I have a Stratocaster style twin pivot floating bridge.

Lets cut right to it ---

In standard tuning with 2 springs it floats centered but just touching the whammy bar changes the pitch of the note. So as I goto grab it in anticipation of that harmonic im going to pull up i bend notes, by accident.

So, I put an extra spring. Now I have to wrestle with it, it doesn't float anymore, its locked down, so I can only bend notes down.(Not a big issue)
Also, it is so strong that when i let go it is snapping back, it sends a vibration through the guitars body and buzzez all the strings. I bet it will chip the paint off too.

Can I possibly get longer springs so they don't cause as much tension, maybe mix and match some short and longer ones until I find the right balance I like?

Also... would it be stupid to put felt underneath the bridge? Give it a cushion to help stop the vibrations?
there should be some screws on the 'thing' the springs attatch to, just unscrew them (with 3 springs) and you should be ok. i f you want me to i'll take a pic of my guitar and show you what i mean, i just hope you know what i mean without me taking pictures xD
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Did you try to loosen the 2 bolts in the back that hold the claw? That should relieve some tension....other than that I don't know,I've never had a problem...I use 4 strings 3 in a row on top ,skip one and then one on the bottom and it floats
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Quote by Dempsey68
there should be some screws on the 'thing' the springs attatch to, just unscrew them (with 3 springs) and you should be ok. i f you want me to i'll take a pic of my guitar and show you what i mean, i just hope you know what i mean without me taking pictures xD

Lol. I do. But the screws, how far into the guitar do they go? They must be pretty long to withstand all the tension.
Also, any if I do loosen them -- how much do I need to leave still inside the wood? I would think more than half... I don't want to rip them out of the body.
Quote by JJ2003
Lol. I do. But the screws, how far into the guitar do they go? They must be pretty long to withstand all the tension.
Also, any if I do loosen them -- how much do I need to leave still inside the wood? I would think more than half... I don't want to rip them out of the body.

If you take them all the way out you should find that they're actually much longer than you think, so just adjust it to keep the tension right when you have 3 springs in and you should be fine
Hi! I'm Andrew, and when I have a bubble in my throat I sound like Alan Rickman!

I have the BEST Jizz Face on UG!

My YouTube Channel (slowmotion stuff!): www.youtube.com/wannabeguitarlegend
Quote by JJ2003

yeah they're a couple of inches long. and do it bit by bit, turn by turn. i've literally JUSt finished doing it with my ibanez, i lent it to someone and they managed to f*ck it up so i had to re-do everything, just unscrew them both equally, half turn then tune and see how far the bridge is, if still too high, de-tune, unscrew again, tune in if bridge still high repeat process until you get it right, it may take you an hour, it may take two but you'll get it right eventually. it just takes time.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by JJ2003
I have a Stratocaster style twin pivot floating bridge.

Lets cut right to it ---

In standard tuning with 2 springs it floats centered but just touching the whammy bar changes the pitch of the note. So as I goto grab it in anticipation of that harmonic im going to pull up i bend notes, by accident.

So, I put an extra spring. Now I have to wrestle with it, it doesn't float anymore, its locked down, so I can only bend notes down.(Not a big issue)
Also, it is so strong that when i let go it is snapping back, it sends a vibration through the guitars body and buzzez all the strings. I bet it will chip the paint off too.

Can I possibly get longer springs so they don't cause as much tension, maybe mix and match some short and longer ones until I find the right balance I like?

Also... would it be stupid to put felt underneath the bridge? Give it a cushion to help stop the vibrations?

I think realistically you want something with a locking setup like a Floyd Rose or a Kahler. If you're going with locking tuners (and your tuning isn't gonna hold well if you don't), you'll just have to experiment with springs. Put them at weird angles and things. You should have 5 holes in your trem block, and 5 notches to sit the rings on. go for some sideways van halen shit.
Last edited by Ali-b912 at Aug 23, 2010,
The screws from memory are about 2 inches long, but you won't have to loosen them too much, just loosen and re-tune, loosen and re-tune, lather rinse repeat until you're happy. The mistake most people make is loosening too much to their desired angle, and then tuning back up and knocking the bridge angle way out.