Sorry for the awful pun...

I just recieved my Shure SM57 from ebay today. I was checking to see that it wasn't fake (I read a scary ebay article) by unscrewing all the bits. I unscrewed the top part with the metal grill and 2 red wires have popped out. Obviously no sound now... anyone know how to fix this??

Thanks!
Gibson SG Standard
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Bugera 333xl
Boss ge-7 EQ
i guess a fake SM57 is better than no mic . you should've compared the sound quality with a real one. and i you couldn't spot a difference, who the hell would've ?
http://yfrog.com/bh48850928j
http://yfrog.com/mxbarrelnj
http://yfrog.com/na31584949j

sorry for the poor quality- they're the best I could muster

it doesn't seem that I can just pop them back in- as the head of the mic screws into the barrel (?) the wires would just spin round, so I don't know HOW they'd be connected!
Gibson SG Standard
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Bugera 333xl
Boss ge-7 EQ
A Shure SM57 does not have red wires, and the wires usually don't break when you unscrew it. A fake sm57 will tho. Hopefully you didn't pay too much for it. I would go have a little chat with the person that sold it to you.

When you solder the wires back on, make sure you wire them in the correct phase.

Just wire them back.
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
There's an issue in terms of wiring them back- there are two little holes in the plastic inside the body (as shown in one of the pictures above, though very badly), so how do i go about doing that? The wires will pop out when I screw the head back in anyway
Gibson SG Standard
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Bugera 333xl
Boss ge-7 EQ
You can't solder them back on? Looks like you'll have to take the capsule apart.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Last edited by Kanthras at Aug 23, 2010,
I didn't even know that you could unscrew an SM57 that way, so that may have caused the break. They unscrew at the point shown in this picture.

Also you mention red wires? Real SM57s don't have red wires so that points towards it being a fake. All the fakes I have dealt with have had pretty bad soldering jobs too which may be why the wire came loose.

What else did you get in the box with the mic when you bought it?

As for fixing it the only way would be to re-solder the connections.
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
In the box I got a warranty, a shure sticker, a shure velcro wrap thing, a register online card, an 'addendum' with japanese/chinese looking characters, a microphibe clip to connect it to a stand, a Shure mic pouch, and a Shure SM57 user's guide.

You guys think I've been bent over by the guy??
Gibson SG Standard
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Bugera 333xl
Boss ge-7 EQ
Last edited by Cytagasm at Aug 23, 2010,
lol wow and the green wire inside just fell off rather easily after handling it...
Gibson SG Standard
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Bugera 333xl
Boss ge-7 EQ
Nevermind turns out that there ARE red wires in the bit that you opened and you have all the right bits and pieces. Sounds real to me!

It's an easy fix, just some soldering.
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain