Page 1 of 4
What do you think of this? I don't like illegally downloading music cuz I like to support the artist. But if you buy a song from an artist who has died, then they aren't getting any money, instead it'll be in royalties and such. Maybe illegally a whole discography is a bit too far but maybe a song or two would be okay? What are you thoughts on this?
Kurt cobain and michael jackson seem to be doing pretty well from royalties.

i imagine the money is spent on a monthy cleaning of thier bones.

on prinicple, i dont illegally download, unless A: the band is a group of wankers who dont deserve it. or B: they are multi multi millionares.

even then, downloading illegally is wrong. support the artist and shizz
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
I don't see the problem, really Unless you think certain people have a right to money earned by people who were related to them and have since died.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
I illegally downloaded music whether the artist of the music is dead or alive, it really doesn't bother me

Rip Dime
most of the money goes to the record company anyways. if i wanna support a band I go to their shows and buy their merch
Ill support a band and buy their stuff if i think they deserve it, but if theyre dead or i dont know whether i like them or not ill download illegally. But then if i do decide i like them ill go back and actually buy the tracks. But if theyre dead who cares
I would say it doesn't matter if they're alive or dead, since if the artist themselves don't get the money, it goes to their family. Cobain may be dead, but if you're not supporting him, think of it as supporting his daughter (who probably needs something to get her away from her psychopathic mother).

Also, what about the other living band members? Lennon and Harrison may be dead, but McCartney and Starr still get royalties.

If the entire band is dead and has no family whatsoever to profit from it, then you might have something =P But this is just my opinion on the subject. I personally don't download music since I can just look it up on youtube or something until I buy the CD anyways.
Quote by KingEuphoric
Ill support a band and buy their stuff if i think they deserve it, but if theyre dead or i dont know whether i like them or not ill download illegally. But then if i do decide i like them ill go back and actually buy the tracks. But if theyre dead who cares

So if you're willing to illegally download (steal) someone's music because you think it's crap and decide they don't deserve your money because the music isn't that good, why do you deserve to have the music?
There are more people involved in making a song or album than just the band. You can't forget the producers, audio engineers, writers, session musicians, etc...
Quote by SoftOath
u mean grammar nazi...wait

grammar jesus = grammar nazi...then ....jesus = nazi!!!

omg

Quote by Zugunruhe
*squishes allan143 with a rolled up newspaper*

ok, now everyone can agree that mosquitoes are douchebags.

8/7/09 Night of the Pear II (i was there)
I download illegally anyway. Although I don't see why anyone would have any moral qualms about a dead artist not recieving money, unless they're worried about the record companies having to sleep on the streets tonight.

RIP Billy Mays
Quote by leg end
So if you're willing to illegally download (steal) someone's music because you think it's crap and decide they don't deserve your money because the music isn't that good, why do you deserve to have the music?

Because im not gonna pay for something that im not gonna keep or listen too. I think of it as like a 30 day free trial. If i like it i pay for it, if not i just get rid of it. Either way its exposure for the band regardless of whether i choose to pay for or get rid of their music.
Quote by KingEuphoric
Because im not gonna pay for something that im not gonna keep or listen too. I think of it as like a 30 day free trial. If i like it i pay for it, if not i just get rid of it. Either way its exposure for the band regardless of whether i choose to pay for or get rid of their music.

That didn't answer my question. You state in your previous post that you don't think a crap artist deserves your money because you don't like their music. Yet you deserve to have their music but you steal from them?

That "30 day free trail" is stupid. It's like any other product, with (most) products, you can't take it home without paying, use it for a month and decide whether you like it or not then take it back if you don't.
Quote by allan143
*iTunes Gift Cards are for Chumps*

I needed that laugh. Thanks.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Illegally downloading music is stealing from the record labels, not the artists. If enough people start doing it, music may be saved from capitalism.
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
Quote by HeavyReverb
Illegally downloading music is stealing from the record labels, not the artists. If enough people start doing it, music may be saved from capitalism.

Technically it's stealing from both, unless you send money to the artists.
Quote by leg end
What do you think of this? I don't like illegally downloading music cuz I like to support the artist. But if you buy a song from an artist who has died, then they aren't getting any money, instead it'll be in royalties and such. Maybe illegally a whole discography is a bit too far but maybe a song or two would be okay? What are you thoughts on this?

"Maybe stealing a hundred quid from my mate is a bit far. I'll just nick a fiver. That's fine."
Quote by Chubbychunks
"Maybe stealing a hundred quid from my mate is a bit far. I'll just nick a fiver. That's fine."

I understand your point there but it's devil's advocate. I don't download music illegally ever.
I download music regardless of whether they're dead or not.
Questions of science
Science and progress
Do not speak as loud as my heart
Quote by Jlovesmetal
I download music regardless of whether they're dead or not.

Likewise.

You're crossing the boundary of breaking the law either way, so it's a matter of whether you can placate your conscience.

I do just fine.
Stealing from a dead person is still stealing. Maybe downloading can be justified if you can't actually buy it from anywhere, but even so it isn't your right to listen to it.
Quote by leg end
That didn't answer my question. You state in your previous post that you don't think a crap artist deserves your money because you don't like their music. Yet you deserve to have their music but you steal from them?

That "30 day free trail" is stupid. It's like any other product, with (most) products, you can't take it home without paying, use it for a month and decide whether you like it or not then take it back if you don't.

Ok i guess i view it this way, if i go on youtube and watch their music for free then technically im still viewing their music and not giving them anything (partnership and stuff like that aside), so if i download it just to take a listen how is that different from watching it on youtube? I do the same thing there, if i listen and like it ill pay, if not then good for them they got a free view and im clear of it altogether. I dont see how downloading it to see if i like it and then paying for it if i do is any different.

And just to clarify if i dont like it i just delete it i dont keep it or pass it on or anything
Quote by Chubbychunks
Stealing from a dead person is still stealing. Maybe downloading can be justified if you can't actually buy it from anywhere, but even so it isn't your right to listen to it.

So I can't listen to music I didn't pay for?
I illegally download music because I am cheap.

I would rather spend my money on gear.
My care cup is empty. I just download whatever.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
I usually only download music when I really love listening to it but can't afford the album. I put them onto a list and when I get money I try and clear off that list by buying the albums or putting them onto christmas lists etc. I feel morally fine when downloading.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
i do it. i hear the poppy flower will be available to download soon. not like van gogh is gonna get any of that 35 mil.
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th
Quote by Banjocal
Kurt cobain and michael jackson seem to be doing pretty well from royalties.

i imagine the money is spent on a monthy cleaning of thier bones.

on prinicple, i dont illegally download, unless A: the band is a group of wankers who dont deserve it. or B: they are multi multi millionares.

even then, downloading illegally is wrong. support the artist and shizz

You're supporting the label. You support the artist by buying merchandise and going to shows.

That said, I buy music too. Unless it's from one of the Major Labels.
Quote by Pagan-Pie
You're supporting the label. You support the artist by buying merchandise and going to shows.

That said, I buy music too. Unless it's from one of the Major Labels.

The label gives the artist new contracts based on previous sales, among other things. You're still stealing from the artist.
I'm 15 and i just dont have the money to buy, so i download

would the band rather me not buy the song or download it? dont know but its a point of discussion :P
Quote by Bridge_H
I would say it doesn't matter if they're alive or dead, since if the artist themselves don't get the money, it goes to their family. Cobain may be dead, but if you're not supporting him, think of it as supporting his daughter (who probably needs something to get her away from her psychopathic mother).

Lol. Frances Cobain is living in her own house with her grandmother, getting something like $13000 a month from Kurt's estate, and she's got a restraining order on Courtney. I wouldn't worry about her too much.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Last edited by MortifiedLizard at Aug 23, 2010,
I'd be just fine to never make a cent from the music I make. I do it because I enjoy it, I don't think somebody deserves my money because I like a song that they made. Though I wouldn't mind buying merch if I really like the band and paying to go see concerts
Proud follower of Åkerfeldtism

P S T F I N D E R

Quote by FFTLxx
Uhh there was this guy who didn't get any of the questions in some exam so he put 2 pencils in his nose and headbutted the desk.. and died.. that's pretty stupid.

I only download music to test it. If I like it, I buy the album. If I don't, I'll wipe it of my hard-drive anyway .

wether the artist is dead or alive doesn't seem relevant to me, I just like having a physical copy of the albums.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by KeepOnRotting
The label gives the artist new contracts based on previous sales, among other things. You're still stealing from the artist.

Not if I buy the things I like and delete the things I don't. I mostly listen to fairly underground music anyway, where downloading helps the artist.

Furthermore, it's not my fault the music industry is shit. I'm not going to pay ridiculous amounts of money for music whenever most of it is going to the giant corporation which is pushing the prices up in the first place. If the money went to the artist, I wouldn't mind.

Furthermore furthermore, I don't want to fund the notion that mainstream popularity = a career in music.
Quote by KingEuphoric
Ok i guess i view it this way, if i go on youtube and watch their music for free then technically im still viewing their music and not giving them anything (partnership and stuff like that aside), so if i download it just to take a listen how is that different from watching it on youtube? I do the same thing there, if i listen and like it ill pay, if not then good for them they got a free view and im clear of it altogether. I dont see how downloading it to see if i like it and then paying for it if i do is any different.

And just to clarify if i dont like it i just delete it i dont keep it or pass it on or anything

Youtube is a service to provide that sort of thing. The videos (should be) uploaded by an official for the artist, with the artist's permission. However, people somehow get hold of these videos and upload them themselves. If a service is provided with the intent of letting you access free music legally, then so be it, use it. However, illegally downloading the song is not like watching it on Youtube. After you download it you have the POSSIBILITY of sharing it, taking with you and getting all the advantages of a paid for MP3, whereas with Youtube, you don't.

And you still didn't answer my original question.
I love illegal downloading.

Also, this one time I took my girl out to this nice restaurant. We had the most amazing waiter. He was nice, attentive, fast, and really friendly. We had a great meal and everything just went perfect. So he brings out the check and it's $35 for the 2 of us. Well obviously that restaurant is made up of greedy ****s, so I refused to tip my awesome waiter because I hate his bosses. Totally showed them.
Check out my band Disturbed
Page 1 of 4