Page 1 of 2
ok, i kind of have this set up in another thread, but it was to identify the guitar. so now that i know it's a samick, plywood chinese piece of junk i will start making this re-uild thread.

this is just for me to experiment and learn, and have some fun below are the pics up to now.

heres a new guitar i got, my friend gave it to me free... i'm gonna totally sand it down, re-finish, and get rid of that gay ass dragon thing. at this point i don't know if i want to even put any money into it.

]

I'M GONNA GIVE YOU A BAD CASE OF SOMEONE SHOT ME IN THE HEAD!!!
YAY crappy guitar, now complete with a monkey handle...

i sanded it, yep it's crappy chinese plywood.... looks like we gotta give it a solid finish ... looks like swirling it is that answer.

well here it is with primer, and the green i put on the pickguard.

Just wondering, what kind of primer ate you using? Just normal household primer?

Guitarist for 11+ years
Bassist for 6+ years
Drummer for 5+ months

PSN account - DeadAimHeadshot
Get a mirrored pickguard. Or do what Steve Vai did, and glue little mirror squares (like on a disco ball) all over the body.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Diminishedfaith
Just wondering, what kind of primer ate you using? Just normal household primer?

yeah just regular household primer. i realize i'm probably not using the right stuff... but i'm just doing this for fun. and i'm gonna swirl it this weekend.
Quote by smartalec007
Get a mirrored pickguard. Or do what Steve Vai did, and glue little mirror squares (like on a disco ball) all over the body.

that would be pretty cool, but i'm gonna swirl it, so i don't think little mirrors would help.
HOORAY for GREEN!!!!

this is the headstock

white

green

green striped
Is it humid where you are? the paints looking pretty rough and runny. And I hope for the sake of your well being that you weren't spraying towards that SUV
looks like you've got some bad runs going on.

Guitarist for 11+ years
Bassist for 6+ years
Drummer for 5+ months

it's a little bit humid today it was raining, but i think i just sprayed to much on. i have some fine grit sandpaper to take out the runs after it dries before i dip it. after i do that it will hide any imperfections in the paint, this is mostly just a green undercolor.

i wasn't spraying toward my xterra, but when i was in the garage spraying the body the civic was in there, and there was a nice lite film of green all over everything, it was just dry paint so it sprayed right off but it was kida weird.
just make sure you're not using automotive paint, it sucks on guitars, trust me , i know from expierience lol.

Guitarist for 11+ years
Bassist for 6+ years
Drummer for 5+ months

Damn man. I tried using that same green paint about two weeks ago and I had a lot of trouble with runs and big drops shooting everywhere. It also never really set up, even after a few days and after putting on a clear coat. It's weird stuff. If I were you, I'd wait a few days for it to harden up (if it will) before you put any more paint on it. I waited about a day and then after I put clear on, it would scrape entirely off with just a little pressure while sanding. Either way, good luck man.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Last edited by salsawords at Aug 24, 2010,
few days?

my dad did his guitar sprayed a coat, let it dry, sprayed a coat let it dry, etc, then let it hang and dry for a couple of WEEKS then buffed it to shine instead of adding a clearcoat

also my dumbass did my guitar in 2 days with a clearcoat at the beach with humidity and it looked like crap. runs all in it, was thin paint, and the clearcoat clouded up due to the humidity

Guitarist for 11+ years
Bassist for 6+ years
Drummer for 5+ months

Last edited by Diminishedfaith at Aug 24, 2010,
Did your dad use this paint? I've used other color coats and primers and stuff, and this stuff is just different. It didn't ever get hard, and when sanded, it clumps up on the sandpaper instead of turning into fine dust. That's why I'm thinking it might harden up more after a few days.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

well no it's not automotive paint, but there might be a problem with this kind of paint... who knows. but i didn't put clearcoat on the body, just the headstock, and it's done, i'm not putting a clear coat on the body until after finish the paint job. i'm going to swirl it. then i"m just gonna give it a little clear cost, it's pretty good at not dripping.
Quote by salsawords
Did your dad use this paint? I've used other color coats and primers and stuff, and this stuff is just different. It didn't ever get hard, and when sanded, it clumps up on the sandpaper instead of turning into fine dust. That's why I'm thinking it might harden up more after a few days.

i've used this clear on other things, and it does get hard after a few days, hard shinny and smooth.... you don't even need to buff it, but you gotta let it set a while.
one thing you guys gotta remember too is i don't care about this guitar. it was free, and i'm using it to learn how to do stuff it's like a training guitar.
Quote by Diminishedfaith
just make sure you're not using automotive paint, it sucks on guitars, trust me , i know from expierience lol.

I usually use automotive paint on my guitars, and it always turns out good for me. Maybe i'm just getting lucky.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Quote by the1967mustang
I usually use automotive paint on my guitars, and it always turns out good for me. Maybe i'm just getting lucky.

maybe your using the right kind of underpaint.

well it had a chance to sit and dry overnight, and the visible runs are there which i don't care about since i'll be swirling it. but the physical bumps are pretty much gone, so it's good just to leave be
what colors are you swirling it with? I think a black would be cool, maybe black and white.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
heres the pics

i have to let it dry, then clear coat it and put everything back together, do a set up, hope the neck isn't ruined. and then it will be good

That looks badass.
Gear:
Jackson DXMG
Schecter 006 Deluxe
BC Rich Revenge Warlock
Jasmine Acoustic
Peavey Vypyr 30
wowzzzaa!! that's intense
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
Quote by BKMC
That swirl is terrible IMO

may i ask why? whats wrong, this is my first time doing it, so i'm looking for feedback and advice
got the clear coat on, now just gotta let that dry and it's time to put the guitar back together..
The black paint didn't disperse very well on the front it needs to be more even.

And the monkey grip is misshapen.

=(
I think the swirl looks pretty good! Very good for first time.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Quote by BKMC
The black paint didn't disperse very well on the front it needs to be more even.

And the monkey grip is misshapen.

=(

well it's all in the pattern on the water surface, and i do agree, that there isn't enought black on the front, the monkey grip is only messed up because if a slip of my hand with the jigsaw... LOL.
here it is the jemcaster all done, pics and all

yeah it's just crappy spray on laquer from home depot...
i think the orange peel sorta works with the swirl and gives a bit more character to it
Ben

GEAR:
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Deluxe
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
Blackstar ht-5 head
Blackstar ht-408 cab
Landola V72 Acoustic
Seymour Duncan Woody SC

Quote by lolometer1
Wanna be sex buddies?
Quote by housemd
nope.