I really wanna get this technique down but I'm having massive difficulty with it. I've been trying them for months and haven't been able to do them. I can occasionally but they're usually weak and I can't do them on command very often. Any tips, sites, videos etc that might be helpful? How long did it take for you to get them down?
Add a bit more distortion and up the treble.

^ That'll make it easier to begin with

Also each string has a pinch point where if you pick it at that point the pincher harmonic will sound best, so just play up and down the string with your picking hand whilst fretting either fret 5 or 7 until you get a nice pinch.

Just practice them often as well, they'll get easier the more you practice

Hope that helps a bit,

Adam.
Months?? That's strange. Maybe your pick-ups are too weak and you're playing on low drive? I couldn't do harmonics until I got new guitar with better pick-ups. But basically you just need more drive, the stronger the signal the better it sounds for harmonics.
what amp do you have, i know i cant do pinch harmonics on my rage 158 15 watt amp but i can on my vypyr 30 watt
me playing malmsteem

Quote by Kivarenn82
just tell him "no chick is gonna lay you if you serenade her with a playstation controller"
I've got an Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty Custom going through a Boss DS-1 into a Fender Frontman 212R (I know )

So, treble up and gain up yeah? I'm using relatively small picks too, Jim Dunlop Jazz iii's so there's not much pick stick out if you know what I mean?
Yeah man, just boost your gain and treble. It will make it easier.

Also pinch harmonics are easier on thinner gauge strings, so maybe fitting some .09's on your LP may help
I usually have settings as follows: Treble 7.5, Mids ~5 and Bass around 7. I roll the tone knob all the way off. I'm using David Gilmour GHS Boomers 10.5 - 50.
Quote by vidieowiz4
what amp do you have, i know i cant do pinch harmonics on my rage 158 15 watt amp but i can on my vypyr 30 watt

Its easy on every dirty channel of the vypyr..
my problem with pinch harmonics is that on the lower fret such as 2 til 7 they are relatively easy but on anything high such as frets 10+ its really ****ing hard and rare.
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
I play in a deathcore band so my settings may not be great for you, but I'll post anyway

Amp: Line 6 LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL (flame away)

Compression: 7
Gain- 7.5
Bass- 8
Mids- 4.9
Treble- 7
Channel Volume- 10

I'm running a Jackson DKMG with EMG 81/85's through it.
SO metal

Maybe some beefier pickups may help you but I can do pinchers on a Strat so that may not be the best solution.
Quote by leg end
I've got an Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty Custom going through a Boss DS-1 into a Fender Frontman 212R (I know )

So, treble up and gain up yeah? I'm using relatively small picks too, Jim Dunlop Jazz iii's so there's not much pick stick out if you know what I mean?

Those are the same picks I use, and I find that, the smaller the better for pinching..with it being smaller, you don´t have to move your wrist to much for your thumb to touch the string
Make sure you aren't using your rhythm pickup. I always use the treble pickup, and lots of gain helps. I find that the sweet spot for almost all the strings is right behind the active pickup (in this case, the treble (neck) pickup). However, it can (and probably does) vary.

Good luck!
KLH & KGB
11/28/09
Last edited by KGB_INC at Aug 23, 2010,
These tips are definitely helping. I just pulled a really strong and confident sounding one! Thanks guys
Bridge Pickup!!!!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Didn't take very long to figure them out. The position of the pick relative to the thumb is crucial. In fact, I can also do upstroke pinch harmonics, which also sound cool.

Not to brag, but one of my fairly new students was asking about them at his last lesson. Within about 5 to 10 minutes, I had him doing pinch harmonics. He didn't have them mastered by the end of the lesson, but he could do them.
You say you have the tone knob all the way down, try boosting it a little because it controls your guitar's frequency range (as in what you hear through the amp) so if you're restricting those then you may be choking your pinches by accident.
Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?

http://www.youtube.com/user/Joeseffel

Quote by smcstoronto1234

So very true...
Quote by WarriorArtist94
You say you have the tone knob all the way down, try boosting it a little because it controls your guitar's frequency range (as in what you hear through the amp) so if you're restricting those then you may be choking your pinches by accident.

Exactly what I was going to say,you may like the sound of the tone rolled off but its gonna be near impossible to make PH jump out like that.The first thing I do when I get a new guitar is disconect the tone controls,this also gives your volume pot alittle more resistence to you get alittle more hotter sound.you don't have to go to this extreme but its an idea,you can always use a wah as your tone filter,...and maybe try using a heavier pick also...Ive always used 1.4 dunlop picks they seem to jump off fine,and I'm using strats with single coils lol

Keep at it bro and listen to some whitesnake/self titiled and ozzy/ no more tears for inspiration lol
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Last edited by rdobson2 at Aug 23, 2010,