Univeristy costs over $20,000 a year but in Canada we only end up paying like $6,000ish or so since I think 2\3 of it is subsidized. Is it like that in the U.S?
Nope, we gotta pay for every single penny, especially if you got student loans.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Quote by Steel8909
Univeristy costs over $20,000 a year but in Canada we only end up paying like $6,000ish or so since I think 2\3 of it is subsidized. Is it like that in the U.S?
I have no idea how to respond to this since I'm also Canadian, but what are you doing paying $6000 for tuition? My brother pays barely over $2000 a year ($2200-2400 I think), his grand total of dorm rental + tuition is around $8000 or so for the whole school year.
Damn that sucks we got it lucky here but still some people complain. There was this article in the student newspaper and some bitch was complaining about only getting $7 a day ($49 a week) from the government haha That's a lot fo money.
thank god no. However financial aid is pretty easy to get from the govt.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
I go to an in-state public school and I pay roughly $15,000 a year. Most private schools of the same caliber are $30,000-$50,000.
Quote by Pat_s1t
I have no idea how to respond to this since I'm also Canadian, but what are you doing paying $6000 for tuition? My brother pays barely over $2000 a year ($2200-2400 I think), his grand total of dorm rental + tuition is around $8000 or so for the whole school year.

I also went to college for a year and tuition was around 3,000 a year. It really depends what program you're in and wheter it's a University or community college\ shopping mall basement college lol
It depends on where you go, the US actually offers a lot.

The prestigious will cost you 40,000-50,000, but there are a lot of grants offered to those deserving (you still end up paying probably 15,000)

State schools are 15,000-20,000

In my city, schools are around 8,000 and at the same caliber as most states

and community college is around 5,000.

But, there are some colleges such as Cooper Union that let you go for free if you're talented enough. If you have a lot to offer, so will the school. College has become more of a cop-out of real life here in my opinion, so I guess large student loans may make sure someone gets a job and be active in society.

I'm transferring to Canada next semester, I'm paying $14,000 this year.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Do you remember when a college education was unique? Me neither. Now they can't get enough students through the doors, so they ramp up admission costs.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Quote by Steel8909
I also went to college for a year and tuition was around 3,000 a year. It really depends what program you're in and wheter it's a University or community college\ shopping mall basement college lol
He goes to the Memorial University of Newfoundland out in St. Jonh's. Pretty nice school, has one of the highest rated research facilities in Canada, especially if you're researching anything geological or marine in nature.
I got paid £30 a week to go to college. Although i know it's not the same thing in England.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Quote by Ponyexpress
Would they let an American go to college in Canada? cause with these prices I'm considering it...

I know a few americans attending uni here, although I don't know what all was involved in it. I just know that the prices they paid for school, food, housing, etc was still lower than just going in the states.
University is free in Scotland. Win. I get a bursary/loan for living costs.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by DangerPat 00
It depends on where you go, the US actually offers a lot.

The prestigious will cost you 40,000-50,000, but there are a lot of grants offered to those deserving (you still end up paying probably 15,000)

State schools are 15,000-20,000

In my city, schools are around 8,000 and at the same caliber as most states

and community college is around 5,000.

But, there are some colleges such as Cooper Union that let you go for free if you're talented enough. If you have a lot to offer, so will the school. College has become more of a cop-out of real life here in my opinion, so I guess large student loans may make sure someone gets a job and be active in society.

Are you retarded? You need a college degree to do most jobs required to keep society running. If anything, avoiding college is a cop-out from taking personal responsibility to further your own potential.

Also, grants are for those whose parents make under a certain income because it assumed that one's parent's will pay for college. It leaves out the people like me, who pay for almost all of their education through private loans due to their parents not paying for college. It's not "those who deserve them" at all, since it ignores the fact that many students will graduate with upwards of $50,000 in debt.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
No
Tick tock and waiting for the meteor
This clock is opening another door
Quote by Ponyexpress
Would they let an American go to college in Canada? cause with these prices I'm considering it...

Yeah, but you won't get the lower tuition rates unless your state has a reciprocity agreement with the province in which the school you plan on attending is located.

For instance, I'm from Minnesota, so I can get the "in state" tuition rate from any school in North Dakota (and South Dakota?), Wisconsin, and Manitoba.
Quote by KeepOnRotting
I know a few americans attending uni here, although I don't know what all was involved in it. I just know that the prices they paid for school, food, housing, etc was still lower than just going in the states.

That's definetley something to think about then isn't it.... I'm in New York so evenb if I went to College in Canada it wouldn't be too far from home.
Quote by Sintu
Yeah, but you won't get the lower tuition rates unless your state has a reciprocity agreement with the province in which the school you plan on attending is located.

For instance, I'm from Minnesota, so I can get the "in state" tuition rate from any school in North Dakota (and South Dakota?), Wisconsin, and Manitoba.

oh
Quote by Ponyexpress
That's definetley something to think about then isn't it.... I'm in New York so evenb if I went to College in Canada it wouldn't be too far from home.

What do you want to go to university for? For my undergrad it's something a bit below 7k tuition without any aid, I don't think the international tuition cost is considerably higher.

That's at U of T which is the top school in Canada and is ranked I believe in the top 25 internationally.

edit: It's too early, I'm not sure what the exact cost for tuition is right now. All I know is that I'm getting a sweet amount of aid and I'm barely paying anything for my undergrad.
Last edited by Thrashtastic15 at Aug 23, 2010,
Quote by Ponyexpress

Yea we have a lot of international students ( specifically Russians I dont knwo why lol) but they're not being subsidized. Though some countries subsidize international students, my sister went to France, tuition was equlivant to $500 Canadian dollars or something.
Quote by Das_Skittles
Are you retarded? You need a college degree to do most jobs required to keep society running. If anything, avoiding college is a cop-out from taking personal responsibility to further your own potential.

Also, grants are for those whose parents make under a certain income because it assumed that one's parent's will pay for college. It leaves out the people like me, who pay for almost all of their education through private loans due to their parents not paying for college. It's not "those who deserve them" at all, since it ignores the fact that many students will graduate with upwards of $50,000 in debt.

Are you?
I got all kinds of grants for school. Army ftw!!!!!
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Steel8909
Yea we have a lot of international students ( specifically Russians I dont knwo why lol) but they're not being subsidized. Though some countries subsidize international students, my sister went to France, tuition was equlivant to $500 Canadian dollars or something.
Hmm...

Notice that Canada borders the US in the above picture.
Also notice The Cold War.

Conclusion:
Last edited by Pat_s1t at Aug 23, 2010,
What the shit. I'm crossing the border to Canada after high school.
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

E-Married to the sexy DarkConcertine

and Jon777 .

Inb4 'Lol Im scottish'.

Disclaimer: By reading the above post, you agree that El Hilliaro is legally and morally free from any responsiblity should any harm be incurred by said post.

Also, you agree that I'm awesome and own all your stuff now.
Quote by Holy Katana
Nope, and that's why I'm stuck going to community college right now.

I'm stuck not going anywhere right now. I'm broke as fuck. Hopefully I will be able to go next semester.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Quote by Pat_s1t

Damn Newfies. Most unis here are 6-7k and colleges 3-4k and as someone stated private ones are pricey, up to 15-30k.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?