What's the best way to save batteries life when the effects are not in use?

Would the battery need to be fully removed from the pedal after each session, or is it sufficient to pull the guitar chord out (thus leaving the battery in)?

Thanks
Forget the batteries completely. Buy an adapter and use it. I have the 1 Spot, which works great.
Quote by KG6_Steven
Forget the batteries completely. Buy an adapter and use it.

QFT
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by beckyjc
Just remove the cable from the pedal input. Itll cut the power from the battery off.

Thanks. So would this be equivalent to having the battery disconnected altogether?
The only advantage of a 9V battery in an effects pedal these days is you have one less wire running across the floor to your pedal area (extension cord).

I just bought the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2+, and yes, it is expensive, but think of what you spend every year on 9V batteries.

A decent 9v Duracell battery runs roughly $5. let's say you have only 3 pedals, like I do. An OD, a Wah, and a Tuner. $5 X 3 = $15, naturally.

Let's say you gig regularly, oh, twice a week. These gigs are 2 and four hours, so you have to have fresh batteries every show. There are 52 weeks in a year. 52 X 2 is 104.

So 104 shows, at $15 in batteries every show is $1,560. At the end of the year, you just bought a brand new Marshall JVM205H from Musician's Friend with a couple hundred to spare on a tech to mod it and make it sound worth a damn.

The retail of the Pedal Power 2+ is $239. Street price is around $170-190.

5 Year Warranty on it, as well. What's just as awesome? The 2+ powers Line6 Modeling pedals, and has two SAG outputs with adjustable voltage to mimic a drained battery.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
I really need to invest in a decent power adapter, I don't wanna spend hundreds on oen, but I'd like one that's not a pile of poo.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by FuzzLove
I really need to invest in a decent power adapter, I don't wanna spend hundreds on oen, but I'd like one that's not a pile of poo.

Check out the Dunlop DC Brick. Can be had for little over $100, I believe.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Quote by ConfederateAxe
Check out the Dunlop DC Brick. Can be had for little over $100, I believe.

In that case, you'd better buy a 1Spot for $30, which is basically the same as a DC Brick without a nice case to house it.

But, I have a 1Spot, but still use a battery for my fuzz.
Fuel Tank Jr. is also a great option, same price as the dc brick.

I used to use batteries for my LBM but I have a voltage sag I built now. Cool little device, cost me ~$5 to make. Here's a link if anyone's interested, http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/DBS/
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
The 1 Spot daisy chain is a POS. I've gone through 3 and each one has broken after a handful of shows. Those small daisy chain cables are just not made to withstand being jumped/stepped on while on stage. The 1 Spot power adapter itself is alright, I guess.
^You arent supposed to step/jump on them. You're not meant to step on any cables. Obviously they arent going to withstand that its wire not carbon fibre.

Tuck them behind your pedals.

Thanks. So would this be equivalent to having the battery disconnected altogether?

Yes
Quote by beckyjc
^You arent supposed to step/jump on them. You're not meant to step on any cables. Obviously they arent going to withstand that its wire not carbon fibre.

Tuck them behind your pedals.

Yes

If you're standing so still on stage that you don't ever step on cables, you're doing it wrong. Daisy chains are messy, annoying and cheaply made.
Last edited by drewfromutah at Aug 23, 2010,
Sure i stand on my guitar cables from time to time, but i usually wrap them around the strap to keep them as out of way as possible. All my cables on my pedal board are tucked away neatly.

If you're jumping up and down on your pedal board you are doing something very wrong. As in, breaking pedals. I like my gear working.

Cheaply made? The little cables that come off the powerbricks arent any better. Theyre the same principle.
Last edited by beckyjc at Aug 23, 2010,
1 spot sounds interesting, I'll check that out.

Personally, I prefer fuzz with a fresh battery sound.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by beckyjc
Sure i stand on my guitar cables from time to time, but i usually wrap them around the strap to keep them as out of way as possible. All my cables on my pedal board are tucked away neatly.

If you're jumping up and down on your pedal board you are doing something very wrong. As in, breaking pedals. I like my gear working.

Cheaply made? The little cables that come off the powerbricks arent any better. Theyre the same principle.

The end of the 1 Spot daisy chain that connectors to the 1 Spot power adapter cable is the part that's extremely flimsy and, because that part is often on the floor and not on the pedal board, is liable to get stepped on. The little cables coming out of the power brick are still flimsy but they're not going to take as much of a beating.
Last edited by drewfromutah at Aug 23, 2010,
Then stick that bit on your pedal board somewhere under some tape/velcro. The one spot has a 10 foot cable. So im sure itd reach your outlet.

Ive done it with my daisy chain.
My problem is I got pedals of different brands that need different adapters,,,,I can't find one for my dod250 so I can't velcro it down to the board which has led to a few bad expieriences like hurling it threw the air while doing a spin lol
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Quote by rdobson2
My problem is I got pedals of different brands that need different adapters,,,,I can't find one for my dod250 so I can't velcro it down to the board which has led to a few bad expieriences like hurling it threw the air while doing a spin lol

Arent they 1/8" plugs?

Yeah theyre pretty commonly made. Theyre used for the bigger/older EHX pedals too. One spot make one.

The OneSpot is no more of a POS than the DC brick, which I bet would break if you jumped on it too.

Drew, it sounds to me like your board has a design flaw.

But yeah, adapters >>>>>>>> batteries.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by beckyjc
Arent they 1/8" plugs?

Yeah theyre pretty commonly made. Theyre used for the bigger/older EHX pedals too. One spot make one.

Thanks man I'll look at guitar center next time I go...I've just never saw any daisy chain attachment other than the boss/ibanez style

Quote by drewfromutah
If you're standing so still on stage that you don't ever step on cables, you're doing it wrong.

I'd rather go to a show where the band practically stands perfectly still, but plays an amazing show and set list, over a band that runs around and jumps everywhere, but the music they're trying to play suffers for this.
Go to a TOOL concert. Adam Jones pretty much stands still in a few different spots, looking down at his hands and they're the best band I've ever heard live. Maynard used to be petrified on stage, so he would almost stand perfectly still (he's gotten a bit better now), but his singing is amazing.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Koshman32
I'd rather go to a show where the band practically stands perfectly still, but plays an amazing show and set list, over a band that runs around and jumps everywhere, but the music they're trying to play suffers for this.
Go to a TOOL concert. Adam Jones pretty much stands still in a few different spots, looking down at his hands and they're the best band I've ever heard live. Maynard used to be petrified on stage, so he would almost stand perfectly still (he's gotten a bit better now), but his singing is amazing.

It's not hard to move around and be crazy and still play very well. Watch The Fall of Troy or Dillinger Escape Plan as an example. I much prefer seeing a band get into it and actually have fun.
This argument is doomed to fail...

Well, when bands jump around headbanging and playing with their teeth etc. they look pretty gay.

Standing in one place headbanging is metulz though.