So this morning I was playing my mexican strat and was just really displeased with the lack of sustain, as usual. I started feeling somewhat crafty and fashioned a small piece of hardwood (unsure of what type of wood, it was lying in my garage and i know it's a hardwood) and put it behind my bridge and backed the bridge down onto it to transfer the sustain. It might just be me but I think it sounds way better with way more sustain. Anybody heard of anything like this?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
"This is The End, beautiful friend, The End"
yes adding more mass to your guitar will increase sustain....it`s normally added to the headstock though....look up the fat finger......basically a lump of metal that you clip to the headstock
Quote by ibanezgod1973
yes adding more mass to your guitar will increase sustain....it`s normally added to the headstock though....look up the fat finger......basically a lump of metal that you clip to the headstock

I've done that with my capo, with slightly noticable results.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
just seen the pic it wasn`t visable before...you`ve basically blocked the trem which is common among players who have a trem equipped guitar but don`t use it........
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Aug 23, 2010,
Steve Vai said in a guitar world interview that before he could use a sustainer he would rest the headstock of the guitar on his cab while he was recording and the resonance would make the guitar vibrate and give him more sustain to work with. I tried it once but it was a little awkward since I have a combo.
Me and my girlfriend were in a guitar store one day.

My GF- What's the difference between Gibson and Epiphone?

Me- (Explains)

GF- So Epiphone is like Gibson's slutty little sister?

Me- I love you.
Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Steve Vai said in a guitar world interview that before he could use a sustainer he would rest the headstock of the guitar on his cab while he was recording and the resonance would make the guitar vibrate and give him more sustain to work with. I tried it once but it was a little awkward since I have a combo.

go grab your guitar and whilst unplugged rest the headstock against a wooden door and play a couple of chords/notes..........observe the result
Quote by ibanezgod1973
go grab your guitar and whilst unplugged rest the headstock against a wooden door and play a couple of chords/notes..........observe the result

Tried it, pretty sure I just came a little.

Me- (Explains)

Me- I love you.
Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Tried it, pretty sure I just came a little.

and now you`ll be playing with it all night
Quote by ibanezgod1973

Probably, that should give me something to do until my new amp gets here.

Me- (Explains)

Me- I love you.
I have to be honest this thread almost made my head explode. Can it really be this easy? Well I guess you learn something new everyday.

Quote by ibanezgod1973

Lol, my life story
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Seriously? This is incredibly common to the point of being standard. However, if you honestly had never heard of this before, and came to this idea on your own then congrats, because that's the perfect solution.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Seriously? This is incredibly common to the point of being standard. However, if you honestly had never heard of this before, and came to this idea on your own then congrats, because that's the perfect solution.

When I looked at the picture I thought exactly the same thing and LOL'ed.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
On the subject of sustain, is the fat finger particularly effective? Sustain in a basswood trem equipped guitar has always been something making me slightly annoyed - it isn't bad, but my SZR (solid mahogany, fixed bridge) just sustains forever and I love it.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
Quote by diceksox1809
Chappers did it here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkj8p4Z3Rjg&feature=search

Congrats though on the find! I think I may do that soon to mine. Can you still use your wammy?

No you can't use the trem when it's blocked.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Quote by ibanezgod1973

I just scratched the hell out of my bedroom door

Quote by a_hub10
I keep my Schecter in dropped D all the time, and i didn't buy an attachment of any kind.

Quote by CraftyTrickster
You should just tell the seller: ¡Boludo!
I had never really looked into why strat sustain sucks so much. Like somebody else said I knew blocking was possible I was just doubtful that I did it right because it was so easy.
"This is The End, beautiful friend, The End"
Quote by haceteunosmates
I just scratched the hell out of my bedroom door

that`s what happens when you buy any pointy guitar other than ibanez