So before I begin I'd like to say I play guitar as a hobby and I mostly like doing covers.
Most of the stuff I cover is metal and metalcore (BFMV, As I lay dying, Caliban, Parkway drive etc)

What I'd like is a setup that would let me instantly recall an artists preset and for artists like BFMV change presets within a song (for example clean verse distorted chorus).

So my current idea is to get a 6505+ 1x12 combo, and a Pod XT Live and connect it the effects loop. But since I know the Pod XT live can do amp modeling and simulation I was wondering if a cab + power amp would be more versatile in this case.

That said, I currently have a Pod GX that I use with some studio monitors and pod farm but I find that Revalver MK III sounds more realistic. The problem with that is there is no Revalver floor device, therefore I can't change presets instantly and I need a computer when I go gigging.

So what does the community think, is the Pod XT Live + 6505+ versatile enough to play all the music I want or is there a better solution?
I have a Pod X3 Live and a Digitech RP1000.

Honestly, I think the RP1000 may be a better fit for you. It has a dedicated amp loop AND effects loop. Plus, with recent price drops, the RP1000 can be found very cheap.

If you have your mind set on the 6505+ then I would get the RP1000, if you would rather have a power amp then I would get the X3 Live. I would NOT, under any circumstances, get the older XT Live as they just don't sound as good as the newer X3 Live series.
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Honestly though, I would wait if I were you. Line 6 has their new "Pod HD500" coming out and we should start seeing more information about it in a few weeks. Rumor has it that its going to be the best sounding modeler on the market (going head to head against the Axe FX).
Those are high claims, but Line 6 might actually pull it off. Actually, if they come even close then I would recommend buying it as it'll be MUCH cheaper.
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
My first amp was the Spider 4 75 watt (solid state). I liked the built in preset system (even if it was hard to navigate) however I didn't think the amp sounded all that great.

I have seen (but not seriously used) the Spider tube but I don't have an good initial impression from it.

Moving along, I don't have any sort of amp at the moment; I sold my previous amps when I decided to get more serious. I've only used solid state modeling amps with a "cheap" guitar. At the moment though I've upgraded to a Godin Redline 2 with EMGs and I'm getting an Ibanez in the near future (probably with D-Activator pickups).

I'm considering getting a vavleking, since they aren't too expensive and seem to have a good amount of natural gain.

I should have mentioned I live in Canada and my budget is $1000 max, I'm aiming to spend a bit less though since I don't usually gig and I only practice maybe twice a week, however I don't want to buy a bunch of stuff I'm not happy with either.

I have had digitech stuff in the past (nothing as highend as the RP1000) but the lower end stuff never impressed me.

I can get a really good deal on a Pod XT live right now thus why I'm considering buying it. From what I hear though the best thing about the X3 is it's stereo mode. Other than that it's supposed be similar to the XT Live.
I kind of want to say your best bet is going to be getting a dedicating preamp modeller and a separate poweramp, but you really wouldn't do yourself any harm getting a 5150. You can always take the output of the preamp and run it into the FX return on the 5150 and you would only be using the poweramp of the 5150.
I have a huge fear if rays.
Quote by edude03
My first amp was the Spider 4 75 watt (solid state). I liked the built in preset system (even if it was hard to navigate) however I didn't think the amp sounded all that great.

I have seen (but not seriously used) the Spider tube but I don't have an good initial impression from it.

Moving along, I don't have any sort of amp at the moment; I sold my previous amps when I decided to get more serious. I've only used solid state modeling amps with a "cheap" guitar. At the moment though I've upgraded to a Godin Redline 2 with EMGs and I'm getting an Ibanez in the near future (probably with D-Activator pickups).

I'm considering getting a vavleking, since they aren't too expensive and seem to have a good amount of natural gain.

I should have mentioned I live in Canada and my budget is $1000 max, I'm aiming to spend a bit less though since I don't usually gig and I only practice maybe twice a week, however I don't want to buy a bunch of stuff I'm not happy with either.

I have had digitech stuff in the past (nothing as highend as the RP1000) but the lower end stuff never impressed me.

I can get a really good deal on a Pod XT live right now thus why I'm considering buying it. From what I hear though the best thing about the X3 is it's stereo mode. Other than that it's supposed be similar to the XT Live.

I agree with you 100% on Digitech products. I have always stayed clear of them as I always hated their cheap RP250, RP50 line of amp modelers. Even their "High End" GNX series didn't sound good to me. However, this RP1000 is a completely different monster and integrates with a tube amp MUCH better then the POD will. Like I said, I own both and for your setup, it would be the RP1000 hands down. Listen to a few Youtube clips and I'm sure you'll be impressed.
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
That said, I'm leaning toward getting a clean head and going with the pod.

I got offered a Crate Powerblock + a Pod XT for 400, all I need is a cab and I'd have myself a nice setup.

I have no idea how this would sound compared to a Vavleking + modeling pedal or 6505+ & modeling pedal or any of my other options.
Pod XTs sound too digital for me. They don't sound as bad when through a tube amp (as the natural EQ compression can kill a bit of fizz). But when plugged straight into a FRFR setup (like the powerblock) they just don't come off as sounding natural.

Now, perhaps this is just my opinion.......but out of all the setup options you've listed, the POD XT + Crate Powerblock seems to be the worst of the bunch. Now, there ARE people that have used this setup. But you also have to think about future growth and long term tone. Do you want something that you can actually play live with (and sound good)? If so, a real tube amp and modeler would be a much better sonic solution for you.

Now, to be fair, I DID own a Pod XT Live for about 2 years prior to owning the Pod X3 live. I loved it when I owned it, but its also VERY outdated by today's standards. So, perhaps you might like it, but I think if you bought it and heard some other good modeling gear, that you wouldn't keep the XT for long.
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Last edited by theraven871 at Aug 23, 2010,