what's the best bass distortion pedals for heavy distorted crap like Cliff Burton?
best isn't something we can say tbh.

Cliff used a big muff
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90

Cliff used a big muff

And a tube screamer, if you just want to ape the sound. I think more of it comes from the tube screamer than the big muff.
Quote by YeahKyuss
what's the best bass distortion pedals for heavy distorted crap like Cliff Burton?

Probably the EBS Metal Drive bass distortion pedal. It is new, but it sounds incredible:

http://www.bass.se/
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
You want bass distortion? Get the Attack Goat
/thread
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Quote by King Of Suede
You want bass distortion? Get the Attack Goat
/thread

your opinion is not everyone's opinion.

and don't /thread when you give your opinion either, it makes you look like a dick
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
K bro, thanks for the pro tips. Next time stay on topic and possibly give your own input on the subject rather than shooting down someone else's.
Just from one pro to another <333333333
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Last edited by King Of Suede at Aug 25, 2010,
get a russian big muff
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by King Of Suede
K bro, thanks for the pro tips. Next time stay on topic and possibly give your own input on the subject rather than shooting down someone else's.
Just from one pro to another <333333333

Shooting down somebody elses input =/= removing it from some sort of undeserving pedestal. He made a perfectly valid point.

On topic, it's hard to recommend a lot with such a brief description of what it is that you're after. I'd recommend the Big Muff as an all-round pedal without knowing any more info.
It depends,are we talking fuzz or distortion here...two different things
If you want to ape a Cliffy Burtony tone, you're after fuzz.The attack goat is pretty gnarly, but Ive only heard sound clips. Personally I'd avoid a straight up big muff on bass,as you'll just kiss your low end good bye. Cliff used them because there simply was nothing else to use back then. These days there is a bass big muff, a lot of people like em, though I've never been wowed by one in the flesh as it were. I personally use an MXR Blowtorch bass fuzz,gives a great, versatile slightly synthy fuzz tone, with a 3 band eq and 3 band mid-switch,plus volume and gain,and a less/more fuzz button...if I want a really brutal tone I then run my old Boss ODB-3 over the top of that for a buzzy screeching tone, ideal for a dirty bass solo, but the odb-3 on its own's pretty lack lustre. If you're after a more standard metal distorted tone then the Lomenzo Hyperdrive,as already suggested is brilliant, I've spent an hour or so messing with one and it produces some great heavy tones as well as more subtle overdriven riffy ones, and has a very good price (about 40-50 quid)
Hope that helps a bit
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by Ziphoblat
Shooting down somebody elses input =/= removing it from some sort of undeserving pedestal. He made a perfectly valid point.

Hardly put it on a pedestal. And he could have easily said "I disagree, here's what I think" but instead, he just said "You're opinion isn't everyone else's"

I didn't try to say "THIS IS THE BEST THING. ANYONE WHO DOESN'T LIKE IT IS A ******" I simply said my favorite pedal. TB is all about it and I just figured some people on this forum would know what I'm talking about. But apparently People on here just like to try to take dudes down a notch for no reason.

On topic: Attack Goat from Wounded Paw.
Quote by Banjocal
@ everyone arguing over retardedness: Get over yourselves and drop it. All of you. Don't care who started it, just drop it. That's the kind of crap I'd expect from a GUITARIST, not bassist. C'mon, we're better than that. Before I go an get mah BOOMSTICK! rawr.

ON TOPIC: Yeah, Cliff used some of Mustaine's stuff too. Using guitar pedals on a bass really doesn't sound so great, IMO. If you want to sound like him, go for the tube screamer and play with it. I also swear by any boss bass distortion pedals. Them's the stuff, for the cheap.
i have the XO big muff pi fuzz/distortion. i love the thing it has a bass boost and the dry setting basically allows you to mix you clean signal with the distorted using your volume as a mixer.
Quote by SMbassist
That's the kind of crap I'd expect from a GUITARIST, not bassist. C'mon, we're better than that.

Virtual high-5
Quote by Ghefly
Virtual high-5

You mean the ?
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss