
Roland JC - good if you don't want any distortion or dynamics. Good for that lifeless Jazz tone. But I'll pay that one.
Peavey Vyper - another modeller and certainly not as good as a valve amp by a long shot.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification