Could somebody please tell me the type of picking he uses?

Im talking about the main riff, mainly the fast acending chops, I know the riff is palm muted therefore is probably alternative picking, but before I spend days trying to get up to speed I would appreciate a definite technique.

Thanks alot in advance
Paul probably does alternate picking.
Economy picking also works (and is alot easier- I do it for the descending parts)
And hammer ons are also good for it.

I just use all 3 to my liking. You don't have to play everything THE SAME as someone else.

So just experiment each one. obviously the hammer-ons are easier.. but might not sound as good. But for the last fast ascending fit (about the 9th fret i believe) hammer on's work wonderfully for that bit.

Experiment... and your own thang.

Toodles!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Alternate picking, starting on an upstroke. Pablo says so on his Terrifying Guitar Trip DVD (great buy, I'd highly recommend!)
Cheers guys, turns out Im better than I gave myself credit for, ive learned it using alternate picking all the way through :P

Do a week of exercises and BAM! I was playing Chili peppers last week and now its this

Me is pleased
I play the really fast ascending runs legato, then I do the first string of the descending line with legato since it's tough to get your pick over there in time, then I economy pick the rest of the way down.

Paul's a beast though, I think he economy picks the whole thing.
Quote by STONESHAKER
I play the really fast ascending runs legato, then I do the first string of the descending line with legato since it's tough to get your pick over there in time, then I economy pick the rest of the way down.

Paul's a beast though, I think he economy picks the whole thing.

Nope, alt picking all the way. He doesn't really economy pick, because it sucks (his words). I tend to agree, if you are not Frank Gambale or alike, economy picking is usually a different word for "I don't know wtf I am doing..".
he alternate picks the whole thing. the only reason he doesn't use economy picking is because it involves sweeping and he hates sweeps with a passion
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Alternate picking is the majority of what he does on that song. But at the same time I think if he wanted to get certain sounds he would use whatever technique he needed to facilitate that particular sound he was going for.
I have a weird habit of economy picking ascending scales and alternate picking descending runs?? And I would agree that most of the time I don't know WTF I'm doing
But after years of playing, I read an Yngwie interview where he says he mixes it up all the time and he is blazing fast.
Quote by django335
Alternate picking is the majority of what he does on that song. But at the same time I think if he wanted to get certain sounds he would use whatever technique he needed to facilitate that particular sound he was going for.
I have a weird habit of economy picking ascending scales and alternate picking descending runs?? And I would agree that most of the time I don't know WTF I'm doing
But after years of playing, I read an Yngwie interview where he says he mixes it up all the time and he is blazing fast.

I was watching a yngwie interview and the interviewer asked what kind of picking he used for some run he had played just prior to the question and yngwie was like "to tell you the truth I have no idea, I just pick it and it works"

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
@glenthemann

That's the one I saw! It made me so mad because all these years I thought when he picked fast he was using strict alternate strokes. I beat up on myself because I found it very hard to always do that! But Yngwie sounds great and achieves what he goes for so there you have it.
Quote by mdeeRocks
Nope, alt picking all the way. He doesn't really economy pick, because it sucks (his words). I tend to agree, if you are not Frank Gambale or alike, economy picking is usually a different word for "I don't know wtf I am doing..".

While I agree that a lot of people who "economy pick" dont practice their accents or timing enough; but so to do a lot of you nazi (alternate) pickers.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Deep*Kick

While I agree that a lot of people who "economy pick" dont practice their accents or timing enough; but so to do a lot of you nazi (alternate) pickers.

Most of people who say they "economy pick" just can't pick at all, they just do random picking.

Of course, there are notable exceptions to it, but economy picking is advanced technique and requires a lot of self discipline and even more practicing (on par with alternate picking), so when someone says "just economy pick" to a person who is obviously a beginner, I consider it bad advice.

And, please show me a video of Paul Gilbert advocating "economy picking", I'll give you 10 dollars for each.
Last edited by mdeeRocks at Aug 27, 2010,
Quote by mdeeRocks
Most of people who say they "economy pick" just can't pick at all, they just do random picking.

Of course, there are notable exceptions to it, but economy picking is advanced technique and requires a lot of self discipline and even more practicing (on par with alternate picking), so when someone says "just economy pick" to a person who is obviously a beginner, I consider it bad advice.

And, please show me a video of Paul Gilbert advocating "economy picking", I'll give you 10 dollars for each.

I'm not going to turn this into another econ vs alt picking shtstorm, you can pick however you want, I'm just saying it's not like all you Alt pickers are perfect. I won't find a video of any decent guitarist advocating a picking method or putting one down, because they all have their pros and cons for specific people.
Also PG uses only downstrokes a lot of the time when he's doing his string skipping legato stuff and almost always starts with an upstroke. He's not immortal ... Guthrie on the other hand....
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Quote by mdeeRocks

I just want to know how the **** im "obviously a beginner?"
Quote by Deep*Kick

Woah, woah, woah. What's this about us being Nazis? Eco guys are always parading their effeciency as the best thing ever.
Quote by Faded Grey
Woah, woah, woah. What's this about us being Nazis? Eco guys are always parading their effeciency as the best thing ever.

haha I just meant as in strict alternate pickers. Reminds me of marching, up down up down instead of left right left right.
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
for the 'chorus' riff (don't really know what else to call it), does anyone know the most efficient tab for it?

I know there's loads of ways of playing it, but the only one i know involves me contorting my hand a ridiculous amount and getting cramp

If someone could set me a link (or type it out if they're really generous) it would help me out so much