Hello!
So I got my Blackheart Handsomedevil 15 watter tube amp.

So I played with it with my NEW band in a rehearsal. And...
I think it wasn't enough to stand out in the mix...
Is this possible with a 15 watt tube amp?

I don't know if it's my ears... cause this was like the 3rd rehearsal with this Cover band... but... at least when I go for a solo, even full cranked, pushed with a ts-9 full volume. I can't get throught the mix...
Even when playing like AC/DC in the rythmn parts, I barely can hear me... it seems the drums flood me... In rhythm parts i think it's almost enough... but I'm not sure...

I'm thinking about buying a volume boost pedal to use it at solos, and the problem might be solved. About rhythm... I will need to try diferent combinations, ds-1, ts-9, big muff... and I think i can get it... but any opinions?

I got the Head and Cab. Gibson Lespaul Classic 1960.

Also, maybe getting a 4x12 cab, or 2x12 will help?
I got a friend who rehearsals with a blackstar ht-5 full cranked and he can get throught the mix, and I can't with a 15 watter?

Any opinions will be welcome.
GUITARS: Gibson Les Paul Classic 1960
PEDALBOARD: TC POLYTUNE, GCB-95(mod)CRYBABY, MXR DYNACOMP, WAMPLER SUPERPLEXTORTION, TS-9, BIG MUFF, SMALL STONE, SMALL CLONE, MALEKKO EKKO 616, DR SCIENTIST MINI REVERBERATOR
MY COVERS
SELLING TS-9 w/ TB MOD
Last edited by Teque86 at Aug 25, 2010,
A 4x12 or even 2x12 cab would help increase your volume and also give you a "fuller" sound.
Hmm.

Pres - 1 clock
Bass - 11 clock
Mid - 4 clock (i know mids is the way to standout in a mix right?
Treble - 9 clock
PEDALBOARD: TC POLYTUNE, GCB-95(mod)CRYBABY, MXR DYNACOMP, WAMPLER SUPERPLEXTORTION, TS-9, BIG MUFF, SMALL STONE, SMALL CLONE, MALEKKO EKKO 616, DR SCIENTIST MINI REVERBERATOR
MY COVERS
SELLING TS-9 w/ TB MOD
make sure it's set to the 15w mode (if it has multiple wattage settings) and really get the volume going.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I would put everything at 12 o clock to start and see if things are standing out better, after that adjust to taste.
Quote by stykerwolf
Set everything at 10, you should slay your drummer unless he's kingkong and using buildings for sticks with stadiums for hi-hats

Fukken SIGGED.
How are your tubes looking, no issues there right? Your cables are good?

Is it even loud?
Blackstar ID:15TVP
2001 MIA Strat (SD '59/Stock/CustomCustom)
Early 80s Fernandes The Revival '57
I use a Handsome Devil for rehearsal but mic it. I have the volume at about 12 o'clock doing that. I use a 100 watt halfstack for shows, but the HD gets me through practice just fine.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
I did crank everything and it seemed not enough.
One thing I'm 100% sure, the amp, tubes, cables, cabinet. They are all ok. The amp is ****ING loud, but when drums come... forget it

Another thing, I'm using the 15 wat mode ALWAYS.
I let it warm up for 30 mins, before playing. I'm not a noob, I'm not saying that anyone called me that, I'm not trying to start a flame war.

This sunday I will try it again...
MY COVERS
SELLING TS-9 w/ TB MOD
Quote by Rio38
I use a Handsome Devil for rehearsal but mic it. I have the volume at about 12 o'clock doing that. I use a 100 watt halfstack for shows, but the HD gets me through practice just fine.

You use it at rehearsals mic'ed? Hmm, in rehearsals I always like to hear it straigh from the amp, I thought this amp supposed to work in rehearsals that way, but maybe it's my ears...

(sry for double posting)
MY COVERS
SELLING TS-9 w/ TB MOD
Quote by Teque86

Even when playing like AC/DC in the rythmn parts, I barely can hear me... it seems the drums flood me... In rhythm parts i think it's almost enough... but I'm not sure...

How high is the Master? Most of the way up? What's your speaker efficiency?
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
it's cranked man! cranked - maxed
what do you mean speaker efficiency?
MY COVERS
SELLING TS-9 w/ TB MOD
You might have to tell your drummer to back off. He shouldn't be beating the living hell out of the drums anyway. 15 watts should be hella loud.
Quote by Teque86
it's cranked man! cranked - maxed
what do you mean speaker efficiency?

Every speaker has a power efficiency associated with it. Greenbacks are 96dB whereas something like a G12H30 or V30 will be 100dB.

Speaker efficiency, also known as speaker sensitivity, is a measure of the speaker's output, measured in decibels, with a specified amount of amplifier power. For example, speaker efficiency is often measured with a microphone (connected to a sound level meter) placed one meter from the speaker . One watt of power is delivered to the speaker and the level meter measures the volume in decibels. The output level results in a measure of efficiency. Speakers range in efficiency or sensitivity from about 85dB (very inefficient) up to 105dB (very efficient). As a comparison, a speaker with 85 dB efficiency rating will take twice the amplifier power to reach to same volume as a speaker with 88 dB efficiency. Similarly, a speaker with a 88 dB efficiency rating will require ten times more power than a speaker with a 98 dB efficiency rating to play at the same level. If you're starting with a 100 watt/channel receiver, you would need 1000 watts (!) of power output to double the perceived volume level.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I know right? 15 watts should be fine even if he's king kong like some1 said!

might be my ears... the other guitarrist said i was a bit TOO MUCH loud... might be the amp/cab position, it was facing the drums... I don't know.

Here's the speaker specs:

# » 16 Ohm
# » Handling 75W RMS
# » 15 ply (18mm) thick, void-free Plywood Construction
# » 12" Blackheart Model 1216B by Eminence Speaker has a British Voicing and is optimized for closed back cabinet
# » 2 Parallel Speaker Jacks

Might change the speaker to celestion.
Or buy a blackstar 2x12 cab that has celestions in it.
MY COVERS
SELLING TS-9 w/ TB MOD
It's similar to a StoneHenge, which is 102dB.

Try putting the amp up on a table or something so the cab is nearer to ear level. It's probably just blowing your ankles off so you're not noticing.

Tilting your cabinet, or putting it on a chair/stand will help a little. Warming your amp up for 30 minutes isn't necessary though..
gonna try the cab on a table then.

thanks for all the help, hope you all liked the pic
MY COVERS
SELLING TS-9 w/ TB MOD